Joe Kinney's Claims

mightyjoe

I wonder if Joe K. might come on the board at some point to dispell all of our questions? I know his DVD is sold on another site, but y not it would be good for us to have him in person to awnser these questions, other boards do this. I think it would be good for all of us. And may go down in gripboard history and who knows we may pick up a new sponser.

Rico

I wonder if Joe K. might come on the board at some point to dispell all of our questions? I know his DVD is sold on another site, but y not it would be good for us to have him in person to awnser these questions, other boards do this. I think it would be good for all of us. And may go down in gripboard history and who knows we may pick up a new sponser.

Rico

Uhhh...his nephew had to operate the video camera since he didn't know how to. I highly doubt he's on a computer much if at all.

Didn't Joe Kinney say somewhere in a newspaper article that he went out to his garage from time to time and did like 10 reps a couple of times a day? I think there's a link somewhere here on the board.

Like someone mentioned: In my opinion he just has another definition for reps. I'm not sure about the TTK but if he can close a #4 like THAT, also if it was a easy one, let's say around 200lbs, he just has to have a strong thumb so his numbers on the TTK might be legit (hey, who knows about the weight/ratio of his TTK anyways?)

Rico

Uhhh...his nephew had to operate the video camera since he didn't know how to. I highly doubt he's on a computer much if at all.

Luke I can't comprehend that he can't operate a computer or video camera, I'm really sorry.

Rico

• Thanks 1

Let me reiterate one more time and I'm done until I get a response from Mr. Kinney.

Call me stupid or whatever you please. No I'm not digging up dirt like a politician either. I'm digging up facts. The man is on a DVD that I purchased making extraordinary claims. YES, he's claiming these feats right out of his own mouth. Now, to make sure we are on the same page I'm writing Mr. Kinney a very detailed letter addressing the very things you guys are bringing up. This way at least I can make sense of his claims myself. That's all I'm doing.

I will also say again at this point(purpose of the letter) I don't believe the 2 claims under consideration.

One more thing. Has anyone besides myself actually loaded up 110 lbs.

on a TTK and tried to hold it shut with one hand with the thumb on top?

I tell you what make yourself or have made a TTK with a 1 to 1 ratio and load it to 110 lbs.

close it with 2 hands, thumbs on top and then let go with either hand and hold shut for 10 seconds and

I will mail you a $100.00 bill certified mail. Post the video on the GB, verify the weight and

show me what you got. First one to post their video gets the cash. I'll even pay for your TTK you had made

with a proof of purchase. Any takers???

• Like 1

Rico

Luke I can't comprehend that he can't operate a computer or video camera, I'm really sorry.

Rico

You have to be kidding me. LOTS of people choose not to learn certain technological tasks. Sometimes they have a spouse or other relative that takes care of those things for them. Why waste personal time doing it if you don't need to? Many times these folks believe that Internet forums are a complete waste of time and even if they had the expertise, it would be the last thing that they would choose to do with their time. This is not unique to Joe Kinney by any means. Many old time "executive" types also fall into this category. Their time is very valuable, and they don't want to waste thousands of hours becoming proficient in tasks that they view as "lower than a secretary". This view is changing every day, but it still exists. Four years ago, I located a famous labor attorney who was at one time the legal counsel for Cesar Chavez. I asked him to email me his resume for a speech he was going to give. He unapologetically said to me, "I am a complete Luddite, I have no intention of ever using email", and he mailed me his resume. He was not dumb, as he was a near genius. It's just how he chose to live his life.

I would presume that if Joe Kinney responds to Mighty Joe's letter, it will be exactly the same way as all other correspondence we have seen from Joe Kinney. It will be hand written, probably printed, and it will say "yer" instead of "your", and the chosen words will contain more testosterone than most of what we see.

But there will NEVER be Joe Kinney, or Slim Farman, or Stanless Steel, directly or indirectly, responding to an Internet group. That is just not how these guys operate. The closest you will see to that happening would be Heath Sexton's meeting with Joe Kinney a few years back.

