Joefrey Wibrin, Level 1

Cannon

gallery_9552_18_411.jpg

The GripBoard Proudly Certifies:

Joefrey Wibrin

As having closed the Mash Monster Elite Gripper (Level 1) with one hand under strict and uniformly ethical and authenticated conditions.

The certification is granted by the GripBoard as an independent third party with no ethical or commercial conflict of interest. The Mash Monster Gripper was one of a limited number supplied by, rated and qualified by, and controlled by the Board. This momentous feat was demonstrated on video to assure it will be valid for historical posterity.

gallery_9552_18_19594.jpg

Joefrey mashes the GripBoard Mash Monster Gripper - Level 1

Name: Joefrey Wibrin

Height: 5'11"

Weight: 210lbs

Date of Feat: December 10, 2009

VIDEO:

How Long Grip Training: Since May 2007

Current Grip Training Program: Grippers two times a week plus one workout dedicated to hands and wrist exercises without use of grippers.

Other Training Info: Kettlebells training 4 days a week, 20 minutes per workout.

Other Info: Proud father of two boys, Nils and Noé, to who I dedicate this MM1 certification.

Acknowledgements: The GripBoard (kind administrators and members), Ben Edwards and Teemu Ilvesniemi for their inspiring articles about grippers, Mike Rinderle and Manthos Georgantzis for their kind support, David Delgado for all the equipment he has made for me, Warren Tetting for the wonderful grippers he has manufactured, John Brookfield, Brooks Kubik, and Pavel Tsasouline from who I have learned a lot.

gallery_9552_18_24853.jpg

Joefrey Wibrin, the 64th Man in the World to close the Mash Monster Gripper - Level 1.

Back to the Mash Monsters Main

Could you tell us a little about your background in lifting?

(age, when started lifting, why you started, what you do now as far as lifts)

I started training with weigths 20 years ago and never stopped. I really enjoy powerlifting and strongmen events. At the present time,I'm working with kettlebells most of the time.

How did you get into grip training?

I decided to deadlift seriousely but hands were weak. After a quick search on the internet, I bought grippers. That's how it started, back in May 2007.

You are now a GripBoard Mash Monster, what would you recommend to those aspiring to close this gripper?

Difficult to answer, we are all so different. Most important thing is to take time to learn and prepare your hands to hard work. It can take a few months but patience pays, especially at the beginning.

You are also a Certified Captain of Crush®. How long did it take you from when you first started working on the grippers to closing the #3?

I am not a COC but it's one of my goals.

What does your current grip routine look like?

Two workouts per week dedicated to grippers only and one workout dedicated to hands and wrists exercises without use of grippers.

How has your grip routine changed since you first started training your grip?

At the begining, workouts were quite simple; after a quick warm-up, 10 to 12 attempts on my goal gripper, 3 times per week. Then, when I was able to close the #2.5, things changed a lot and because I've reached a plateau, I tried a lot of routines. Best routines followed were the KTA program then the Ben Edwards routine described in Milo "Destination certification". Later one changed considerably my workouts. My present routine is now more simple then it was at the begining and do you know what? I'm feeling better than ever and I make progress I shouldn't even imagine!

There seems to be a significant variation in the frequency of grip workouts among trainees even with the common goal of ultimate grip strength. Have you experimented with workout frequency and it's affect on your training?

Twice a week is plenty enough for me.

What are your favorite grip exercises?

Grippers and rolling thunder.

What kind of starting routine would you recommend for a trainee new to grip training?

Ten tons of routine can work at the beginning. Keep it simple and safe. Focus on the technique. Have a log book and a plan.

Who do you most admire in gripdom?

Those who take time to teach to others.

If you were to start over again withyour grip training, what would you do differently?

I don't know.

What do you believe is the most difficult grip exercise?

Closing #4.

What are some of your personal bests in grip exercises?

To be honest, I'm nowhere! I've discovered that a new world exists and I'm really excited to explore it.

What do you believe is the most common mistake made by new grip trainees? Lack of patience. Trying to close too hard grippers too early. Overtraining. Not listening to your body.

What do you consider to be the greatest grip feats of all time?

Closing #4. Closing #3 with 2 fingers.

Do you have any parting advice for readers?

Have a good time while training. It's the best reward.

Thanks Mike !

And next year, I'll add my name to the MM2 list, beside yours... Unless you're already at a higher level, which I sincerely wish (and expect)! :tongue