Grip At The Arnold Classic

climber511

Its all guesswork of course but I think maybe only 2 of the "grip" guys listed will get a shot, Tex and Rich from Sorin's will definetly get a shot (rightly so I reckon) I think Brian shaw will get an invite and if he does it (may conflict if he's competing in the strongman)to be honest he will probably win most of the events. I would have thought Mark felix will get a shot aswell along with possibly a couple of other strongmen and grip guys who wont be as well known but will probably prove to be pretty good.

As unpopular as it may be I dont see any of the current grip guys lifting a dumbell that's 40kg apprx heavier than the millienium, maybe one or more of them will lift the 500lb barbell only to see someone like shaw, muremets or felix come out and rep it. Inch bumbells will be lifted by most but only one of the strongmen will carry them for any appreciable distance.

Its not that I think these guys could beat the likes of Chad, Steve etc in a normal grip comp with grippers, pinch etc although depending on the event mix it could be close.

but with all the events being really heavy and being thick bar or thick bar related I think this does favour the strongmen, especially the big tall guys with big hands

my hands are almost as big as mark's and im not big or tall, im not sure big andtall is what makes you good at grip at all. i do believe that these feats can be done by gripboard members not just certian "untouchables" way up there on a stage or on tv. oh and hey what about Wade Gillingham or Rex Hubbard, you 2 show feats on video that are cool, are youns appling also? lets get them up there with gripboard.com shirts. Pull some strings Wannagrip, lets get our guys there and represent.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• 1stCoC

• The Natural

• andurniat

my hands are almost as big as mark's and im not big or tall, im not sure big andtall is what makes you good at grip at all. i do believe that these feats can be done by gripboard members not just certian "untouchables" way up there on a stage or on tv. oh and hey what about Wade Gillingham or Rex Hubbard, you 2 show feats on video that are cool, are youns appling also? lets get them up there with gripboard.com shirts. Pull some strings Wannagrip, lets get our guys there and represent.

With a 240 RT and a 400 pound axle, I do not feel nearly qualified, but I appreciate the vote of confidence.

This is more or less a thick bar contest. The best thick-bar guys out there are (in my opinion)

Brian Shaw

Mark Felix

Mikhail Koklyaev

Andrus Murumets

Odd Haugen

Laine Snook (back is a limiting factor)

Steve Gardener (back is a limiting factor)

Chad Woodall (needs to get stronger and heavier...I'm helping him with this)

Rich Williams

Koklyaev, Shaw, and Murumets will be in the strongman contest. So even if they compete, the strongman may tax them enough to affect performance. Koklyaev shows no interest in grip unto itself but he's an affable guy and so I could see him join in. Shaw and Murumets have great grip endurance and so it may be no problem for them to join in the grip contest.

Mark Henry would probably only need three months or so to bring his grip back up to world-class level. If he starts training then I would put him on my list. I can see him showing interest given his particpation in the Circus DB grip event in 09.

Tex Henderson has lost some weight. I'm not sure if this has affected him. I saw him at the platinum plus NAS show in Dallas this summer, though, and he did very well in the farmer's event.

Jon Connor is another one to keep an eye on. He will not qualify for the Arnold strongman contest, and he's got a very strong support grip.

So those are the 14 or so names that come to my mind.

-Rex

Rex, do you think that thick bar is what we should be training for grip wise. It does seem that this comp is thick bar classed. A direction for our guys to follow when when grip training? Those guys you listed are all the "big/strong" guys. So what's the use being a big fish in this pond if we can't even get our resumes into in a comp with high stakes. Makes me want to get back into strongman.

Guest Bullitt

With a 240 RT and a 400 pound axle, I do not feel nearly qualified, but I appreciate the vote of confidence.

This is more or less a thick bar contest. The best thick-bar guys out there are (in my opinion)

Brian Shaw

Mark Felix

Mikhail Koklyaev

Andrus Murumets

Odd Haugen

Rich Williams

Koklyaev, Shaw, and Murumets will be in the strongman contest. So even if they compete, the strongman may tax them enough to affect performance. Koklyaev shows no interest in grip unto itself but he's an affable guy and so I could see him join in. Shaw and Murumets have great grip endurance and so it may be no problem for them to join in the grip contest.

Mark Henry would probably only need three months or so to bring his grip back up to world-class level. If he starts training then I would put him on my list. I can see him showing interest given his particpation in the Circus DB grip event in 09.

Tex Henderson has lost some weight. I'm not sure if this has affected him. I saw him at the platinum plus NAS show in Dallas this summer, though, and he did very well in the farmer's event.

Jon Connor is another one to keep an eye on. He will not qualify for the Arnold strongman contest, and he's got a very strong support grip.

So those are the 14 or so names that come to my mind.