And Mighty Joe, I predict that how you ask Kinney will predict how he answers, or if he answers.

He clearly says 440 x 60.

The only thing I can say is his squat "rack" incorporated handles and it was a homemade safety squat bar. Maybe, just maybe, holding on to handles and using his arms to pull, he could gut out 440 x 20. This would eliminate the stability factor and make it almost like a leg press. I would have to try his set-up to see.

440 x 60 though, on an empty stomach first thing in the morning? I just don't know about that...

I think Wanna was on the right track with the 60 reps being broken into multiple sets, I remember reading Kinney stuff way back in Milo and he said his squat rack was on the way to his outhouse, and he used to "pay the toll" every time he went out. The squat rack was pictured in Milo, many years ago, it was two bars hammered into a couple of trees in his back yard. 335 was the minimum weight if I remember right, and they were big home made concrete wheels that Kinney said never came off because they were too heavy to load. Rick's idea is plausible, too, if you use the arms to pull up it would make it like a leg press and over years he could build it up. Dr Ken did a 26 rep(?) with 405 at a similar BWT & age. Way, way back a training partner & I did teardowns on a leg sled that went 18 reps with 900, 12 reps with 720, 10 reps with 630. Non stop. Couldn't walk right for a week. These were full range, thighs to chest at the bottom. I wasn't as strong as I am now, but younger & had more endurance. The tear down set was after a normal squat day that ended with 495 x 5, then regular sets of leg press ending at 900 x 10. I've personally spotted a 36 rep squat set with 405 a few years back by a guy at the local Golds by the name of Kevin Knapp. Sick rep strength in his legs. He was about 195 lbs at the time.

I also remember Kinney saying he used to train intil blood came out from under his fingernails. I don't posess that kind of drive. I've had that conversation on the difference between champion training & guys that are "elite" with Schoonveld & Coan. Those guys have it, I don't. I'm pretty good at stuff elite in a few strength sports, even a WR in Pro Strongman at one time, but I'll never be that good. I don't push myself past the wall. Kinney had a couple of things going, and no offense to him, I think he had genetics for grip, a job that promoted grip (steel shop - before he started working grip he had a massive injury to his right arm when a pipe/piece of steel spun out of a machine, I believe), and a single minded (demented) focus on his objective. I think the guy just didn't know you can overtrain, wasn't bright enough to quit, and just got there. Look at a few years ago & Gazza's bending. I doubted him, as did many. Now he's proven time & time again he can do stuff that's insane to the rest of us. There's always somebody out there that puts together the magic combo of genetics (perfect body structure & potential to develop), focus & single minded training. Also you have to be able to focus, and have a long enough run without injuries to achieve.

I don't believe the squat claim, unless one of the above qualifiers was used, but the #4 I don't doubt. I saw plenty of pics of him toying with a #3 in Milo, 2 finger closes & such, smiling like hewasn't straining a bit.

• Confused 1

Alrighty, I have some pictures of the gripper that Mighty Joe talks about. Joe gave me the spring, the big azz U and then I had some guys build the stand and handles. I am no where near my peak strength, but when I was and I attempted to shut the beast Iwas not close. I took a picture of the gripper in my hand to show the width and then I took one of an attempt and I use the term attempt loosely. I managed to close my 3.5 tonight so I have not turned into a total puss, and you can see the movement I got on the spring.

The last picture is the gripper next to the Inch DB I bought from Joe Kinney, they hang out in the basement and talk about what a badass Joe is. :)

P1010663.jpg

P1010664.jpg

P1010665.jpg

P1010666.jpg

If my memory is working right, I remember Joe saying that his gripper is mounted considerably deeper than mine; everyone knows the impact mounting depth has on grippers. Imagine that depth being different by possibly 2".

