Chris James Training Log

ChrisJames

I have found that the WR for a normal grip 1HDL is like 151kg...

Is this true? And is this for a thumb over grip (no hook of course)? Chris when you say "thumbless" do you mean thumb under the bar or over the bar but no hook?

Good lifting!

I don't think it is. I think it might be my old record on David Horne's site but I'm sure Nick McKinless did a better unofficial one and I'm also fairly sure (if my iffy PC lets me I'll check) that someone in the USAWA did more. I did more than that yesterday in training (4 x 1 with 160 right handed).

USAWA site server is off at the mo and my PC is not being helpful when I clicked on the pdf's over at the IAWA UK site so I'm unable to double check.

Steve,

I had a look and can't see as they have a One-Hand Deadlift Record with Thumbless Grip on the site - didn't Andrew set that record recently?

I see after checking that 140kg / 308lbs is the USAWA Record.

Hmmm, on the IAWA site there are Thumbless Records (in a different section which is why I couldn't locate them before) - Highest Lifts appear to be 115.7kg Left / 120.2kg Right.

Record are up to date as of 30-Oct-2009.

All there (Oz, US and UK) versions all have weight, sex and age classes so I don't know what division Andy's record was set it. Andy's was, I think, 275lbs. So the 308 beats that. I'm also not sure if they straddle or, as per Andy's, do it to the front.

Hello Wade ,

Its a variation that Goerner used to do , its like doing a Rolling thunder lift with thumbless grip, sort of cupping your hand but around an olympic bar instead.

I do four variations of the one hand deadlift..

1. On the ends of first joint of the hand

2. Thumbless grip

3.Normal grip

4. Hook grip

All there (Oz, US and UK) versions all have weight, sex and age classes so I don't know what division Andy's record was set it. Andy's was, I think, 275lbs. So the 308 beats that. I'm also not sure if they straddle or, as per Andy's, do it to the front.

Andy pulled 308lbs and could've smoked a cigarette it was so relaxed.

I have found that the WR for a normal grip 1HDL is like 151kg...

Is this true? And is this for a thumb over grip (no hook of course)? Chris when you say "thumbless" do you mean thumb under the bar or over the bar but no hook?

Good lifting!

Wade, this is what I have found, feel free to do some more research but that's the biggest "official" lift I've found. And I believe it's a thumb over grip (no hook of course).

The 151kg lift is Frank Ciavattone, I think.

29 MARCH MONDAY

Rolling Thunder chins ... 3 sets of 10 , 5 reps x 20k , 5 reps x 30k , 3 reps x 40k , 3 x 50 kg

Thin rope chins .. 3 x 10 , 10k x 5, 20k x 5 , 30k x 5 , 40k x 5 , 50k x 3 , 50k x 3

2.5 inch bar reverse thumbless curls ... 25k x 10 , 35k x 10, 45k x 5, 50 x 3 x 3

The 151kg lift is Frank Ciavattone, I think.

You're right Florian. I know it's "official" that everyone is interested in, but I'm positive that number could be broken by about half a dozen guys on this board on the right bar. I think Al Myers and I would've broken that record on the day we did our 275lb one-hand thumbless-grip deadlift last November if we had given it a shot. It was a very grippy bar. I think Andy would destroy that lift and probably do around 352lbs or closer to 374lbs on a decent bar if motivated.

31st MARCH WEDNESDAY

Olympic squats .. up to 200k x 5 x 2 sets

Leg extentions .. 40k x 20 x 3 sets

Leg curls.. 80k x 10 x 3 sets

Calf raises .. 230k x 20 x 3 sets

Reverse curl on preacher machine ... Full stack plus 40k x 5 x 3sets

Abs

1st APRIL THURSDAY

Surprise visit from Nathan Holle today , Nathan's about 6 feet 4 now and about 230 lbs and looking muscular.

He came down for a chat but we ended up in my garage having a little training session.

On to the nitty gritty ...

