How Hard To Crush An Apple ?

gareththomasnz

There is this dude on the website www.ironpalm.com that can crush an apple with his hand.

I guess many here can do this ? He can break coconuts too, even swinging. Many martial arts types are highly critical of each other and of different training styles and I found a bunch of guys saying this dude is a scammer.

No way, his videos are amateur but he can indeed do the things he claims.

Anyway crushing an apple sounds easy like crushing a tomato. I tried and no fricken way can I do it. My gripper level is only about 250 lbs.

What I want to know from those of you that can crush an apple in your hand by squeezing it in mid air is how much can you crush with a gripper ?

At my level my finger tips made a slight dent. Its a very hard exercise.

Apple is real easy. Potato is getting up there. And it depends how you are "crushing" it. If you're digging your nails in, it's fairly easy feat, but if your fingers are flat over the apple or potato, stand back, you got a beast on your hands. Fingers flat is more pinch strength, even though it doesn't make sense, if you are new (not putting you down :) ).

Breaking coconuts with the back of your hand, however, is beastly. No thank you, I say. Brutal.

I've never tried it as I always end up eating the apple first. :whistel:D

From what I've heard most #3 closers and above should be able to do it without too much trouble though.

- Aaron

Yeah its a threshold with an apple if you can penetrate the first layer you can crush it.

I tried with an unripe hard one straight off the tree. Will try some from the shop.

Mashing a spud in your hand is insane. Maybe in a year I can try that.

Depends really what kind of apple is it.. Most are very easy to crush to juice. On my moms house live apple trees where grows very hard ones. Never be able to crush them.

As per Koura it depends on the apple, size, ripeness and so on. I think it's more of a show than anything else. That's why there's no videos of me squeezing food on youtube.

As per Koura it depends on the apple, size, ripeness and so on. I think it's more of a show than anything else. That's why there's no videos of me squeezing food on youtube.

Agree...ripeness is a big one. on the ground fruit vs. new on vine are quite different.

Stick to crushing the grippers, much better judgment of grip strength!

Often, this is one of those feats that people do when they want to avoid a direct comparison with others.

Another feat that is irritating, is the phone book tear. There are so many ways to do it, and to cheat.

When you don't use popping technique, you're doing it right.

Another feat that is irritating, is the phone book tear. There are so many ways to do it, and to cheat.

When you don't use popping technique, you're doing it right.

Yeah, but there are subtle variations, even to that. A true grip and rip is the only impressive way. I have seen a video of a guy with two huge phone books stacked, and he popped them with no difficulty. I was like, okay? I guess it's cool, for a party trick, but definitely not youtube/bragging worthy.

Good example of a nice tear.

Edited by Puller

I guess like they said - crush and pinch training

I'm getting into martial arts conditioning at the same time as my grip training.

They have iron palm, fist, forearm etc and there is eagle claw also.

Some exercises are the same like block lifts and wrist roller but the martial arts have some different ones too like rolling a heavy bar up and down on the forearms & steel rings.

Its well worth it for anybody into grip to research the martial arts hand and forearm conditioning methods.

They also have an excellent liniment called dit da jow specifically for hands. I cant live without the stuff now.

There is an ebook on ebay right now for about $5 called "iron palm in 100 days" - It will show you how to toughen your hands enough to break concrete in 3 months (all without arthritis).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180459415792

Now why wouldn't you wanna do that right ?

Edited by gareth

Is it just me or does that book look like a scam, there are many other things you could do with that 5$, anyways just use the internet, research Iron Palm, check out the web there are millions of techniques to develop this hand strength and toughness.

Its actually quite a good book - its an old one from the 60's - I couldn't find it for download anywhere.

$5 is nothing. There is another older one called instant iron palm that is in the public domain - its from the 30's.

Its on torrent but is in Chinese - I'm gunna pay a student to translate it next week.

I got john brookfeild's books in the mail today too - they are great like everybody says.

I can tell you right now how to do iron palm but you will need to get your stances right as time goes on, that doesn't matter so much at the start.

First get an iron palm bag - mine cost $7 from a martial arts shop.

Second get some dit da jow liniment - I get mine from a nearby chinese herbal shop for $10. There are dozens of suppliers for DDJ on the net now.

Don't train without the dit da jow.

Next you want to do a little warm up session, just shake your hands and stretch them, rotate shoulders to draw blood to the hands etc. Some times I don't warmup but I guess its best if you do.

Then apply the DDJ and massage it into your hands and wrists on both sides and your fingers.

The bag should be full with mung beans or chick peas (or similar). You then simply slap the bag repeatedly in a relaxed manner - not hard.

There should be no pain or discomfort - there is no need to do it hard as the training will be long term.

Do a palm slap, back hand slap, chop, and claw. You can do it for 15-60 minutes.

Then apply more liniment and do a hand massage after.

After 3 months of doing this every day you will be able to break a concrete tile. Don't attempt any breaks for at least 3 months into the conditioning.

After this stage you can add some steel shot to the bag 50/50 shot and beans or all shot if you are ready.

Train the same way - Its very simple and its non muscular. There is zero exertion its just repetitive.

Once you have done 3 months on 100% steel shot move up to ball bearings. After 3 months on that you can train on bare concrete or steel plate if you wish. Or you can just stick with the bag and ball bearings.

Do it for a year on steel & you should be able to crack a coconut with proper technique. If you want to see proper form check it out on youtube.

Edited by gareth