Pretty cool equipment Bearcat, I like that gripper. And the inch bell. Good luck with the response MightyJoe, but I have a feeling JK won't really care if you don't believe him.

Brent C.

That gipper looks exactly the same... there is a picture on "the otherguy's" website for caomparison. Sweet grip toys. I would hang out down there too... :upsidedwn

Hi Heath, do you know what Joe could do with the Inch dumbbell? Thanks for sharing those pics and info!

All the best,

Flo

ownage of the 4 has to be respected regardless of cal's & certs!

i have not personal experience of ttk, so no reason to doubt claims.

440x60 squat: me thinks not!

PS i'm no hater :upsidedwn

No idea who the other guy is or what website? Got a link as I would like to see the one Joe used.

Florian, Joe told me several times that he got to where he could pick up the Inch, say right handed, and let it roll or drop it from that hand to the left hand. Not tossing it and catching it, but rolling from one hand to the other. He mentioned that he could do that a few times and then it would fall.

I wish I had all my stuff in one place, maybe if I did I would actually use it.

Florian, Joe told me several times that he got to where he could pick up the Inch, say right handed, and let it roll or drop it from that hand to the left hand. Not tossing it and catching it, but rolling from one hand to the other. He mentioned that he could do that a few times and then it would fall.

Thanks for the info Heath!

I sort of take Rex's point of view. Who cares?

I met an old guy at a bar I worked at. He was always so drunk I could barely understand him, but we talked one time about lifting. He said he could deadlift 1000 pounds. I asked a few clarifying questions (really, that is alot! 1000 from a normal barbell?) I didn't believe him, but it wasn't worth pissing this old guy off or causing a big stink about it.

Thank you Heath. Joe is a true grip legend!

• Confused 1

Thank you Heath. Joe is a true grip legend!

x2

I for one have never doubted his grip claims.

• Confused 1

On the DVD his "monster" gripper does have a much deeper mount on the handles than that one. He also said once he cheated it shut he could hold it shut with either hand.

Wow! So he could close the #4 with virtually a TNS, and he could lift the inch DB with either hand...

Question:

I don't know anything about busting beer cans, but how hard is it to punch your thumb into a can like he does in the video? I'm just guessing but I think the "strangle" hold way of busting cans he does without using his thumbs looks a lot harder to do, and it sounds like a gun going off when it breaks. Can a lot of guys do that?

P1010666.jpg

Wow!! That photo is a snapshot of odd-object lifting "Nirvana"

Nice set-up!!mosher.gif

Edited by naturalstrength

Thanks, and you have to dig the smurf turf. :) I should quit being lazy and actually use teh stuff I have gathered up.

Alrighty, I have some pictures of the gripper that Mighty Joe talks about. Joe gave me the spring, the big azz U and then I had some guys build the stand and handles. I am no where near my peak strength, but when I was and I attempted to shut the beast Iwas not close. I took a picture of the gripper in my hand to show the width and then I took one of an attempt and I use the term attempt loosely. I managed to close my 3.5 tonight so I have not turned into a total puss, and you can see the movement I got on the spring.

The last picture is the gripper next to the Inch DB I bought from Joe Kinney, they hang out in the basement and talk about what a badass Joe is. :)

P1010663.jpg

P1010664.jpg

P1010665.jpg

P1010666.jpg

If my memory is working right, I remember Joe saying that his gripper is mounted considerably deeper than mine; everyone knows the impact mounting depth has on grippers. Imagine that depth being different by possibly 2".

Heath can you have that homemade gripper calabrated? What was the spring used for prior or was it just bent steel?

Rico

I don't have a calibrator and I won't send it out either. Joe told me the spring was from a dumpster, I assumed it was on the top cover? The diameter of the spring is .440"

Hey Heath, I dont want to break any rules or upset anyone by proting a non-sponsered website but I have shot you a link by PM. It is one of the movie producer's websites. If its ok you can link it.

Edited by tchcalvin