how do the inch-lb ratings convert into regular pounds?

Guest NetCrusher

Guest NetCrusher

Whats up everyone I'm just interested to know what all these inch-lb ratings really mean in pounds? Also I've measured my trainer #1 and #2 using my bathroom scale, although I'e read here this isn't very accurate I consistently get the same readings of 75 lbs for the trainer, 100 lbs for the #1 and 115 lbs for the # 2,for those who have tried this method would these be considered average numbers? Thanks.

NetCrusher, while your bathroom scales seem to be consistant - this doesn't ensure that they are accurate. If we convert your 75 lbs into in-lbs, we can see that your COC Trainer appears to be in the 178-179 in-lbs range. Note that the known range (as calibrated by PDA) for COC Trainer grippers is 120-154 in-lbs. This means that if your scales were accurate, your COC Trainer would be roughly 25 in-lbs harder than the hardest Trainer ever tested by PDA. While possible, this seems unlikely.

In-lbs are not convertible to lbs. In-lbs has to do with the amount of pressure you have to apply, divided by the number of inches away from the center of movement.

It's the same difference as between miles and miles-per-hour. You need to add in the number of miles into the equation to convert from miles to miles-per-hour, and similarly you need to add in the number of inches to convert from in-lbs to lbs.