Heath Sexton

EricMilfeld

I hope the judges pass the video, I will rest some as my hands are pretty puffy and dead feeling and then I will train for a couple more weeks. I will get a break then for spring practice with my football team and then back to it. I don't know if I would have enough time to work towards the MM7 or not, I bet it's a real bear, because summer time is not real good for me and gripper training.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bearcat 74

• Bill Piche

• Cannon

• Paul Knight

3 whites. All I can say is WOW. This makes Heath the 4th man in the world to close this gripper!

3 whites. All I can say is WOW. This makes Heath the 4th man in the world to close this gripper!

Fantastic! Way to go Heath!

Glad it passed. :)

Thanks to Bill and Eric for keeping the certs running smoothly!

And thanks to Matt Cannon too! Without him, the wheels would run off the train track at the end of the tunnel! mosher.gif

Awesome!

Congrats Heath! :mosher

congrats offically!!!!

And thanks to Matt Cannon too! Without him, the wheels would run off the train track at the end of the tunnel! mosher.gif

I forgot Matt does the cert pages, thanks Matt!

Did you do anything different in your training this time around?

I think I was a lot smarter with my training and sticking with the plan I had started, I also trained a lot less.

I went back to my old routine when I was clicking along years back and whatta know, it worked!! smile.gif

Great work Heath! So this old routine... I am simply in awe of your ability to ramp up for this. What's this old routine like?

Did you do anything different in your training this time around?

I think I was a lot smarter with my training and sticking with the plan I had started, I also trained a lot less.

I went back to my old routine when I was clicking along years back and whatta know, it worked!! smile.gif

Great work Heath! So this old routine... I am simply in awe of your ability to ramp up for this. What's this old routine like?

I have done about everything imaginable for gripper training and it has all worked at some point or to some degree. I really think I was at my highest peak around 2001-2003 and it was because I trained so little. I have noticed over the years that when I ramp training high volume with KTA for example I will gain and gain and then regress in a couple weeks and I think it is because I don't recover well and the volume/load is too high. I got great results from KTA the first time through and still use a lot of the info.

After reading a Dan john article on the power of 10 I started noticing in my gripper training I had the same thing going on, I had 10 working reps in my, doesn't matter how I do them I got 10 and that's it. When I cross that line I backpeddle. I also looked at how Kinney did things, gripper 2x per week - crazy volume only Joe could handle - and wrist/thumb on seperate days than grippers. When I did the Ditillo plan I used, if I went over 10 reps for more than a couple weeks I was in teh tank, I had to stop at 3x3+1 or else.

My old routine was just that. Instead of trying for a max close this time around I substituted choker work and I added strapholds back in. So it looked like this:

Day One

Warm-Up

tx10

1x8

2x4

3x1

Work Reps

Heavy Choker

Heavy Choker

Heavy Choker

Negative

BBEx1

Straphold

Straphold

Straphold

That is 8 good reps with high intensity, I don't count the 3x1 on the workload. Sometimes I would try to double the 1st or 2nd choker close, add a negative, whatever just don't go over 10. I always try to finish on a completed rep also, if I miss the 3rd straphold I just finish with an overcrush on a 3.

2 days later I will do wrist work - plate wrist curls, rolling thunder wrist curls, something.

2 days later I will do 3-4 negatives with a heavy gripper, close a 3 for a single and that's it.

The same thing has worked for pinch or whatever else. I got in to the mindset of the more work I do the stronger I will get and it just does not work like that for me. I was overtrained badly.

This has pretty good carryover because when I was trying to figure out how I was going to do the mm6, I trained Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday/Tuesday/Wednesday and was still strong enough to close the gripper Wednesday night.

Paul Knight made a great point about having your biceps and triceps strong also, I hate to curl, but I have been working arms, along with everything else hard and my strength has came up.

For the first time since I started gripper I actually listened to myself, if I felt like I needed to rest, I rested. Here is my training log at farmstrength, the last few pages are where I started back on the old program: http://www.farmstrength.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12

Hope all that blabber makes some sense.

Congratulations Heath! What a great feat!

Thanks for sharing your routine. :rock

Congratulations and thanks for the insight on your routine.

Awesome Heath, and thanks for the reply and link to your log.

MM6...amazing! bowdown.gif

Heath,

Great Job!!!!

Congratulations on an awesome accomplishment!

Thanks guys

Awesome, Heath :mosher

Awesome achievement. Congratulations! Also, thanks for sharing your training program.