Grip At The Arnold Classic

climber511

From the IronMind website - Mighty Mitts will be a new feature at the Arnold Classic, featuring feats of grip strength. The events are:

Jowett Anvil: deadlift the 163 lb. anvil by its horn

Sorin’s Monster: deadlift a 500-lb. barbell with a 2-inch diameter handle

Inch by Inch: walk for distance with an Inch replica dumbbell in each hand

Mark Henry Bell: lift the 300-lb dumbbell with a 2.5-inch diameter handle out of its box

Gama Club: lever an 80-pound Indian Club

It looks like quite a challenge. I plan on being front and center to watch it!

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• 1stCoC

• The Natural

• andurniat

From the IronMind website - Mighty Mitts will be a new feature at the Arnold Classic, featuring feats of grip strength. The events are:

Jowett Anvil: deadlift the 163 lb. anvil by its horn

Sorin’s Monster: deadlift a 500-lb. barbell with a 2-inch diameter handle

Inch by Inch: walk for distance with an Inch replica dumbbell in each hand

Mark Henry Bell: lift the 300-lb dumbbell with a 2.5-inch diameter handle out of its box

Gama Club: lever an 80-pound Indian Club

It looks like quite a challenge. I plan on being front and center to watch it!

DO?

The Mighty Mitts challenge will be a premier stage event at the 2010 Arnolds Classic..... the World's largest strength show(150,000 visitors). The Grip events will EACH carry a 1000.00 prize and be held in front of a stage side crowd of 8000+ people. As Dr. Todd said "It will make him (the winners) famous" There will be a maximum of 10 men selected. If you think you have what it takes or you are "the best" you can send your resume of grip accomplishments and personal statistics to Dr.Todd or me at richard@sorinex.com for initial review.If you want to bring grip up to worldwide notoriety start training, and step up! Richard Sorin

The Gamma club is under design . It will probably be used in the 2011 contest (not this upcoming show) prototypes of this 80-100lb club will be available at the Arnolds for testing.RS

What kind of lever will the Gama club be? Is it safe to assume it's 2 hands like Slim's double sledge levers?

The Gamma club will be held two handed and lifted to an "on the shoulder" position.At this stage it is an idea being developed for future contests.RS

wicked-mark-henry-db.jpg

Best I could find of the Mark Henry dumbbell. I think I might move that out out it's box for $1000.00 Hmm :whistel

The Gamma club will be held two handed and lifted to an "on the shoulder" position.At this stage it is an idea being developed for future contests.RS

As in Wade Gillingham's old "Friday workout" video where he uses a 25lb sledge to hit a tire, then after the impact he slowly raises over his head again with the same 2-handed grip?

Steve, I'm not sure you'll fit the bill for this one. There is a lot of thickbar here.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

As in Wade Gillingham's old "Friday workout" video where he uses a 25lb sledge to hit a tire, then after the impact he slowly raises over his head again with the same 2-handed grip?

Steve, I'm not sure you'll fit the bill for this one. There is a lot of thickbar here.

You win $1000 per event. No one wins them all. I fancy winning $1k.

Richard, instead of limiting the participants to just those who submitted applications, maybe also allow impromptu performances. Obviously you don't want to let just anyone try, since that would waste time. But what if you stipulated that anyone who completes the Grip Gauntlet in the hard format is allowed to try their hands? The reason I say this is that there will be some very strong guys at the show who do not keep up with grip gossip. They may only learn of the grip contest once they arrive. It would be great to give them the chance too, so long as they pass some preliminary test. What do you think?

-Rex

This contest has been welcomed with open arms from the very top of the Arnold's show organizers. There may be a last minute phenom to show up and be "discovered" but due to the level of this contest the persons have to be known to have an established reputation, known directly by the committee and/or pass a prelim test as to be of the caliber required for the tasks.EVERY one will be a real world class grip/strenth man.We encourage the best from abroad to come forth as well to show who is truly best and enjoy the huge Arnolds'experience. Press releases will be channeled to many strength related sites. I am sure many of your grip contest winners and record holders will respond in an effort to showcase their great talents.RS

there was already a post up on Marunde Muscle's forum. so, the strongman word is out.

I would love the opportunity to step up to THIS plate. My resume has been sent to Dr. Todd.

Chad Woodall

Richard, do we send a resume to both you and Dr. Todd, or just to you? I have your email address, but not Dr. Todd's and don't see it listed anywhere above?

Thanks.

