Rolling Thunder Carry Over

WPGGuy

Hi Everyone. I'm fairly new to grip strength training and I'm trying to figure out how far into this I want to go. I've purchased IM grippers and have closed the No. 2, and I've been working on pinch grip as well. Since I live in Winnipeg, Canada (hence the screen name), I likely won't ever have a chance to train with other serious grippers, so my primary goal will likely continue to be whole body strength, the big three in particular. I also live in an apartment, so space is at a premium, and I definitely don't have room for all the training equipment that I would like to have. Because of this, I train at the gym at my university (which is also included in the tuition so it's cheap).

With that in mind, I was wondering if buying a RT, plus loading pin and weight would be worth it for me. I plan on having a home gym once I get a house, so buying plates isn't too big of a deal (except for the space they'll take up while I'm in my apartment), but what I want to know is if there is any carry-over benefit to overall strength from using the RT. Is the RT effective for supplementary back workouts, or is grip such a limiting factor that the RT is only really good for grip workouts?

Thanks.

but what I want to know is if there is any carry-over benefit to overall strength from using the RT.

Very much so, at least in my case. I've done little else but RT for months now, and my pinch and grippers have improved, not to mention my support grip. It doesn't have to be RT though. Thick bar in general is a great overall strength builder (regular diameter is great too).

-Rex

On reading your post again, I think you may be asking whether the RT would promote overall body strength when used in place of regular handles on things like rows. It's hard to tell from what you wrote.

Depends on how you use it and what kind of weight you can handle. I think it will always be primarily a grip workout you get from it but you can deadlift, wrist curl, row, pullsdowns, regular curl, etc. with it. I f you're using it with a weight that your grip and say curl equalize fairly close then it's be nailing both very effectively but say if you've got a weaker grip and use it for deadlifts the carry over to your body might not be so great.

As far as being Canadian there's a few guys in Manitoba, quite a few out East and I think I'm the only one I've ran across out West. Look up Caolin Berg (Cberg) on the board and Jon (Machine Grip) as Manitoba guys.

What I'm trying to ask is given my limitations on room, cash, (what with being a student and all), and other factors given in my first post, is the RT worth it and is it going to help my training outside of grip? So for something like deadlifts, will my back be able to get a good workout from it, or will my grip always be weaker proportionately that I won't effectively work my back and other DL muscles? What other exercises can be done with the RT? Part of what I'm looking for is how much bang per buck I'm going to get out of buying one.

Good to know there are some other Manitobans here. I looked at the member map here and all I saw was one member from The Pas and it seemed like most were in the Easter States.

As far as other exercises I think what I listed should start to get the gears going. You're only limited by your imagination. As far as a workout is concerned I think Rex and I both indicated the benefits. As far as bang for your buck there's a ton of stuff you can do without buying specialized grip apparatus. It all depends on your goal and what you want to get out of it.

What do you want handstrength for specifically?

As far as other exercises I think what I listed should start to get the gears going. You're only limited by your imagination. As far as a workout is concerned I think Rex and I both indicated the benefits. As far as bang for your buck there's a ton of stuff you can do without buying specialized grip apparatus. It all depends on your goal and what you want to get out of it.

What do you want handstrength for specifically?

Well for most of my training all I need is a power rack, bench, and a set of olympic weights. But since I can get all that at my gym and I can't put it in my apartment, I've been looking for specialty equipment that I could use in a small space to supplement my gym work and that I could still use once I get a home gym set up.

What got me started with grip training was my fitness test for the Canadian Forces which included a grip test (I got 69kg for each hand, which is almost double the requirement, but I want to try to max it out at 100kg). I also think big forearms look really impressive (since most of us wear shirts all the time, its the the only muscle that gets seen much), and I would like to not have to ever use straps for the DL, so supporting strength is important for me too.

So you guys think that the RT is a good piece of equipment and that training with it doesn't only get you better at doing more RT lifts?

Edited by WPGGuy

I don't think it's what you're looking for personally as I look over your goals.

grip test (I got 69kg for each hand, which is almost double the requirement, but I want to try to max it out at 100kg)

- MMS Gripper work, etc. stuff that's in the range of your dyno

big forearms

- Wrist roller, wrist curls, hammer curls

deadlift support

- Double overhand deadlifting, heavy one armed rows, chins/pull-ups

Kettlebells might be the answer for you in your apartment. Decent strength, conditioning and handstrength can be had with their use.

You know, I am now convinced that Rolling Thunder helps with the Apollon's Axle lift, but that the Apollon's Axle lift does not help the Rolling Thunder. My Axle lifts plateau when I work Axle, and ignore the RT, and the Rolling Thunder goes down. When I work Rolling Thunder and ignore the Axle, they both go up.

I think for some reason, it is an optimum thickness for me personally.

I would say you should not buy an RT. It's a grip/forearm training tool only. The grip will be the limitation when using it.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll hold off buying one for now, but I might still buy one after I get a house and all the other strength equipment first.

Today I tried adding some 2" PVC to the homemade pullup bar that I made. It looks like this Pull Up Bar, but with two 5" lengths of PVC along the middle. It should give me somewhat similar grip training and it doesn't cost a dime or take up any more space.