Bolt Cutters Vs. Hack Saw

bender

For the last 3 months, I've been cutting HRS, Nail heads, and bolt heads with a damn hack saw. I kept hearing about people using bolt cutters, but didn't think much of it. Then, my brother laughed at me for using the hack saw. Now, I was cutting some HRS and got tired waiting to saw all the way through, so tried to snap it. It snapped, but the sharp edge tore a 1.5" slice of flesh off my thumb. Luckily, it was on the outside of my thumb and neither interfered with training or hurt, but it was the final slap-in-the-face from my damn hack saw.

This last weekend, I bought a 24" bolt cutter.

For anybody on this board who wants to cut steel: Do Not Use A Hack Saw! Go and Buy Bolt Cutters!

The price is slightly higher, but you can cut a 3-foot section of HRS down into 5x6" sections in the same time it takes to cut a single piece with a damn hack saw. That, and it's safer. Yea, just felt I needed to share that info. I have lost coutless minutes of my life to that damn hack saw, and I don't want you to make the same mistake.

Try cutting through a wire washing line with a Swiss Army knife as I had to do last night (it was the only thing I had to hand) - that's frustration...... :D:D

...or watching a friend cut speaker-wire with a buck knife. :(

The point: yea, many tools work, but some work a lot better. (buy bolt cutters!)

I just cut up up a bunch of 3/16" rods into 50 5" lengths and filed the ends in less time then it took me to hacksaw one 3 foot length into sections. As Bender says a bolt cutter is pretty much esential if you want to chop up massive amounts of steel!

Jon@han

Edited by Jonathan McMillan