After lifting the Thomas Inch a few times to warm up , Nathan chalked up and attempted the Apollon bell weighing 232 lbs and deadlifted it to lockout !!

Then after warming up !!! on the No 4 for 3 closes in a row he shut the the pro elite or something like that (sorry i'm hopeless with all the gripper names) anyway its the next one down from the hardest that Mr Tetting does.

He then set the Vulcan gripper to level 22 and shut that aswell !

Both of us then worked up to 150 kg for aset of 5 on the Gorrilla grip machine.

Back in the house (i was summoned by my 7 yearold daughter because my kids were hungry again !!) i gave the Robert Baraban grip dynameter to Nathan to try and he squeezed a massive 120 kg on it !!

The most ever done if i remember correctly.

We will arrange another training session soon but at his place next time and hopefully i will deadlift the Apollon wheel replica again with one hand , this time taking a video for the board !!

Before anybody asks Nathan is a private person and did not want to be filmed when i asked him.

He is however as Gazza will testify a true gent.

Sounds like a great session Chris, Nathan still sounds like a beast. Whats the handle size of the Apollon bell? Is it the same as the Inch.

31st MARCH WEDNESDAY

Olympic squats .. up to 200k x 5 x 2 sets

Leg extentions .. 40k x 20 x 3 sets

Leg curls.. 80k x 10 x 3 sets

Calf raises .. 230k x 20 x 3 sets

Reverse curl on preacher machine ... Full stack plus 40k x 5 x 3sets

Abs

1st APRIL THURSDAY

Surprise visit from Nathan Holle today , Nathan's about 6 feet 4 now and about 230 lbs and looking muscular.

He came down for a chat but we ended up in my garage having a little training session.

On to the nitty gritty ...

After lifting the Thomas Inch a few times to warm up , Nathan chalked up and attempted the Apollon bell weighing 232 lbs and deadlifted it to lockout !!

Then after warming up !!! on the No 4 for 3 closes in a row he shut the the pro elite or something like that (sorry i'm hopeless with all the gripper names) anyway its the next one down from the hardest that Mr Tetting does.

He then set the Vulcan gripper to level 22 and shut that aswell !

Both of us then worked up to 150 kg for aset of 5 on the Gorrilla grip machine.

Back in the house (i was summoned by my 7 yearold daughter because my kids were hungry again !!) i gave the Robert Baraban grip dynameter to Nathan to try and he squeezed a massive 120 kg on it !!

The most ever done if i remember correctly.

We will arrange another training session soon but at his place next time and hopefully i will deadlift the Apollon wheel replica again with one hand , this time taking a video for the board !!

Before anybody asks Nathan is a private person and did not want to be filmed when i asked him.

He is however as Gazza will testify a true gent.

Good one Chris! ;)

Ha Ha that wasn't April fools guys , that really happened , Nathan is that strong !!!

Handle on the Apollon is the same as the Inch .

3 APRIL SATURDAY

Log press .. up to 143 kg x 5

Dumbbell standing press ... up to 60k dumbbells x 8

Bent rows .. 200k x 5 x 3 sets

Lat pull downs ... Full stack x 10 x 3 sets

For real? WOW! I suspected it, but then it just fell together too well, that amount of

incredible performance and the date. So Nathan Holle closed the BB Pro? God, he must be right

up there with Kinney by now. Too bad he's not too inclined to make himself public.

Sounds like you both had a great training session. Can you please tell us something about that Tetting gripper Nathan closed? Was it one of yours? Sounds like it must be the biggest Gripper ever closed then.

If that really happened, that is awesome! However... you're going to deadlift the Apollon's wheels with ONE hand? What wheel are we talking about here?

Yeah that would be an awesome accomplishment too. As far as I know it happened once

before, done by Ernest Cadine of France in the 1920s or so.

If that really happened, that is awesome! However... you're going to deadlift the Apollon's wheels with ONE hand? What wheel are we talking about here?

A replica. It needs to be 366lbs and using a 2-inch bar with large wheel like ends. See if Chris can post a photo.