Joe Kinney's Claims

mightyjoe

Joe Kinney’s Claims on Get A Grip DVD

(Special Edition)

First, let me explain why I’m questioning Joe Kinney’s claims he makes on a recent released DVD titled “Get-A-Grip” with Joe Kinney, Special Edition. I didn’t think much about these claims until I recently got involved in a discussion thread on the Grip Board concerning a race to see who can squat 400 x 20 first. I then learned of how extraordinary his claims were. I researched who was TOPS in high rep squatting on You Tube and various weight lifting forums. I came up with 4 names that beyond question are ELITE at high rep squats. Tom Platz, 500 x 23, Andy Ruse, 462 x 20, Justin Harris, 500 x 16 and a guy named Dante Trudel who was mentioned to me by Andy Ruse as one of the ELITE. This is when I started getting very skeptical of Joe Kinney’s claims. These 4 guys are absolute ANIMALS at high rep, high weight squats and they can’t even approach these numbers. After my own personal investigation, I DON’T BELIEVE IT HAPPENED! Let me make very clear here I’m only speaking for myself. I will also say that if that DVD would not have been made I would have never even questioned Joe Kinney’s claims.

He makes numerous other claims with a Monster Gripper and a Floor Mounted Wrist Roller that I won’t get into. The two that I focused my attention on are his Squat numbers and his Telegraph Key numbers.

Claim #1 - Joe Kinney claims to have squatted 440 lbs. for 60 full range, bottom out reps.

He claims he built up to these numbers but the minimum he started out with was 335 lbs.

for a couple of reps and increased either the weight or the reps each workout to an ASTOUNDING 440 x 60. This is an extraordinary claim to say the least. To make things even more astounding he claims to have done this at a bodyweight of 180-185 lbs. He goes onto to claim that he eventually did these squats everyday with a minimum of 335 lbs. x 30. Even MORE ASTOUNDING than the numbers is his claim that at a certain point in the set he could feel the hormone testosterone being released into his system and because of this the last rep became easier than the first. What? Let me repeat this again. The last rep of 440 x 60 became easier than the first. Sorry folks but that’s not how the human body works at all. I consulted my own personal physician ( Clay Caldwell) about this and he laughed at the idea and said the guy had no idea how testosterone works nor the human body. Actually this claim is what nailed his coffin shut for me. Decide for yourself.

Claim #2 - Joe Kinney claims to have used 110 lbs. on a Telegraph Key ( also known as a TTK) and could hold it shut for a considerable amount of time with one hand, the thumb being on top of the TTK. He would sit in a chair and use both hands in a “key pinch” position to get it shut and after getting it shut he would release one hand and hold the weight (110 lbs.) until he couldn’t hold it no more. He went onto claim he could hold it shut for a considerable amount of time before switching hands. I have talked with some of the TOP pinch guys in the US and I’m waiting to hear back from them on what they can accomplish on this device. One has already mentioned he don’t think it’s possible.

I personally loaded my TTK up with 2-50 lb. plates and 1-10 lb. plate to see what it would actually take to get this to even move. Let me just say this, me and my son Cody using both hands with our thumbs on top of the TTK couldn’t even begin to make the weight move. Finally, Cody lifted it up for me to where it was shut while me and my other son (Shane) tried to keep it from going down with our thumb strength. Believe what you may but it’s not happening. I DON’T BELIEVE THIS HAPPENED! PERIOD!

AGAIN, I’m ONLY speaking for myself based on my own investigation. What I’m trying to figure out now is what would motivate an individual to fabricate such claims?

On the other hand, IF Joe Kinney actually did in fact accomplish these feats he is FAR, FAR ahead of his time and I would deem his hand strength and squatting abilities at the time far beyond SUPER HUMAN.

I’m now preparing a letter to Joe Kinney to ask him some questions concerning these claims. I’m not even close to finished with my investigation into these alleged MIND-BOGGLING feats.

Do you believe???

I too have been contemplating the odds of it, and when you factor in his age, his size, and prior weight lifting experience, it really doesn't seem possible. Could someone close to age 40, who just started doing squats for the first time, accomplish 440x60 after just a few years?

About the TTK, if you take into account the much different dimensions of his TTK that do make for far less leverage, and also take into account how easy it is to cheat on the TTK, I think this could be possible.

I'll end with saying crazy results typically have crazy training methods and crazy determination to go along with them.

Edited by lukeamdman

Guest Bullitt

I have no idea on the TTK and I'll state for the record that I think he closed his number 4 as I have no reason to doubt him.

