Dino Grip Challenge Update

bencrush

I'm sorry to make a late announcement like this, but there was some miscommunication on my end and I thought that the scoring system used in the Dino Grip Challenge in 2 weeks was going to simply be the highest total poundage wins. My mistake though. The scoring is going to be standard USAWA scoring. The Lynch Formula and age-adjustment is what the USAWA uses. The strongest lifters usually end up winning anyway, so I don't see this really changing the outcome much. It doesn't mean an 80-year old man can lift 1/4 the weight of Andrew and win it just because of his age. The formula DOES allow different weights and ages to compete against each other on a more level playing field though. Here is a link to the formulas used:

Lynch Formula & Age-Adjusted

On an unrelated note, I trained with Al today at the Dino Gym and we had an excellent time. He did some remarkable performances and the group of strongman competitors on the other side of his gym did some really strong stuff too.

This is the last time I'll say it: YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS SEEING AL'S GYM! He has more neat stuff in one gym than I've seen in the amassed collections of any half dozen gyms put together.

He'll have 2 Inch Replicas and 2 loadable Inch Trainers plus 1 oversize Inch Trainer set out for the contest. He has Rolling Thunders, Ironmind R-Handles, a half dozen 2" and 1" vbars, tons of blobs, big set of progressively heavier kettlebells, Ironmind Axle, lots of great weightlifting bars, backlift machine, reverse hyper, knurled Axle, replica Apollon's Wheels, full set of power stairs implements and loadable power stairs implements, full set of stones from 150lbs to north of 400lbs, train wheels, full highland games setup, tires, grippers - including a #3 that will slap most guys in the face for trying, and so much more stuff that I won't even try to type it out.

m95120.jpg

9q8tn6.jpg

This is Thom Van Vleck (USAWA member, MILO writer, Omega Strength Force Team, accomplished all-round lifter) lifting Al's Apollon's Wheels Replica overhead. Al MADE this replica himself! :whacked Weighs 240lbs and you can try it out at the contest if you'd like.

34ijr0m.jpg

Figured since I put up a photo of Thom, I'd put up one of him with someone recognizable to most guys here. :D

znoc5v.jpg

This is a picture of the Back Lift machine at the Dino Gym. Figured since I'm raving about the gym I might as well put up some pictures to draw in the guys who are on the fence. And if there are any ladies who are interested in competing that's great too! There will be a Women's class also.

2na0caf.jpg

Chad Ullom doing an Arthur Lift on the platform at the Dino Gym. Chad has done some sick weights on this lift! :mosher

6g8x75.jpg

Mark Mitchell doing a 455lb Reeves Deadlift at the Dino Gym! This is the highest I've heard about or seen a picture of.

35cergz.jpg

Steve Reeves showing us how it's done!

dqw4j.jpg

Bob Moore doing a 529lb Zercher Lift in a USAWA competition in 1992. Not done at the Dino Gym, but super impressive!

24m4x0z.jpg

Matt Graham (USAWA member at the time) pinching the Blob and (2) 45s before it was so common.

Matt Graham continental and jerking the Inch Replica in 2004.

Matt Graham's 540lb Axle DO deadlift in 2001. Hooked grip.

zksao1.jpg

Al Myers in the Dino Gym - with his Apollon's Wheels Replica comfortably overhead. Notice the strongman logs, stones, and other training equipment in the background.

2ebrdyf.jpg

Norb Schemansky lifting the real Apollon's Wheels.

2dloe3m.jpg

This is John Conner (USAWA member) repping (a triple) a 585lb barbell with a 2.5" handle. Notice the thumbless grip. Makes it look even neater to me.

mlmp1c.jpg

Frank Ciavattone (USAWA member) and his world record 562lb one-hand deadlift!

5cbq6e.jpg

Frank Ciavattone lifting the Dinnie Stones in 1995.

25rgt1c.jpg

Frank Ciavattone has done a 402lb one-hand Hack Lift.

2ljpyfb.jpg

Al Myers smashing a concrete block on Thom Van Vleck's chest while Thom is lying on a bed of nails! :mosher

WOW ! lots of great photos here, thank s!

You're welcome Steve! I figured some people would be irritated by the number of pictures I put up, lol. :)

2dloe3m.jpg

This is John Conner (USAWA member) repping (a triple) a 585lb barbell with a 2.5" handle. Notice the thumbless grip. Makes it look even neater to me.

mlmp1c.jpg

Frank Ciavattone (USAWA member) and his world record 562lb one-hand deadlift!

John Conner is a big 190 indeed :D

John Conner is a big 190 indeed :D

Haha! Yeah, that was a heck of a misunderstanding on my part last night. :laugh

great pics!

rico

So many lifts - so little time.

So many lifts - so little time.

Exactly what I thought! I did my best to try a little bit of everything though. Makes it very hard to concentrate and focus on the lift or handful of feats that I always go to his gym to work on though. I warned Josh that it'll be harder NOT to mess with all the strength equipment in the Dino Gym than the entire grip contest itself. If the guys are like me, it'll be impossible to restrain themselves from messing with a little of everything.

great pics!

rico

Thanks Parris!

Is that your regular gym? R there many grip guys there that u workout with? It seems like an awsome place to train, they have everything I would want in a gym.

Parris

I'm going to do my best to try everything I can after the comp is over. I can't wait. I still have an empty car if anyone wants a ride from Ohio. Driving down friday and coming home sunday.

6g8x75.jpg

Mark Mitchell doing a 455lb Reeves Deadlift at the Dino Gym! This is the highest I've heard about or seen a picture of.

35cergz.jpg

Steve Reeves showing us how it's done!

If I could choose how I'd like to be built - this picture of Reeves would be awful close! I just did a 315# lift - it hurt but I think I could do more in a contest setting. No way 455 though - no way!

Are you allowed to use any 45# plates? I used my newer model Yorks - something without sharp edges would help.

Edited by climber511

Thin, ripped and strong!

Rico