Grip At The Arnold Classic

climber511

let's put some common sense to this conundrum.

$1,000 entry fee to anyone that wants to compete other

than the pre-qualified select.

Then, $100,000 top prize if you really want to get

big.

Common sense would involve banning you from the Internet.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• 1stCoC

• The Natural

• andurniat

Guest Bullitt

Resumes can be sent to either Dr. Todd or myself . Any I get will be reviewed and sent to Dr.Todd and the other 3 comittee members to review. If you are known to me and Dr. Todd has not seen you "in action" I would be able to add my comments before sending your info into "the ring"for futher evaluation. As for money it is 1000.00 PER event not total so a possibility of winning 4000.00 is there.The competitors will be held to aprox 10. If it is "just about the money" which I find the promoters have been more than generous try out for Pro sports. I think one should feel more than honored to be given a chance in the spotlight by Arnold.RS

let's put some common sense to this conundrum.

$1,000 entry fee to anyone that wants to compete other

than the pre-qualified select.

Then, $100,000 top prize if you really want to get

big.

don't be afraid grip guys. competition only makes you stronger.

What are you talking about? 4 of the top "grip guys" have already sent in their resume to attend.

$100,000 top prize? For a grip contest? :whacked Never gonna happen. And the $1000 entry fee? :trout

It sounds like Richard and the other people that are putting this on have done a great job getting a grip contest on the main stage at the Arnold. $1,000 prize for each event is very, very generous compared to the norm for a grip comp. And as Richard said earlier, this isn't about the $1K, it's about showcasing your talent on the main stage at the Arnold in front of thousands of people. Pretty cool if you ask me. I know I'll be there watching. I have a strong suspicion that the "grip guys" you speak of are gonna shock a lot of people. Chad, Andrew, Mob, Jedd... I like the "grip guys" chances. :mosher

As anyone here who's ever done a show will tell ya - the crowd is all. And 8000 is one hell of a crowd. Put me in front of 8000 and I'll pull god down from the sky by his hand. :mosher

I have been on the main stage a few times at the Arnold (as a loader, not a performer :)) before and it is quite something. It's a wall of noise and screaming fans - and no doubt helps bring out the best in everyone. Maybe I can get on stage as a "roller" - you know, the guys who "roll" the Inch DBs back to the starting line during the Farmers walk.

There's no "common sense" on this stage - every one of the "Grip Guys" before named would give their eye teeth to be involved, and rightfully so - but I would guess that unless it was a clean sweep almost all would lose money on the venture, and in that light it sounds.....a little different, no?

I've just had a reply back which includes some info on the running of the event. But final decisions regarding who's in etc wont be made for a week. I'll post more then and assume other potential contenders will do the same.

Guys, this is not about prize money, entry fees or anything like that. To me, this is about growing the sport. This is a tremendous opportunity for those of us who have been working so hard to get the sport to grow but have been running into walls. With thousands of people looking on and seeing how much we as grip guys love doing this, this is one of the single biggest opportunities for us to broadcast what Grip is all about, spread the word, and get more people involved.

You can believe that if I am one of those fortunate enough to be on that stage I will try as hard as I can to be the first to complete each challenge, but I will also be trying to relate to the people in the crowd and let them see how much fun it is with the hopes that they feel compelled to find out more about the Sport of Grip as soon as they leave the Arnold convention center and sit down to their laptop or PC.

Growing the sport is what we should be focused on. Let's get our applications in, stop arguing about all of this other stuff, and get into the gym and training to be ready for the stage!

With thousands of people looking on and seeing how much we as grip guys love doing this, this is one of the single biggest opportunities for us to broadcast what Grip is all about, spread the word, and get more people involved.

You can believe that if I am one of those fortunate enough to be on that stage I will try as hard as I can to be the first to complete each challenge, but I will also be trying to relate to the people in the crowd and let them see how much fun it is with the hopes that they feel compelled to find out more about the Sport of Grip as soon as they leave the Arnold convention center and sit down to their laptop or PC.

Agree with every word - 100%

Guys, this is not about prize money, entry fees or anything like that. To me, this is about growing the sport. This is a tremendous opportunity for those of us who have been working so hard to get the sport to grow but have been running into walls. With thousands of people looking on and seeing how much we as grip guys love doing this, this is one of the single biggest opportunities for us to broadcast what Grip is all about, spread the word, and get more people involved.

Growing the sport is what we should be focused on. Let's get our applications in, stop arguing about all of this other stuff, and get into the gym and training to be ready for the stage!

Well said! Well said indeed!

Well said and to the point.

Go get em GRIP MONSTERS!!!

Guest Bullitt

BAM! :mosher

Exactly the reason at least 1 GRIP GUY needs to be on that stage.

Just a little more info I found.