Unless there's a video out there and someone I trust that saw it live, there is no way that I believe he squatted 440 for 60 continuous, arse in the sod reps. He might have split that up in several sets, but no way did he do it in one.

I believe that he used high rep squats to help him close the #4 by getting stronger. I just don't believe he did what's claimed. In fact, I find it hard to believe that he did 440X20 at that bodyweight and age. That would be a seriously strong feat for a big squatter.

As for the video, is there a video of him grinding the handles of his #4 as claimed? Also, does anyone know if that #4 was ever calibrated?

As for motivation, who knows. He is trying to sell DVDs again, so he had to add something new to the story/myth.

Edited by Bullitt

Mike, yes, his man-handling grinding TNS of a #4 is on the DVD. I don't think it's been calibrated, but Heath has seen that gripper in person and said it was a beast.

I would think that if somebody could squat 440 x 60 reps at a bodyweight of 185, they would hold numerous titles, world records, and at the very least they would be considered somewhat of a legend in the powerlifting world.

Guest Bullitt

Mike, yes, his man-handling grinding TNS of a #4 is on the DVD. I don't think it's been calibrated, but Heath has seen that gripper in person and said it was a beast.

That's crazy! And enough of a feat to make the guy a legend in my mind. Still, no way he did the squats.

Haven't seen the new vid but I'm a huge Joe Kinney fan and I sincerely believe his #4 close was legit. As for these squat and TTK, I'd sooner believe his cat closed a #4.

Edited by jad

as for squats i cant realy say i dont do them, however 110 on a ttk?? i realy do not think so

as for squats i cant realy say i dont do them, however 110 on a ttk?? i realy do not think so

His "TTK" was a homemade version... consider the ratios differences.

I'd believe the TTK numbers if his TTK had a stinking 4 to 1 ratio in favor of the handle side.

As for the squats, if the last rep felt easier than the first, why'd he stop at 60?

Edited by Magnus

As for the squats, if the last rep felt easier than the first, why'd he stop at 60?

Great point. I felt a bit uncomfortable hearing some of his numbers while watching the video. I even caught myself squirming in my seat at some of his claims and even chuckling at the "daily testosterone" but, the #4 in my mind is irrefutable and totally destructive! I think he might be trying to inflate his legendary status... I dont know. If nothing else he inspired the grip community to question the true limits of the human body. Oh yea the secret weapon was a good idea too.... lol

Who knows, I sometimes wonder about any certification. Especially kinneys. I can do 335 for 20 and a couple of years ago I was doing 375 for 20. But 440? That had to be broken up into sets. I think that had to be broken Didn't Mob close a #4 at the woodall comp last year. Actually id rather see a DVD come out from him. Of course with a lot of humor added in would really make it fun. I'm sure he got ton of video he could put together.

I'm sure with this thread kinny is sellin em like hotcakes, but he's not getting my money.

Rico

Guys, I think you may have misundersood the 60 reps. I could have sworn he used to "go by the squat rack" and do some squats all day long and maybe that's how it got to the rep count of 60? Even then, that's a pretty mighty feat. mellow.gif

Something I wish they would have asked him during the interview is how much rest time he had in between the "reps" with the SW and his other grip machines. He certainly didn't do 60 reps per hand on the SW one right after the other.

When he says "reps", whether on grip machines or squats, he might not mean one right after another in a row without putting the weight down?

He's obviously a little socially different, and he even says that on the DVD. Since that's the case and he probably never weight lifted in a gym or with a partner, I wouldn't be suprised if a "rep" means something different to him than most other people.

In my opinion, his #4 was completley legit.

Edited by lukeamdman

The man does not eat shell fish because the Bible says not to. I imagine he gets confused easily about all sorts of things, including what he has and has not done in the gym. It is not his fault.

The man does not eat shell fish because the Bible says not to. I imagine he gets confused easily about all sorts of things, including what he has and has not done in the gym. It is not his fault.

Perhaps he just had bad maths

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

In the DVD I'm pretty sure that Joe says that his titan key device had a different arm ratio than the commercial one so as for the 110 pounds I can't say, plus I've never worked out with one.

By him busting the cans, certainly he has some exceptional physical ability. I believe the grip close was legit in my opinion.

Problem with me believing he's a fraud is that he just doesn't strike me as a self-promoting guy who cares to make up all that. We've got pro strongmen right now who are experts at selling themselves and he just doesn't fit the mold. Why would he have fabricated that "monster gripper" if he couldn't do anything with it? Why did he go through all the trouble of collecting all those flywheels and other weights if it was just to fabricate a myth?

