Martin Closes The #4 Right And Nearly Left!

Gripmasters

Thanks guys! :)

The man has very strong forearms and a mastery of efficient closing technique. However,the deep set , old "plain stamped" #4 gripper and lack of credit card set don't give me a clear idea of just what feat I was seeing as far as "merit". I would be greatly interested him squeezing a new gripper #4 under certification standards, I am sure he would do quite well. RS

I always thought deep set were < parallell, and I always set wider then parallell. But I guess folk have different views on what's what. And why I used just that #4, is because that's the first one I ever bought. Lack of CCS? Merit?

You have been around this community for ages. And therefore you should know what is a good performance gripperwise. But instead you list serveral things to question my accomplishment. If it were a cert attempt, then the video would have shown a cert attempt too. Good job!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Martin_Arildsson

• Cannon

• Geralt

• climber511

Yes, I have been around grip for ages but kindly don't tell me what I "should" know. "Merit" simply is a comparison against a standard or existing mark. What ever you did is an acomplishment, I was just trying in my mind to compare it against what I have personally seen before or what is now is considered "the standard" . I was giving you credit for "what I saw" and simply asking how with a man of your strength would fare under a certification type scenerio. R Sorin

Yes, I have been around grip for ages but kindly don't tell me what I "should" know. "Merit" simply is a comparison against a standard or existing mark. What ever you did is an acomplishment, I was just trying in my mind to compare it against what I have personally seen before or what is now is considered "the standard" . I was giving you credit for "what I saw" and simply asking how with a man of your strength would fare under a certification type scenerio. R Sorin

Ok, thanks. I might have misunderstood as I'm just a simle norseman :) You can always compare it to all other #4 closes out there. What "the standard" is I cannot say, as there is many different standards regarding gripper closes.

I don't want to speak for Martin but I used to watch all his videos a few years ago, as he was posting some incredible things and I believe he held or got very close to holding the Euro 2HP record in competition. In training he was lifting in excess of 115kg pretty easily 3 years ago and was in my non-expert opinion one of the best, if not the best, at that particular event.

Gripper-wise he was a monster too. This video is from August 2008, so about 3.5 years ago.... he barely missed the #3.5 with a CCS and gets it with his right. Here it is, the quality is not very good though. I have no idea what he's been up to lately.... Martin are you training or planning to get back to that level??

I don't think there is anyone on the planet that would beat Martin in a comp featuring just the Euro 2HP and grippers right and left (MMS or CCS). It is extremely rare for someone to be this strong in both of these events. A couple of guys would be able to keep up with him until it is time for the non-dominant hand to close some heavy grippers.

Sick Martin! To tell everyone the truth, it was your videos that inspired me to train grip, hahaha.

PS: Vader - This is the War, helps with training grip, lol.

Choked

MMS

Various Block Sets

CCS

TNS

If you hand a gripper to people who aren’t into our little piece of the sport – they almost always do something very close to a Table No Set in our terms. I’ve never seen anyone whip out a Credit Card and put it between the handles or squeeze it down to parallel before trying it – without being shown that by someone. The chart above shows “sets” from easiest to hardest. As soon as we leave the TNS – EVERY single thing we do is “contrived” in some way or another and might be considered an artificial way to make the close either easier or harder than another in some way. I don’t see any single set as “the standard” – I see each as a different test of just what they are. Will the Iron Mind Credit Card Set become the one and only standard – who knows? But at least for now – there exists several “tests of strength” along with “certifications” and “lists” etc with grippers. Some people accept only one of these – others choose to accept each but as a different test of what is being done. As long as things are done honestly – I accept all of them.

I've come to think of the different sets as being like raw vs gear in powerlifting. most guys who do grip know that there's a difference between a tns and a mms that doesn't make a big gripper close less legit it just means things are different. especially when you take into account what the goal is the different sets are more or less useful. ie, grip comps vs IM certs.

Choked

MMS

Various Block Sets

CCS

TNS

If you hand a gripper to people who aren’t into our little piece of the sport – they almost always do something very close to a Table No Set in our terms. I’ve never seen anyone whip out a Credit Card and put it between the handles or squeeze it down to parallel before trying it – without being shown that by someone. The chart above shows “sets” from easiest to hardest. As soon as we leave the TNS – EVERY single thing we do is “contrived” in some way or another and might be considered an artificial way to make the close either easier or harder than another in some way. I don’t see any single set as “the standard” – I see each as a different test of just what they are. Will the Iron Mind Credit Card Set become the one and only standard – who knows? But at least for now – there exists several “tests of strength” along with “certifications” and “lists” etc with grippers. Some people accept only one of these – others choose to accept each but as a different test of what is being done. As long as things are done honestly – I accept all of them.

Climber,

This is quite possibly the best post I have ever seen on this subject. I couldn't agree more.

Tom

Sick Martin! To tell everyone the truth, it was your videos that inspired me to train grip, hahaha.

PS: Vader - This is the War, helps with training grip, lol.

Thanks! That's cool! Good luck with your training.

I usually play Vader to get instant strength increase :)

Choked

MMS

Various Block Sets

CCS

TNS

I agree with you!