MIGHTY MITTS

In 2010, in addition to the Arnold Strongman Classic’s traditional tests of brute, total body strength, there will have a new feature for the viewing pleasure of the crowds at the Expo Center. Called “Mighty Mitts,” this new feature will not include our Strongman competitors, but will be open to any other qualified person and will consist of four or five challenges focusing on hand and wrist strength and rewarded by up to $1000 per event. These challenges will be sandwiched between our Strongman events as an extra attraction for fans of Strongman contests as well as of “grip feats.” For the past two years we have issued challenges to the audience featuring the 200-plus pound Circus Dumbbell we use in the Arnold Strongman Classic (ASC), and these challenges have been so popular that we decided to create a number of truly difficult feats of hand strength as a way to provide even more excitement for the tens of thousands of people who watch the ASC every year.

The challenges for the Grandmasters of Grip in 2010 will be:

1. The Jowett Anvil—In the early years of the 20th century, George F. Jowett was a very prominent figure in the physical culture world as a weightlifter, a writer, a publisher, and a promoter. One of the stunts for which he is most famous featured a large blacksmith’s anvil, said to weigh 163 pounds, which he supposedly gripped by the horn with one hand, swung up to his shoulder, caught so that the anvil was upside down in his hand, and then pressed it over his head. He claimed to be the only man who could perform this feat, although leading strength historians are in agreement that Jowett—who was also famous for his exaggerations--never made such a lift. Even so, Terry Todd, the creator and director of the Arnold Strongman Classic owns this anvil, which was given to him by Phyllis Jowett, George Jowett’s daughter. That anvil, which weighs 163 pounds, will be part of the first challenge. The anvil will be placed on the platform with its horn pointing upward, and the challenge will be to simply grasp it by the horn with one hand, deadlift it, and hold it in the air for as long as possible. If no one can deadlift the anvil we will award the prize-money ($1000) to the man who lifts it the highest. Only chalk will be allowed for this challenge and for all others.

2. Sorin’s Monster—Richard Sorin, founder and owner of the Sorinex Equipment Company and himself one of the legends of hand strength, will make a huge, circus-type barbell weighing approximately 500 pounds and featuring a bar two inches in diameter. The challenge will be to deadlift the bar, according to the rules of the International Powerlifting Federation, for as many repetitions as possible using a double-overhand (pronated) grip within 30 seconds. The barbell will have to be returned to the platform on every rep after the referee has given the “Down” signal, and a “hook grip” will not be allowed. If no one deadlifts the Monster no prize-money will be paid, but if more than one person makes at least one successful lift and there is a tie in the number of reps the prize-money will go to the man who pulled the bar the highest during his unsuccessful attempt.

3. Inch by Inch—Named in honor of the English strongman and weightlifter Thomas Inch, the Inch Dumbbell weighs 172 pounds and has a handle almost 2.5” in diameter. The bell is approximately 100 years old, and for many years very few men were able to even budge the original Inch Bell off the floor. Once replicas of the original implement began to be manufactured, however, a number of men trained until they could deadlift one. What’s more, in 2002, Mark Henry, who won the first Arnold Strongman Classic, became the first man to clean an Inch replica and push-press it overhead. Also, a few men have been able to deadlift two Inch Bells and walk a short distance with them, and so the challenge at the Mighty Mitts event will be to do exactly that—to deadlift two Inch replicas and walk as far as possible without dropping either bell.

4. The Mark Henry Bell—About three or four years ago, after Mark Henry became the first man to lift a 226-pound Millinium Dumbbell with each hand without tilting it to make the feat easier, he decided to have a dumbbell made weighing approximately 250 pounds because he thought he could lift at least that much and, if he did, the dumbbell would be a challenge to those who followed him—as Scotland’s Dinnie Stones have become a challenge for stone-lifters from around the world. However, the machine shop that built Henry’s bell made a major miscalculation when they cut the pieces of 9” bar-stock used for “canister” weights at each end of the short bar. The result was a dumbbell, with a handle 2.5” thick, which weighed not 250 pounds but 300 pounds, on the money. For years we called it the “Mistake Bell.” Even Henry was unable to lift it, but instead of having 25 pounds cut off each cylinder, he decided to leave it as it was so that it would remain as a challenge for him and for others. Because of Henry’s travels as a professional wrestler, his injuries, and having his main residence in New York City, he hasn’t trained on the beast—which makes the Inch Dumbbell look like a baby’s rattle. In any case, shortly after the Henry Bell was made, a small but heavy box was built for it so that it would be easier to carry, and the challenge will be to lift the bell all the way out of its box. If more than one person succeeds, the prize-money will be split. Although we doubt that anyone will be able raise the Texas Bell in this way in 2010, we believe that a man will come along one day who will do it and we intend to bring it to Columbus every year until someone does.