I can't comment much on the squats because I hate doing squats. If Joe did go through all that trouble just to promote hisself then he's got some serious issues. Personally though, I think he's legit. Exceptional, and legit.

What's the toughest gripper that anybody on this board can replicate Kinney's close with? I mean, barely getting your pinky around it, closing it slow and deliberate then griding the handles loud enough to be heard on a cheap home camcorder? I can almost dominate my #2 the same as he does his number 4 but I'd give him the edge.

Tim

He clearly says 440 x 60.

The only thing I can say is his squat "rack" incorporated handles and it was a homemade safety squat bar. Maybe, just maybe, holding on to handles and using his arms to pull, he could gut out 440 x 20. This would eliminate the stability factor and make it almost like a leg press. I would have to try his set-up to see.

440 x 60 though, on an empty stomach first thing in the morning? I just don't know about that...

I have not seen the DVD or video in question, but apparently, from this discussion, the 440 x 60 iss not shown on it? If not, why not?

But to squat about 2.5 times bodyweight for 60 reps, should certainly be preserved on video, along, of course, with an official weighing of the implement used.

Well there's your problem...

When we met I remember Joe telling me his TTK was homemade and it was made different than the IM version. I am thinking the handles were different and the arm length was different. His 110lb number has not changed though, that is the number he told me on the phone several times and in person when we met. As for his squat numbers, he told me he squatted and I remember him saying something about 335 for a bunch, never heard about the 440x60, that is quite a bit. :) The question about him doing negatives one after another for 60 reps. Joe has told me several times that on his grip/gripper night he would do up to 60 negs per hand and the workout would take him 3-4hrs to complete. That is 3-4hrs of negatives is how I took it, because he did thumb and wrist work on different nights.

His TTK is way different. Even the top bar you put your thumbs on is angled down a little. He did that so he could do them while sitting.

The letter I'm sending Joe will address in detail all the questions you guys bring up.

When I get a response back I'll let you know his response question for question.

"Extraordinary claims require Extraordinary evidence"

I'm asking for the dimensions of his telegragh key. How did he determine the weight of his implements.

What does he mean by 60 reps? Continious? Pause reps? How long the pause? Any eyewitnesses to the squats,

TTK, Monster gripper, etc... Any video of any other feats besides the #4 close? You never know, someone may have videoed

other things and he just hasn't mentioned it. Like the squats and the Monster gripper in the 1st video not being

mentioned.

That Monster Gripper that he claims to have measured with a valve spring compression tester rated at 675 lbs. of closing force. Do you guys realize what gripper this is equivilent to? Remember, that grippers come with ratings that are not calibrated like we do.

So for example, a #4 is rated at 365 lbs. closing force but the actual weight it takes to shut the handles is around 200 lbs. give or take 5-10 lbs. Now, he has a gripper that is actually calibrated at 675 lbs. from an accurate measuring device.

He mentions how he set it up to be tested and it's very similar to the way we currently calibrate grippers except that

valve spring compression tester is probably more accurate. The force to close this Monster Gripper is around the same as the Galaxy or Super Galaxy. I had Warren make me an extended handle Super Galaxy just to see what it would take to get the

handles shut. As you've probably done guessed I couldn't make the handles move even by standing on it while Cody had a bar

running through the coil to stabilize the gripper. IT DID NOT MOVE!!! NONE!!! Now you have Joe Kinney claiming that he was

able to force this gripper shut and while remaining closed he pulled it out of the hole and turned his hand to where he could verify that it was shut. He claims to have done this right and left handed. This gripper has an extended handle and one of the handles is ground down for BTR training. It is u-shaped, not coiled like normal torsion spring grippers. To put

this in perspective, this gripper would be stronger than 3 #4 grippers. I can only speak for myself but I don't think it's

humanly possible to shut that gripper. You would think he would have videoed that gripper close instead of the #4 which is

not even comparable to that Monster Gripper.

Decide for yourself.

I will share plenty more later.

Well there's your problem...

547560.jpg

I like me them French fried potaters, mmmmmmm hmmmmmm, I reckon I also like 60 rep squats, mmmmmmmhhhmmmm...I don't like cussin'...

His TTK is way different. Even the top bar you put your thumbs on is angled down a little. He did that so he could do them while sitting.

You're correct. This is how mine is made also. I had it made that way so that when closed it's

more even than the other way. Not to mention you thumbs won't slide off either. What I'm asking

for is the length of his TTK and the distance from the end to where it pivots and the distance (gap)

between the 2 handles that close. Mine is adjustable so I will be able to get very close to what he has.

We'll see!