Joe Kinney's Claims

mightyjoe

I don't see what the big deal is. You either believe him or not. One of the reasons that he wouldn't come on a board like this is because he can't say he did 110lbs on a HOMEMADE TTK without people needing exact dimensions so they can figure out the "real" closing force and then GUESS if they think he would be able to do this or not. Give the guy a break.

The monster gripper, is that the one that looks like a big U that he got from a dumpster spring? I have one that he gave me, mine is hard and I am sure mine is not nearly as deep in the handles as his is. I am not saying he closed it or anything as I only think he used it for negatives, I am just saying if it is the same thing and his is mounted like he said it would be insane.

The monster gripper, is that the one that looks like a big U that he got from a dumpster spring? I have one that he gave me, mine is hard and I am sure mine is not nearly as deep in the handles as his is. I am not saying he closed it or anything as I only think he used it for negatives, I am just saying if it is the same thing and his is mounted like he said it would be insane.

Heath, could you post a pic of the gripper so others can get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Thanks!

Somewhere I saw a picture of his squat set up - I have not seen the new DVD but have watched the old one way back. If my memory is working this morning, and it often isn't - Joe had a homemade safety squat bar set up between two trees. I can't remember if it had handles or not but if Rick says it did, I have no doubt he's right. I've used a safety squat bar set up in my rack with handles and it's a total body workout of a completely different kind than just free squatting - it's arms, legs, back, bis - you name it and you use it this way. I did weights and reps that way I could never imagine doing in standard back squat manner - and you can keep going for a very long time if you are determined. Someday I'll get a chance to watch the new one and form an opinion but for now - I'm keeping an open mind.

I don't see what the big deal is. You either believe him or not. One of the reasons that he wouldn't come on a board like this is because he can't say he did 110lbs on a HOMEMADE TTK without people needing exact dimensions so they can figure out the "real" closing force and then GUESS if they think he would be able to do this or not. Give the guy a break.

Are you saying you believe claims of this nature without proof?

Give ME a break.

• Like 1

I will try to get some pictures later. Does it show it in the video? If so is there a demonstration? I can't remember if Joe said he used his with the handle that moves up or down? With mine you can bear down with your body weight on the moving handle and hold on as it opens up. For some reason I am thinking Joe pulled up on his? I'll try to get some pictures later.

The man does not eat shell fish because the Bible says not to. I imagine he gets confused easily about all sorts of things, including what he has and has not done in the gym. It is not his fault.

Well there's your problem...

547560.jpg

I like me them French fried potaters, mmmmmmm hmmmmmm, I reckon I also like 60 rep squats, mmmmmmmhhhmmmm...I don't like cussin'...

Let's keep it on topic. This is not a bashing thread and your posts seem to have that slant.

Somewhere I saw a picture of his squat set up - I have not seen the new DVD but have watched the old one way back. If my memory is working this morning, and it often isn't - Joe had a homemade safety squat bar set up between two trees. I can't remember if it had handles or not but if Rick says it did, I have no doubt he's right. I've used a safety squat bar set up in my rack with handles and it's a total body workout of a completely different kind than just free squatting - it's arms, legs, back, bis - you name it and you use it this way. I did weights and reps that way I could never imagine doing in standard back squat manner - and you can keep going for a very long time if you are determined. Someday I'll get a chance to watch the new one and form an opinion but for now - I'm keeping an open mind.

It's called a Hatfield bar. Fred Hatfield came up with it years ago to better stabilize

yourself when squatting and to squat without spotters. Many high schools use them today

for safety reasons.

There is enought BS spewed with claims on the Internet and we try to do a little better here with FACTS and not FICTION. That's why the world class feat rule has been in place for years now.

• Like 1

I will try to get some pictures later. Does it show it in the video? If so is there a demonstration? I can't remember if Joe said he used his with the handle that moves up or down? With mine you can bear down with your body weight on the moving handle and hold on as it opens up. For some reason I am thinking Joe pulled up on his? I'll try to get some pictures later.

Thanks Heath! There is a picture in the video with a #4 laying beside it for camparison puposes.