-Rex

I would put Andrew Durniat on that list for sure. Not only is Andrew one of the best DO axle guys in the world, but he has already done a farmers walk with two inch dumbells...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqr3ompw7kc

I forgot to mention Andrew Durniat on my list.

Rico, the guys who will qualify do not need any advice from me when it comes to training.

The "pond" that is the Gripboard crowd is very much constrained by handsize and bodyweight considerations. When you remove those constraints at a contest like this, a top tier competitor can instantly become a third tier competitor. It's a completely different style of contest that brings with it a different standard.

EDIT: Add Magnus too. That brings the count up to around 16.

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

Revised List

Brian Shaw

Mark Felix

Mikhail Koklyaev

Andrus Murumets

Odd Haugen

Rich Williams

Jon Connor

Mark Henry (needs to start training if he hasn't started)

Magnus Samuelsson

Andrew Durniat

Tex Henderson

There's also the very real question of whether the stage is large enough to accommodate the Inch FW event without incorporating a turn.

-Rex

Guest Bullitt

I think the 4 guys from "our sport" of Grip that have applied would do very well (Chad, Andrew, Steve, Jedd). I think the fact that it is all thickbar related and no pinch or crush hampers some of those guys, but I think they all deserve to be on there. Just glad I'm not the one that has to pick the entries. Should be a great contest and I hope some, if not all 4, are chosen. If they are, I know I'll be there to cheer them on. :mosher

Rico, the guys who will qualify do not need any advice from me when it comes to training.

The "pond" that is the Gripboard crowd is very much constrained by handsize and bodyweight considerations. When you remove those constraints at a contest like this, a top tier competitor can instantly become a third tier competitor. It's a completely different style of contest that brings with it a different standard.

-Rex

That it is. It's a shame they didn't pick more standard events but from a showmanship aspect I can see the point. I don't think it would have killed them though to have 2HP (250 for reps or something) and maybe even a crush event with the G-Rex loaded up with sic weight...maybe a 2 hand plus bodweight crush or something similiar.

What about Chris James?

He showed me a video, one month ago, cleaning the Inch, 100 k one hand deadlift 2.6 inch bar, 200 k two hands deadlift 2.6 inch bar double overhand.

He has deadlifted 230 k 2 inch bar double overhand. The thick bar daddy !!!

-Rex

Rex - having handsize or bodyweight divisions doesn't limit the size of the pond - it only attracts more small people and in no way limits the number of supersized people but I understand your point. I wish I knew how to attract them as well - you, I, Chad, and others all talked about it in Georgia and we still don't have the answer to drawing the big boys into grip competitions. I think main stage at the Arnold turns the "pond" into an ocean so to speak. First of all, most the "dream team" people we might want in this will already be in Columbus for the event so all the expenses of travel will already be covered. The monetary aspect is there as well, the chance to make some money doing what you love to do can't hurt anything. And the attraction of show casing your strength on the main stage in front of all those people can't be overlooked either. The format is such that the entrants will have a good idea of what events they can actually do here - it's not a rising bar style format like most traditional contest settings so the "embarrassment" factor of failing can be lowered for them as well. And the "fame" factor is very high - whoever wins this will be considered the strongest grip in the country (world?) until next year. As for who is chosen - who knows - there aren't many secrets about what each of the guys wanting in can lift - be you a grip guy, strongman, PL or whatever. I think Dr Todd and Richard will both want the strongest field possible to put on the best show possible - this is a show as much as a contest. Having one event no one can do is one thing but having no one do any of them is very bad showmanship so expect only the strongest people to be chosen. Ten spots isn't many from the entire strength world so no one group is going to get them all. I think we will see a bunch of mutant grip guys up there going at it - and some of them will be personal friends I hope.

Rex, do you think that thick bar is what we should be training for grip wise. It does seem that this comp is thick bar classed. A direction for our guys to follow when when grip training? Those guys you listed are all the "big/strong" guys. So what's the use being a big fish in this pond if we can't even get our resumes into in a comp with high stakes. Makes me want to get back into strongman.

Have you submitted a resume? If not then pull up yer linen and do so. If you're referring to those 4 that have - the decisions not been made yet so let's wait and see.

I'd hazard a guess that many a GB member might be over analysing / over-thinking this. In the literally handful of days we're already talking about who wont be chosen, who of the strongmen that will or will not be in. Let's not second guess. If for no other reason that said moaning and over cooking of this egg might wreck our chances.

Edited by mobsterone

What about Chris James?

He showed me a video, one month ago, cleaning the Inch, 100 k one hand deadlift 2.6 inch bar, 200 k two hands deadlift 2.6 inch bar double overhand.

He has deadlifted 230 k 2 inch bar double overhand. The thick bar daddy !!!

Chris is, as you know, working on a special project of his own at the mo. But, as I've said before, he had yet to make it all the way through a competition. That said this is an event which would suit his talents.

