How Big Are Your Forearms? Do Grippers Really Get Them Bigger?

KBI

Grippers help your overall strength but do nothing for size, wrist roller helps size but does nothing for strength, go figure?

I have to totally disagree I think wrist rolls make you really strong when done properly, the prob is most are afraid to use some real weight. see here....

Rico

How do you know all this AP?

Edited by Mighty Joe

I always go both ways, however with this weight I'm not sure that I could 225 is really heavy. 3 plates isint a prob to go in reverse for me though. Also this has to help thick bar because a olympic bar is 2" on the end.

Right

Grippers help your overall strength but do nothing for size, wrist roller helps size but does nothing for strength, go figure?

I have to totally disagree I think wrist rolls make you really strong when done properly, the prob is most are afraid to use some real weight. see here....

Rico

Hmm? Hey I'm not going to get down on your personal experience, maybe they have been big for you, maybe there is more carryover to AW. I've just never noticed any particular carryover from these to any other event. Not that they're not fun or good for extension work. I've spent a lot of time on them in the past thats just my experience.

Rico

Hmm? Hey I'm not going to get down on your personal experience, maybe they have been big for you, maybe there is more carryover to AW. I've just never noticed any particular carryover from these to any other event. Not that they're not fun or good for extension work. I've spent a lot of time on them in the past thats just my experience.

Thanks AP, I was just curious. I've had great gains from them myself but I guess everyone is

different.

I have a new wrist roller I've come up with that I'm having made that will change the way

most people use and think about wrist rollers. It will blow you away!

Stay Strong!!!

I've found wrist rolling with the wrists supported but the roller unsupported, with fairly light weights, superior to heavy supported wrist rolling, which seems to degenerate into just another grip exercise.

Rico

Sick video Rico,strong stuff!!!

thanks!

Hers a instructional vid for the new guys. I don't use a lot of weight but I do show you the safe way to set up and correctly do this exersize.

Rico

I always go both ways, however with this weight I'm not sure that I could 225 is really heavy. 3 plates isint a prob to go in reverse for me though. Also this has to help thick bar because a olympic bar is 2" on the end.

Right

I'm gonna let that one slide. . . . Be more carefull Parris !! :laugh:laugh

Nice power on that wristroller too. :mosher

Wrist roller, when I used to do them, always blew my thumbs up. I used a 3" diameter piece of PVC pipe when I did them, wrapped in grip tape.

Right

oh thankyou so much!!! i cant believe i wrote that

Parris

Right

Parris

Ah that was funny. Crip up.

Right

Parris

Ah that was funny. Crip up.

To gain more forearm size should I focus on my extensors more? And would doing very high reps be better for that purpose along with the added muscle growth and definition. I still find forearm and wrist, hand strengthen a bit confusing. I been sore to some degree everyday since I started training. Not sure if thats good or bad..

I'm actually interested in this -- "the rotation" by Brookfield, which is just a single-handed wrist roll. I suspect, though, that the second hand must be used between turns. A 2-2.5" bar sounds more interesting too. Anyway, because of its location, training the pronator quadratus might add size to the wrist. No?

Traditional hammer curls (especially with thick DBs) are a great exercise for getting thicker forearms.

Jedd's sick sledge hammer roll-ups are nasty.

Replying to How Big Are Your Forearms? Do Grippers Really Get Them Bigger?

Yes grippers DO get Forearms bigger. Use a gripper you can do 15 reps with and do sets as you would if working out any other body part, you'll get bigger Forearms if you follow a good workout and eat right. I'd say grippers have added over an inch to my forearms since I started using them. My gallery has before and after pics so you'll see some of the results I've had.

interesting...this forum made measure my forearms again and i grew a 1/2 in. since the last time i measured...about a month ago i think i was at 14.5 in. straight flexed now i'm at 15 and 90deg gooseneck is about 16. There is almost no difference between cold and pumped. Pretty cool, the only thing i've added to my training is heavy dumbbell curls inspired from Voevoda's training...guess i'll keep doing that. eh...good to know...now back to deadlifts! :tongue

Yes grippers DO get Forearms bigger. Use a gripper you can do 15 reps with and do sets as you would if working out any other body part, you'll get bigger Forearms if you follow a good workout and eat right. I'd say grippers have added over an inch to my forearms since I started using them. My gallery has before and after pics so you'll see some of the results I've had.

How did you get the lower portion so big? In one pick it's like a stair case. Your top forearm muscle then theres a sepereration to the lower part. Our forearm size is about the same, but mine are more beefy.. Yours are tighter, leaner, with better seperation.

Yes grippers make a difference to forearm size. When I started gripping about a year ago I could just close the trainer in my right hand which had a 12 inch forearm, now I can close the 2.5 from a parallel and I have a 14" forearm when measured 90 degree and goose neck, strait and goose neck is 13.75. My weight has stayed the same so I gained two muscle inches from a year of grip training, I started with a beginner workout of a warmup, negatives, then reps. After six months I did the kta which brought me from barley closing the two to slamming two reps with a 2.5. I never measured my forearms right after kta, but I stopped gripping after and now I have focused more on pinch lifting, and bending. I feel a great burn with pinch lifting, not as much of a burn with bending.

Mine are 12.5 straight and 13 goosenecked and I can almost close #3, pich 2 25's, 4 10's with 5lbs added wiegth, and a 37lb blob. I started training grip back in april '09 and I have not noticed any size gains at all, just hardness and vascularity.

Edited by tchcalvin

How did you get the lower portion so big? In one pick it's like a stair case. Your top forearm muscle then theres a sepereration to the lower part. Our forearm size is about the same, but mine are more beefy.. Yours are tighter, leaner, with better seperation.

I've found that doing very high reps with an easy gripper like a #1 or a trainer will give a good set/reps workout and pump up the Forearms like nothing else. Do 10 sets of 30reps just as a one off and you'll see what I mean!

Joe Roark has measured as many as anyone and he's also THE man to tell you that not only do most people BS they also measure them differently. If one guy claims an accurate 15-inch but it's goosenecked and another straight arm fist flexed claims the same then the straight arm measure is better. If you post a size up be clear what style you used.

At my heaviest and with a pump arm out but with a slight bend to my elbow I've had 16.25-inches. Being tall and with many years under my belt the muscles have become more developed nearer the wrist than back when it was all at the elbow so they look bigger due to over all mass than a shorter muscle looks.

As for grippers making them big... nope. Not on their own. Who here ONLY trains grippers?? No one I'll bet. Nearly all of ya do 2 or more movements. If you wanna work the meat use the old forearm curls, thick bar inc reps with an RT) or do some wrist roller work. But if you train for an all round grip inc pinch you'll get some development that way too.

Edited by mobsterone
  • Like 1

If size is your concern - do a workout more like a bodybuilder - its normally a much different method than for shear strength training. Probably the best way to get forearms bigger is simply to gain overall body weight. The size of the forearm "may" indicate strength potential but does not always indicate actual strength in any given exercise.