No actual demonstration is given except a verbal description of how he did it. It appears this interview

was in an open park somewhere. Equipment was brought in for demonstration purposes but there was no hole

in a tree or somewhere else where Joe could demo how he actually did it.

It looks just like an extended handle gripper except there is no coiled spring. It's u-shaped. That's the only

difference. The regular handle is ground down for BTR closes.

There is enought BS spewed with claims on the Internet and we try to do a little better here with FACTS and not FICTION. That's why the world class feat rule has been in place for years now.

WELL SAID!

Thanks!

Sounds just like mine, I took mine to a machine shop and they made the handles and what not. It was not to my specs, but oh well.

I think the spring on is 3/8" or 7/16", I may be wrong though I will measure it. I have never saw the one that Joe owns, how deep are the handles mounted from the U?

The man does not eat shell fish because the Bible says not to. I imagine he gets confused easily about all sorts of things, including what he has and has not done in the gym. It is not his fault.

Well there's your problem...

547560.jpg

I like me them French fried potaters, mmmmmmm hmmmmmm, I reckon I also like 60 rep squats, mmmmmmmhhhmmmm...I don't like cussin'...

Let's keep it on topic. This is not a bashing thread and your posts seem to have that slant.

My apologies, just trying to inject a bit of humour into a thread that could desperately use it. I treat the 440x60 claim like I would any fairy tale. Listen, smile politely, dismiss it in my head and don't waste any more of whatever time I have left obsessing about how to de-bunk it. Joe is obviously a unique athlete. I respect anyone who works that hard. I take what's useful from a guy who is willing to share and dismiss what isn't.

Brent C.

There is a picture in the dvd of the him squatting I believe, hold on a second and let me pop it in the computer and see...

2 trees, a homemade SSB, 2 large concrete looking plates (said to be 150 pounds each), and 2 steel handles in the tree. They are non moving handles. Another still shows him under the weight, about parallel, holding onto the handles, his arms obviously under tension.

A few things from someone who squats.

#1- his legs are very small. Now, I realize that squatting wont neccesarily give you huge legs, but squatting 440 x 60 would. We all know volume adds mass, and 60 reps in insane volume. Tom Platz did 505 for what, 23? Look at the size of the Blonde Bombers legs!

#2- I would say squatting while holding on makes the lift about 50% easier. I allows you to use your whole body as Chris said, but it also allows you to stay bolt upright the entire time, taking a lot of strain off the back. I remember the adds for the SSB when it being advertised in PLUSA. I believe they said the strength coach in the add did 1100 x 3 with it, or something like that. If that is true, then Kinney did about 220 for 60, which is still amazing, IMO.

#3- I find it amazing that the guy doing the interview has always been a show me, believe nothing he sees or reads on the net, kind of guy.

I would love to try Kinney's set-up, however I wonder if someone showed up and wanted to give it a go, would he let them do it??

I have no idea about the SSB as I have never used one and if it does reduce the weight by 50%, 220x60 is simply insane but there was a video posted on MarundeMuscle where a dude weighed 218 squatted 218x98 reps, Sarge or something? I am not agreeing or disagreeing, believing or not believing, but if that were the case I would think that it is possible, yes?

Rick, honestly I bet Joe would let someone give his equipment a go if they showed up.

Thanks Heath! There is a picture in the video with a #4 laying beside it for camparison puposes.

No actual demonstration is given except a verbal description of how he did it. It appears this interview

was in an open park somewhere. Equipment was brought in for demonstration purposes but there was no hole

It looks just like an extended handle gripper except there is no coiled spring. It's u-shaped. That's the only

WELL SAID!

Thanks!

Joe,

I am not trying to be argumentative, but what is the real purpose of this thread. The guy made a casual statement on a DVD and you are trying to dig into his background like a detective trying to gather some dirt on a politician running for the presidency. Whats the big deal, and most importantly, what's the point???????? Even if the claims are 50% exagerated, he still squated and closed a gripper that 99.99% of the people on this board couldn't even come close to achieving, so give up and give him a breakclosedeyes.gif

Heath-

The bar itself is actually harder, the real SSB that is. However, it is the holding on that makes it lighter.