Revised List

Brian Shaw

Mark Felix

Mikhail Koklyaev

Andrus Murumets

Odd Haugen

Rich Williams

Jon Connor

Mark Henry (needs to start training if he hasn't started)

Magnus Samuelsson

Andrew Durniat

Tex Henderson

There's also the very real question of whether the stage is large enough to accommodate the Inch FW event without incorporating a turn.

-Rex

Aren't some of those in the Arnold Strength event (cos I'm too damned lazy to check)? If so I refer you to my earlier statement. I'd risk a buck or two on the idea that they will not wish to double up by competing in both events.

In 2010, in addition to the Arnold Strongman Classic’s traditional tests of brute, total body strength, there will have a new feature for the viewing pleasure of the crowds at the Expo Center. Called “Mighty Mitts,” this new feature will not include our Strongman competitors, but will be open to any other qualified person

This is from the "more info" that Chris Rice put up here. The language suggests that those competing in the Arnold Strongman do not have an option to compete in Mighty Mitts.

Aren't some of those in the Arnold Strength event (cos I'm too damned lazy to check)? If so I refer you to my earlier statement. I'd risk a buck or two on the idea that they will not wish to double up by competing in both events.

Straps are allowed on the timber carry this year, and so the only grip intensive event is the axle. Something tells me that Shaw and Murumets have enough endurance to do that event, rest up even just a few hours, and still be competitive. As Wade can tell you, there's nothing keeping some strongmen from completing an entire strongman contest and then breezing through the hard format Grip Gauntlet afterwards. Jon Connor did this in LA and both Shaw and Murumets are in a different league than Connor. (Didn't Murumets no set close the #3 for his cert after completing a contest?) They may end up choosing not to do it, but I don't think it will be because they're afraid of wearing out their grip.

EDIT: I just realized that much of this depends on whether the axle strongman event is earlier or later in the contest. I think the axle event has been first in past years. If that's the case this year, then that makes the possibility of doing both contests much more plausible.

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

Edit again - see the post above yours. I did go and look and only 6 names are on the list so far and one is Brian Shaw.

I am glad the gripsters here are embracing what this event will lead to... More recognition, opportunities and support in the demonstration and building of grip strength. When "others" embrace the talent and resulting athletic enhancement one derives from a good grip watch out.The size and more so the time allocation of this event may somewhat limit the amount of competitors and is in plan already if a success as we think MORE to be done next year. Whether invited this time or not it will be a step toward an ongoing bigger event if handled and "kindled" the right way.As I found out for myself in life there is no guarantee or something "owed" to any of us so, a positive step by the Arnold's is something for the world of grip I personally am greatful for. For the guys that do get the chance make us proud!RS

I am glad the gripsters here are embracing what this event will lead to... More recognition, opportunities and support in the demonstration and building of grip strength. When "others" embrace the talent and resulting athletic enhancement one derives from a good grip watch out.The size and more so the time allocation of this event may somewhat limit the amount of competitors and is in plan already if a success as we think MORE to be done next year. Whether invited this time or not it will be a step toward an ongoing bigger event if handled and "kindled" the right way.As I found out for myself in life there is no guarantee or something "owed" to any of us so, a positive step by the Arnold's is something for the world of grip I personally am greatful for. For the guys that do get the chance make us proud!RS

I'm looking forward to it - when available - how about some pictures of the implements please.

• 2 weeks later...

I hear you. I just keep training, so that I am ready when the time comes.

Having the USAWA grip comp on Feb. 13 helps as well.

I would think a decision should be coming soon now if people overseas etc are to have time to put vacation, travel etc together.

On can hope. So much for the 'in the New Year'. If I chewed my fingernails I'd have none left by now ha ha.

Dr. Todd is very busy with the final buildout of the 27000 sq' Stark Center... the worlds largest strength museum. We are scheduled to talk this week on rules, plans, and competitor status for "Mighty Mitts". I will get back whenever we have things more set.This will be a world showcase for grip I know there are some great ones there among you. This I think is a great step forward.RS

Cheers for the update. As you can imagine those among us who hope to go are very exited. The chance to be on stage in front of 8000... man oh man!

Gentlemen,

After two hours of carefully debating how to do the best for all... concerned crowd, competitors, and possible historical value we have formulated the rules for the Arnold's Mighty Mitts contest.We are going to have the best in events AND competitors. We have agreed on those invited (final list has been agreed on)both from America and abroad. The rules give a fair shake to everyone and Dr. Todd has gone that extra mile.Final competitors are being contacted as we speak with "grip guys" very well represented.Every man being a "known" grip standout. These men are the best of the best we could think of in this day and time. Official rules will be released by Dr. Todd this weekend after I have had time to review them. This will be one amazing event and discussion has started on year #2 already! Now, here is your chance to crow and support your guys at the world's largest strength event.... best of luck to all! Richard Sorin