5. The Gama Club—the Great Gama, who was part of the ancient tradition in India of “mud-pit wrestling,” did some of his training by swinging clubs. He was perhaps the best wrestler in the world during the early years of the 20th century, and we may bring a large Indian Club of approximately 100 pounds as one of the challenges in the Mighty Mitts competition. In the 1920s, Paul Von Boeckmann supposedly grasped an 80-pound Indian Club at the small end with both hands (like gripping a baseball bat) as it lay on the floor and then, using the strength of his wrists and hands, levered it into the air and brought it up so that he placed it across his right shoulder. A bit later, Joe Nordquest, another powerful man during the first half of the 20th century, managed to duplicate Von Boeckmann’s feat after a terrific struggle. We’re not certain if we’ll include this feat in 2010 as we want to be sure we have a club that is not totally impossible to lift.

The winner of each of these challenges will earn $1000 as well as lasting fame, and his name will be placed on a plaque at the Stark Center for Physical Culture and Sports at the University of Texas. During the months between future Arnold Sports Festivals, challengers will be welcome to come to Austin and attempt to match or exceed the accomplishments of our contestants in this new event. It is not necessary for a challenger to attempt all four or five of our events, but no one will be allowed to attempt the challenges without demonstrating that he has at least a chance to succeed. Prior to the Arnold Strongman Classic, prospective challengers should send an email to Terry Todd at ttjt@centurytel.net stating their interest and their accomplishments. Some people may be allowed to take part based on what they have provably done in the past, but some will be asked to meet with our officials prior to the challenges and to demonstrate their strength in particular events. We hope these challenges bring out the true Giants of Grip from around North America and well beyond, and that the growing community of grip enthusiasts comes to Columbus to watch what should be an exciting addition to the Arnold Strongman Classic. Jim Lorimer refers to the Arnold Sports Festival as “Strength Heaven,” and in creating these unprecedented grip challenges a new star has been added to the firmament—a star which should stimulate strong men everywhere to push back the boundaries of hand strength.

Terry Todd, Ph.D.

I hope this is not getting off topic, but.... Mark Henry deadlifted the Millenium DB with BOTH hands with NO TILT???? Is there a video or pictures of this feat???

I think so. Otherwise it'll take me a while to sort through what I have and check here.

Common sense would involve banning you from the Internet.

come on now sweetie, tell us what you really think.

There is no need to continue with these type comments. Thanks

I have photos of Mark's efforts.

Are they in your gallery on this site?

I just had a quick look at they're in the old Cyberpump gallery. Here's one:

aaf.sized.jpg

Baring in mind the possibility of attending: what are the prizes for succeeding in the GNC grip gauntlet?

Its all guesswork of course but I think maybe only 2 of the "grip" guys listed will get a shot, Tex and Rich from Sorin's will definetly get a shot (rightly so I reckon) I think Brian shaw will get an invite and if he does it (may conflict if he's competing in the strongman)to be honest he will probably win most of the events. I would have thought Mark felix will get a shot aswell along with possibly a couple of other strongmen and grip guys who wont be as well known but will probably prove to be pretty good.

As unpopular as it may be I dont see any of the current grip guys lifting a dumbell that's 40kg apprx heavier than the millienium, maybe one or more of them will lift the 500lb barbell only to see someone like shaw, muremets or felix come out and rep it. Inch bumbells will be lifted by most but only one of the strongmen will carry them for any appreciable distance.

Its not that I think these guys could beat the likes of Chad, Steve etc in a normal grip comp with grippers, pinch etc although depending on the event mix it could be close.

but with all the events being really heavy and being thick bar or thick bar related I think this does favour the strongmen, especially the big tall guys with big hands

Edited by Stew

Stew, I've already pulled a dumbbell heavier than the one in the event. See my YT video of the same:

The first dumbbell is 143-kilos or MORE than 300lbs and the 2nd, which I got air under, was even more. The rules allow for the height I pulled the first one too as it only has to come out of the box. I'd hazard a guess I'd have more problems, post training for it, with keeping the box still enough to pull the bell out. The handle I'm using on the video is 2.5-inches thick and lightly knurled.

Oh and as it stands the grip stuff will be between the ASM events. If I was competing in that (and some of the names suggested will be) I'd not want to knacker my chances in that event. I'd hazard a guess at some having a go for fun but there is still running time issues to be considered.

Edited by mobsterone

Stew, I've already pulled a dumbbell heavier than the one in the event. See my YT video of the same:

I have never seen that before Steve and to be honest its just made me want give up and forget about grip comps until you retire lol

Seriously though, given that vid you obviously have a better chance than I thought of lifting the bell although I was under the impression (probably wrongly) that it was an "inch" type bell along with all the extra difficulties that brings to the lift.

LOL. I'll post the only pic I've seen of the Mark Henry bell and box so far:

wicked-mark-henry-db.jpg

Obviously like anyone who might do this event I'll be researching as much info as I can so as to get an advantage. In this case, as others have said, the box is as much of a problem as the bell itself. But nothing so far says it needs to be lifted level and the flat sides make it very much like my plate loaded efforts as opposed to the greater tilt which happens (for me) with globed bells. I've some other thoughts on getting it out of the box but don't want to give away too much (I'd quite like the $1000 for a start).

Edited by mobsterone