Best One Armed Dumbell Row?

G-Man

I pulled (not tore) my right bicep about seven weeks ago. I was doing dumbbell French presses with medium weight and felt something "pop" (no bruising). I was messing around between sets, attempting a one-armed pull-up, which normally isn't much of a problem.

My arm has been bothering me ever since, but getting better slowly. As part of rehab, I am going to completely change up my training. I want to focus on one-armed rows and see how far I can take it. Today, I started off pretty light and with no straps and worked up to 120 x 6 each arm for two sets. This was the first time doing this exercise in almost 15-years.

I am going to stay with 120 and dramatically increase the reps and sets until the arm feels healed - and then up the weight. My goal is to be at a world class level by summer - will buy a new web camera and then start uploading clips.

Here's one of the best I've seen on YouTube:

225x25 Kroc Row

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G-Man

• lifesnotfair

• Kashtan

• ChrisJames

not impressive to me, hes using wraps

rico

Here's Kroc doing 300.

Yes he uses straps. After all it's a BACK exercise, not a GRIP exercise. :rolleyes

He also has some "body english" employed here but if you think what he's doing is easy, just try it for 7 "cheat" reps and let us all know how you do?

I pulled (not tore) my right bicep about seven weeks ago. I was doing dumbbell French presses with medium weight and felt something "pop" (no bruising). I was messing around between sets, attempting a one-armed pull-up, which normally isn't much of a problem.

My arm has been bothering me ever since, but getting better slowly. As part of rehab, I am going to completely change up my training. I want to focus on one-armed rows and see how far I can take it. Today, I started off pretty light and with no straps and worked up to 120 x 6 each arm for two sets. This was the first time doing this exercise in almost 15-years.

I am going to stay with 120 and dramatically increase the reps and sets until the arm feels healed - and then up the weight. My goal is to be at a world class level by summer - will buy a new web camera and then start uploading clips.

Here's one of the best I've seen on YouTube:

225x25 Kroc Row

This is an excellent exercise for the back. I use it regularly in my workouts (with close-grip pull downs). I also use straps because my sub-COC#4 grip unfortunately cannot match my lat and arm strength. :upsidedwn Just be careful not to hyper extend your elbows on the bottom of the movement. Keep your grip tight (even with straps) and don't relax the elbow at anytime. I came close to hurting my left elbow because I came down to fast on one of the last reps and let my arm go loose.

Best I've done is 200 x 8, no straps (grip being the limiting factor).

Edited by Magnus

I know mores been done but Johnnie Jackson does reps with 300lbs on a Muscletech video.

Johnnie trains at Strouds gym about 300 yards from where I live. He is a nice guy. a strong deadlifter too.

Don't know about Dumbell (although there are vids of 300lbs plus from Dru Patrick I believe) - but I seem to recall Terry Todd reporting that he got up to (from memory) 350lbs in the one-arm BARBELL row.

Tried one armed rows for the second time in about 15-years today (no straps):

75 x 12, 95 x 10, 120 x 6, 120 x 20, 120 x 10, 120 x 8, 120 x 8

V-Bar Pulldown

100 x 20, 150 x 10, 100 x 35

My bicep injury is still bothering a little, so did not try to push it too hard. Between sets, I tried the 172.5 and was able to do it for a single - not too hard, but arm hurting a little afterwards.

I'll give it about a week and then really hammer out as many sets of the 120 as possible.

Two goals (by summer time):

Thick Bar One Armed Dumbell Row (no straps): 207.5 x reps

One Armed Dumbell Row (normal thickness with straps): 295 x reps

The first would be using Heavy Grips on my gym's biggest dumbell - not sure if I could do that, but it's something worth aiming for.

The second one should not be too much problem: you wrap the plates extremely tight and wrap the straps really tight - that's the key. This would be an 13-pound Olympic DB bar, three 45-pound plates on each side and a six pound collar on each side.

Edited by G-Man

What do you mean when you say Heavy Grips? I ask cos that's what a brand of grippers are called.

My wrong - it's the rubber sleeve that goes on the bar to make it over 2" thick. Are they called "Gip Sleeves"?

Edited by G-Man

I weigh 165 and do 3 sets of 10 with 100 lb dumbbells. I could do more but grip starts to become a limiting factor. Past around 120 it starts to get hard to hold on to, especially because of the no chalk rule. I read somewhere of Voevoda doing dumbbell rows with 400 lbs but I don't know how true that is.

What do you mean when you say Heavy Grips? I ask cos that's what a brand of grippers are called.

My wrong - it's the rubber sleeve that goes on the bar to make it over 2" thick. Are they called "Gip Sleeves"?

FAT gripz!!! not heavy grips :tongue

I weigh 165 and do 3 sets of 10 with 100 lb dumbbells. I could do more but grip starts to become a limiting factor. Past around 120 it starts to get hard to hold on to, especially because of the no chalk rule. I read somewhere of Voevoda doing dumbbell rows with 400 lbs but I don't know how true that is.

I also read somewhere about Voevoda doing 400 lb rows and I always wondered if that was true. After seeing some of his other strength feats I wouldn't put it past him.

My new favorite...

One end of the 7' barbell in the corner with a pad, the other end loaded with weights. Stand to one side, with the end of the bar in line with your sternum, grab with one hand and row.

200 x 3

250 x 3

275 x 3 x 5 sets

275 is about 240 due to the leverage factor (d1*w1/d2).

d1 is the distance from the fulcrum to the centre of the weights.

w1 is the amount of weight.

d2 is where your hand is located.

:)

I also read somewhere about Voevoda doing 400 lb rows and I always wondered if that was true. After seeing some of his other strength feats I wouldn't put it past him.

I don't doubt that at all - he would just have to have the straps on super tight to do that.

I tried thick bar dumbell rows for the first time ever yesterday:

75 x 15

95 x 10

120 x 6

120 x 25R/21L

120 x 8

120 x 7

120 x 6

V-Bar Thick Pull Pulldown

100 x 15

100 x 15

100 x 40

Next week, going to see if we can do max with 175 (thick bar) and then drop down to 130 for sets of eight.

• 3 weeks later...

Managed 150kg (330lbs)x 5 reps normal bar , one arm row.

250lbs x 5 with 2.5 inch handle, one arm row.

400LB X 3 TO 5 reps on 2" barbell , two hands barbell row.

No straps used on any lift.

I don't doubt that at all - he would just have to have the straps on super tight to do that.

I tried thick bar dumbell rows for the first time ever yesterday:

75 x 15

95 x 10

120 x 6

120 x 25R/21L

120 x 8

120 x 7

120 x 6

V-Bar Thick Pull Pulldown

100 x 15

100 x 15

100 x 40

Next week, going to see if we can do max with 175 (thick bar) and then drop down to 130 for sets of eight.

Good luck on the 175. You'll be using a 2"bar correct?

Rico

Wow some amazing strength on the rows. Only a handful can lift 250 on a 2.5" handle off the ground, let along row it 5 times!!

Wow some amazing strength on the rows. Only a handful can lift 250 on a 2.5" handle off the ground, let along row it 5 times!!

that would be one of the best stunts i ever saw any way you could post a video of the 250 x 5 on the thick bar thats heaver than the millemium dumbbell

That's insanely impressive. I couldn't budge 175 with a 2" bar for one armed row. A video would be greatly appreciated. :bow