Also, keep in mind that the man who did 218 x 98 at Marunde Muscle trained for that exclusively. He was someone who focused on that kind of bodyweight strength and made that a goal from day one. I take Kinney as someone who focused on the #4 and did squats because he thought it would help him. Look at the body composition differences between the 2 men. He carried his 218 and was stout. Kinney is and was a very thin man.

I only ask about the equipment because has anyone had the chance to squeeze his actuall #4 he closed in the original video? I thought I remember reading it was "lost" or something like that.

At any rate, I would be impressed if the strongest men in the world could free squat 440 x 60. And these are men who are, who knows, 20 or more times stronger then Kinney, body wise of course.

440 lbs squat 60 times? Maybe he included his body weight on that number...he weighs what? 185lbs? so 440 -185 = 255Lbs

he did not say, i think, that it was in one set either...

Just a theory...

I dont think he would have gone on record like that being knowingly untruthful about something that would cause so much skepticism, therefore there must be a catch. Either way, he was the first to close the #4 but that does not make him more exceptional to me than any other #4 closer since he probably was one of the first to train for it.

I am not inclined to buy this dvd simply because i believe that it would not give me any return on my investment. I think that the gripboard contains more than enough info on gripper training and I do not tend to idolize.

440 lbs squat 60 times? Maybe he included his body weight on that number...he weighs what? 185lbs? so 440 -185 = 255Lbs

Just a theory...

Whatever the qualification may be, it's significant enough that him not mentioning it puts a big dent in his credibility.

Just a theory...

Whatever the qualification may be, it's significant enough that him not mentioning it puts a big dent in his credibility.

Indeed, a serious miscalculation on his part...one sentence can damage you're reputation forever.

I agree with rex

WELL SAID!

Thanks!

Joe,

I am not trying to be argumentative, but what is the real purpose of this thread. The guy made a casual statement on a DVD and you are trying to dig into his background like a detective trying to gather some dirt on a politician running for the presidency. Whats the big deal, and most importantly, what's the point???????? Even if the claims are 50% exagerated, he still squated and closed a gripper that 99.99% of the people on this board couldn't even come close to achieving, so give up and give him a breakclosedeyes.gif

Carl, Joe did not make a casual statement. He made an extraordinary claim. The big deal is this type of claim

is either

true or false. I want to know if they're true. That's all. A half truth is no truth to me. Why do you make videos

of your feats if only 50% of it's correct. What's the point?

I'm simply going to ask Joe some questions in writing to try and at least make sense of these claims. If you'd like to

tell me where this is wrong, I may reconsider. Thanks for the reply.

No one asked me of course but maybe it would have been easier to write to him - get his explanations of all your questions than to do all this on a public forum before knowing his side of the story.

No one asked me of course but maybe it would have been easier to write to him - get his explanations of all your questions than to do all this on a public forum before knowing his side of the story.

Chris, you are probably correct.

This is why I was very clear about speaking only for myself and not

anyone else. At this point I don't believe the 2 claims I've mentioned. I will wait for Joe's response before going any further on his claims.

Thanks Chris!

I think 200k for 60 is possible, especially if he was short with big legs (and very gifted genetically), it would be extremely difficult though. I doubt anybody would be able to decide to rep out 200k one day and get 60 because it's light to them, it's just too long a time on your back. How i do think it's possible is if you were to train for more reps with the same weight e.g if you were a 310-330k squatter, an then decided to only ever use 200k, but increase reps 1 by 1 over time. Ive done 180 for 20 once doing this, my best squat before it was 220 for a double, i just kept adding reps from the 12 i started with till i managed it (nearly killed me). One thing is for sure, 60 reps with 200k would be brutal.

Ive personally always felt kinneys #4 close was either with an easy #4 or something of that nature, what he did in the first video on the machines just doesn't make sense numbers wise + ive tried the heavy negatives approach (with bbp an bbwc) and all it resulted in was bruised palms, i actually lost strength on grippers. Could be wrong of course but it's not enough proof, why has he got no other feats on video? he obviously had a camera. Why not show some of his actual work outs? instead of saying 'im not gonna do any weight today, i usually do a lot more weight than that' The whole thing does not make sense - this is just my opinion, i have nothing against the man.