Coc#3 Cert In 2010

Malice

Right now I can close my CoC2 about 3 out of every 5 attemts. My goal for this year is to get certified on the CoC#3. It's a lofty goal but I WILL accomplish it...cuz that's what I do. If anyone else wants to join me in the quest post up here. We can use this thread as our motivation and to cheer each other on.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malice

• Jörmungandr

• daniel reinard

• Cannon

All the best. :)

I suppose you can close COC2 CCS. Did you already tried to close #3 CCS and what is the result ?

Best of luck !

I wasn't going to aim for the #3 at all.

But... Having now closed the #2 in this little time made me get a bloodied tooth. I want to close that damn number three!

So, hell yeah! Why not! Let's smash those handles!

Edited by Jörmungandr

I will join you guys. I won't say that it will happen, but I will try my best to get it done in the next 9 months! I can MMS a 139lb gripper now and my #3's are between 152-155lbs.

I suppose you can close COC2 CCS. Did you already tried to close #3 CCS and what is the result ?

Best of luck !

Yeah, all my closes are CCS. I can get the #3 a little past half way right now starting with a CCS.

I'll be certing on the #3 this year. Probably in late June.

I'm about at the same point as you with my 3. So I'll try and shoot for a #4 close but MMS though. :blink Did I just write that? :unsure Oh crap!

Very cool! How close are you now?

Zach, do you happen to be referring to Summer Strong June 26 at Sorinex as when you are going to certify the #3?

Alright, finally I have the time to write a more serious post.

Where I am at: I can close the #2 if my hand is fresh, using mash monster set. Tried doing a CCS but that kicked my ass. Left hand, closing the #1,5 with a MMS.

Where I am going: I will close the #3 this year. However, setting my goal on becoming a certified CoC this year is to high for me. The credit card set is a bitch really, can't get any leverage with so little of my fingers on the handles.

How I am going to get there: With blood and guts!

Zach, do you happen to be referring to Summer Strong June 26 at Sorinex as when you are going to certify the #3?

Yeah. I'd love to cert at Summer Strong. I know a few others are planning on some certs at Summer Strong too.

My best CCS attempt on my decent strength #3 was within 1/4" of closed. That was my 2nd attempt. I've also CCS'd my 140+ RB260, so I'm close.

Yeah. I'd love to cert at Summer Strong. I know a few others are planning on some certs at Summer Strong too.

My best CCS attempt on my decent strength #3 was within 1/4" of closed. That was my 2nd attempt. I've also CCS'd my 140+ RB260, so I'm close.

If things go right for me and I can get off work for a couple of days, I will be going for my cert at Summer Strong as well.

Looks like we're at a pretty similar strength right now (I never practice CCS, but my best TNS is a 140lb #3), just wondering what your current MMS close is? I'm curious because I was going to wait until the end of the year to do my CoC cert, but maybe I'll take a shot sooner :blush

That's awesome Craig! It'll be cert-frenzy down at Sorinex. I think and know a few others were interested in certing down there if they manage to make it down.

Looks like we're at a pretty similar strength right now (I never practice CCS, but my best TNS is a 140lb #3), just wondering what your current MMS close is? I'm curious because I was going to wait until the end of the year to do my CoC cert, but maybe I'll take a shot sooner blush.gif

164ish SE is my best MMS.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

I'm going to have to start working on MMS as well as CCS. It seems like working MMS on a heavier gripper would help with the close on the lighter grippers since you're not using up so much energy on the sweep before hitting the "hard" part of the close. Kinda like working partials on other lifts.

I'm going to have to start working on MMS as well as CCS. It seems like working MMS on a heavier gripper would help with the close on the lighter grippers since you're not using up so much energy on the sweep before hitting the "hard" part of the close. Kinda like working partials on other lifts.

It was and remains the general consensus on the board here that training MMS and only MMS transfers to CCS closes better than training CCS closes.

It was and remains the general consensus on the board here that training MMS and only MMS transfers to CCS closes better than training CCS closes.

Really? Is that because the final crush is the most difficult part of the close? So in other words I should just train from a MMS and NOT from a CCS?

Really? Is that because the final crush is the most difficult part of the close? So in other words I should just train from a MMS and NOT from a CCS?

Really really. Your hand is creating the most force at the close, the most tension, etc. I can't speak exactly as to why it is better to train MMS because I don't know, I just know it works better than training CCS or TNS closes when the end goal is a bigger gripper close.

I haven't ever focused on CCS training before, but I'd venture to guess that adding in the occasional wider-set training and CCS attempts/closes would be beneficial.

Speaking from my experience with the CCS. It is definitely a technical thing that needs to be worked with until you are pretty comfortable with it, if Ironmind certification is your goal. Once I established a way that was the best for me the closes became a lot more routine. I do agree with Zach, and the majority of the rest of the board, that higher tension grippers help out with getting the final grind of the handles. However, the CCS should be practiced a lot though and made comfortable to you, especially leading up to a possible certification attempt, otherwise it can bite you in the rear come cert day.

Maybe I'll do MMS and CCS on alternating workouts just to cover all the bases. I just did a gripper workout and used MMS this time with a choke and was actually able to MMS my #2.5 with my right hand. Still about 1/4" away with the left. I still can't close the 2.5 with CCS in the right hand either but I'll get there.