An event like this should be set up at the Olympic weightlifting games or the

Worlds Strongest Man finals. Then prepare to fork out a lot of cash.

Someone should contact Andy Bolton for this event so he can submit

a form to try out if he desires. I think he would lift that #300 DB right out of the box

without hesitation.

$1000.00 is a lot of cash to most people but to bring out the absolute GRIP MONSTERS globally the

money would have to be very significant ($10,000.00 or more) and advertised correctly 6 months in advance. There would

be people come out of the wood works from who knows where and unknown too.

The event will be interesting for sure. I'm sure the contestants will be the "well known"

american gripsters everyone is familiar with. I guess we will find out.

Just my thoughts.

Edited by Mighty Joe

Guest Bullitt

Many of the WSM competitors and big name powerlifters will be at the Arnold competing. If pride is not enough to get them to compete, I'm not sure $1000, or $10,000, or even $100,000 will be enough to get them to risk their reps against these "well known American gripsters." Who's to say they would be able to do better than our well known gang (not all American - Don't forget Mob is coming over to compete)? I mean Chad has pulled as much on the RT as the "RT King" Mark Felix. I think we might just be surprised to find out that our well known gang (Andrew, Chad, Steve, Jedd, Dave, Brad) might just be the guys to beat in this contest no matter who competed.

I know our grip guys look to be willing to step up. All the "absolute Grip Monsters" out there have to do to beat them would be to step up on the stage and give it a shot. That's been a running argument on here that the WSM guys and the big powerlifters could just run away with grip contests if they ever trained for them. I for one would love to see it. I think this is a great step to get grip strength more recognized in the strength universe. I hope some of the big names you are thinking of will participate since a good number of them will be there competing anyway. I think our gang would stand up pretty well against them. IMO.

Many of the WSM competitors and big name powerlifters will be at the Arnold competing. If pride is not enough to get them to compete, I'm not sure $1000, or $10,000, or even $100,000 will be enough to get them to risk their reps against these "well known American gripsters." Who's to say they would be able to do better than our well known gang (not all American - Don't forget Mob is coming over to compete)? I mean Chad has pulled as much on the RT as the "RT King" Mark Felix. I think we might just be surprised to find out that our well known gang (Andrew, Chad, Steve, Jedd, Dave, Brad) might just be the guys to beat in this contest no matter who competed.

I know our grip guys look to be willing to step up. All the "absolute Grip Monsters" out there have to do to beat them would be to step up on the stage and give it a shot. That's been a running argument on here that the WSM guys and the big powerlifters could just run away with grip contests if they ever trained for them. I for one would love to see it. I think this is a great step to get grip strength more recognized in the strength universe. I hope some of the big names you are thinking of will participate since a good number of them will be there competing anyway. I think our gang would stand up pretty well against them. IMO.

We will never know if others besides the "well knowns" come out and compete.

I'm saying it's going to take more than $1000.00 to bring them out. Pride is not

everything to some people.

Everyone you mentioned is well known. I'm also saying I believe there's some GRIP MONSTERS

lurking out there undiscovered. This is who I'm talking about.

I'm not in anyway discrediting the current "well knowns". They're GRIP MONSTERS themselves.

Keep in mind I said "global". I don't think we're even close to discovering who's out there

with absolute MONSTROUS GRIP STRENGTH. Our thinking tends to be limited by what is currently

being accomplished and forget that there's billions of other people out there with who knows what

kind of grip strength.

One thing for sure, time will tell eventually.

The Chad will win every event except the axle and I'm going with Andrew on that one. I look forward to the showdown between Grip Nerds and the Pro Strongmen who would supposedly run away with our sport.

The Chad will win every event except the axle and I'm going with Andrew on that one. I look forward to the showdown between Grip Nerds and the Pro Strongmen who would supposedly run away with our sport.

Not to quick Josh. :) Lifting the #300 DB "out of the box" will be different than lifting it "already

out of the box". I would like to know the wiggle room of the DB in the box. (Mr. Sorin?) There's some physics going on

there that will make a big difference.

Grip Nerds vs. Pro Strongmen? Let's not forget that Andrus Murumets (strongman) broke Mark Felix's RT record

"first time" he'd ever seen the implement. MMmm? Just think if he trained the RT. Mark went on to win 1st place

but my point is that this guy walked right up and broke the previous record "1st TIME". Who else lurks around the corner?

Put up A LOT of CASH and advertise to the right audience and current records will be utterly destroyed.

Again, my thoughts. ;)