Old #1 vs new #1

Guest Russell Latterman

Guest Russell Latterman

How much harder is the old #1 than the new #1.  I'll have to say that I think the new #1 is too easy.  Brookfield's book says that the #1 can't be closed by most guys who lift weights.  The #1 that I have can be closed by a lot of people who lift weights.

I just recently got a custom Beef Builder Master with more narrow handles.  It is easier than it is supposed to be since the spring was modified.  I would say that it is equal to a #1.7 in comparison.  To close the #2, you would need to be able to close this one about 5 times.  Is this similar to an old #1?

Hi Russell-

It's really too hard to tell.  It's now clear that COCs, old and new, are no testiment to scientific precision.

How narrow are your handles on the master in centimeters?  I just got two in the mail today and they measure 8.2cm and 8.7cm.  I came within 2mm of closing the narrower one and shade under a cm to close the wider one.  My training partners COC #2 is 7.0cm and I am consistent with that one.  My #2 is 7.2cm.  It's surprising what 2 wimpy mm can add for resistance!  But I'm almost consistent with that one (I can get it at least once every workout).  The 8.2cm Master is a bit harder than my 7.2cm #2.  Isn't this fun!?!?!?!?  This is what we are reduced to.  I should just send in everything I have to PDA.

As far as your #1, you may just have a narrow one.  What's the measurement on that?  I would imagine that a "tough" new one is comparable to an "easy" old one.

How much extra is it to get a custom one?  I'd be interested in seeing if they could narrow and Elite for me.

BC.

Actually, I think it’s even more complex than bseedot has described, if you can believe it.  The handles being wider can be a function of 2 different things.  First, if the handles are mounted far out from the spring then the ends of the handles will be far apart, but the gripper will be easier because of the increase leverage afforded by the end being farther from the spring.   See pictures of two #1’s on the grippage HERE  See both the top two pictures.

Second, the angle between the two posts of the spring can also vary.  If the angle is small, then the gripper is easier than a gripper with the same handle mount.

Some people have reported that their ends are far apart and thus their gripper must be harder, this is not immediately true without considering the handle mount and spring post angle.

The old #1’s were harder because the angle between the posts was larger AND the handles were mounted deeper (the way a properly made Master is now).  Merely saying that the distance between the ends of the handles is wide is not enough information because the mount of the handle and spring angle makes a difference too.

Exactly Tom.

That's why one 3 can be easier or a batch of 3's.  If they get made where the handles are closer, and the handles are mounted LOWER, then that combined together will make it an "easier" 3.

Get the combo where the handles are farther and the handles mounted up higher, you get a harder gripper.

Thanks Tom.  I guess I knew that, but the handle mount on my COCs are all comparable so I try to not think about that :) I did notice that the handle mounts on the Master are #### near touching the coil of the spring, which is much closer than any of my COCs.

Guest Radiulis

Just got my Elite in the mail yesterday and I'm planning on sending it back. The handles were over 10CM out of the bag!!! After a dozen forced closes they got down to about 9.7cm. I find this to be ridiculously wide and will probably send it back for an exchance since i was looking for something easier than a 4 not harder.

Handle mounting doesn't give this gripper any advantage and one of them actually seems to be mounted a little shallower than the other as they are unevenly matched when force closing.

Wow, that's the widest gripper I've ever heard of!  Barbender has a 9.3 cm #1, but I seem to remember it was some kind of reject bought at a discount.  When we all sent our gripper measurements into the grippage HERE the Masters and Elites were pretty consistent at 8.2 and 8.4 cm, respectively.  Yours sounds like the spring was made too wide, and the handles mounted incorrectly.   I sure hope the quality of the Beef Builders grippers does not drop.

WOW Pedro, that is ridiculous.  Even Gorilla Hands would probably wince at that width! :biggrin:

Tom, from reports I noticed here lately the Beef Builders quality has dropped off a LOT.

A gripper that wide and with handles mounted askew should not be sold at full price. Hand grippers are expected to have some variance but that is no excuse to sell a gripper with dimensions beyond what is considered normal. With all the grippers from Weightlifter's Warehouse being sent back, maybe they should offer those same grippers at a substantial discount. WW could unload some stock and some people could get a low cost gripper.

I had the same problem-

I bought an elite that was much harder than my #4. I traded it for a bench shirt. It was a good trade, cause there was no way I could ever fit my hands around that gripper.

My father in law has a really narrow #2 with offset handles. I can close it easily with either hand, compared to the #2 that I have.  His #2 isn't much harder than my #1.

Very interesting about the Masters and Elites.  When I ordered my two Masters last week, the guy said that if I have any with them to call and he'd exchange them.  At the time I just thought it was good PR, but after hearing the stories here, I don't know...

You'd think that if they knew they had some problems they'd look at the grippers before they ship them.  It's not like they're sealed in a bag like the COCs...

Anyway, glad I apparently lucked out.

BC.

Bob, what issue of MILO are you going to be in?  June?

Guest Russell Latterman

The handles on the custom gripper are 6.4 cm apart.  My #1 is exactly the same width.  My friend also has a #1 and it is slightly easier than mine with the same width handles.

6.4cm is a perfect width for me to train with, but the custopm gripper is weaker than I was expecting.  It cost me ำ.  If you wanted an elite with narrow handles, you should probably order the super elite because it will lose A LOT of tension when it's modified. Call Weightlifter's Warehouse to ask about a custom gripper.

(Edited by Russell Latterman at 1:59 pm on May 13, 2001)

I should be in the June issue... I thought I was gonna be in the March one. I had everything sent in by the end or middle of February.

I just measured my grippers.

My 1-4 are all around 7.5 cm apart, give or take 2mm.

These are guesses, but my father in-laws #2 is closer to 6.5, and the elite I had was closer to 9.

Guest Sarpedon

Hey Todd... You seem to miss the point entirely. The

grippers aren't a competition, so precision is much

less important. I had questions about my grippers.

I thought they were all understrength, because the

men in my family could close them all. Still, the jumps

between the grippers seem regular enough to allow for

progression, and I am doing a great job with what is

nominally a 2, having started on the T. There's been

a marked improvement in my grip, and that's the point.

While I agree that if you are improving your grip, they are a valuable tool, but I certainly disagree when you say they are not a competition.  What exactly is the captains of crush if not a competition?  The idea is you earn your way into an elite group that can all close the #3 gripper.  Its very hard to know where you're at when there are so many variables involved.  Much better to shoot for  400# deadlift on a 2" bar.  At least 400 lbs is always 400 lbs, and 2" is always 2".  I'm not trying to be arguementative about this, its just disappointing to work very hard to close the #2 gripper and think you're working toward the #3 only to find out your #2 may only be a 1.5 or something.  :(

The grippers will vary from one batch to another, depending on materials made from, who makes them, what year it is, etc.  I just bought a bunch of grippers from IronMind, and I immediately noticed the gap difference between the old grippers that I have and the new ones I just got.  You can get custom made grippers produced by Warren Tetting if you are so inclined - I am, because I decided some grippers I have are just too wide for my hands!  Anyone that can close a #3 whether an old gripper or a new gripper STILL has one #### of a crushing grip, if ya ask me....

Well, once PDA starts making them you will KNOW exactly what in-lbs you have.

You can also get them tested by PDA.

Funny that the only COC so far to get their 3 tested (in his case a lot of grippers) that I know of is Mr. Sorin.

Guest InchDisciple

Sybersnott you stated a while back that you had closed the #3 .  Are you going to get certified ? Do you have any pics of this ? Can you still do it ? Also you once said you were writing a  book on Captains of Crush . What happened to this project ?