How Big Are Your Forearms? Do Grippers Really Get Them Bigger?

KBI

I notice that some people have average sized forearms but have great grip strength. Does gripping really get you big? I gained a 1/2 inch in about a month, but contribute that to my extensor training, as I'm seeing forearm growth in areas I'm not acustomed to. I also do reverse curls and hammer curls. And I'm a strong believer in muscle memory.

I notice that some people have average sized forearms but have great grip strength. Does gripping really get you big? I gained a 1/2 inch in about a month, but contribute that to my extensor training, as I'm seeing forearm growth in areas I'm not acustomed to. I also do reverse curls and hammer curls. And I'm a strong believer in muscle memory.

My forearms are 14". I think that is pretty average, for a gripster. Armwrestling blows up your forearms the most, I believe.

Here's Denis Cyplenkov

3274660899_67b2bf49f0.jpg

And no, Denis can't beat John either, ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IqVEExKLdU

I've measured mine at 17 some time back. I was doing a lot of wrist rolling at the time and that blows my forearms up. I think they are around 16.25 - 16.5 right now.

My upper arm is 18.5. :D

Grippers didn't do much for me, but believe it or not the extensor work made a noticeable difference. All the tendons and connective tissue underneath my wrist pumped out a lot.

mine look bigger than my biceps after lots of grip work, eventually your wrist will get bigger, i would say depends on how much grip you do

high reps with grippers, like 20 or more really give you a pump wich would make you bigger i guess. arnold always talked about the pump. but im not sure that il equate to closing power.

rico

My forearms right now are 15-3/4" cold. Grippers normally take up about 60% my grip training (recent training being an exception), but I think most of my forearm mass is from heavy bicep/back work that hits the forearms hard.

Matt: 19-7/8" :D

How funny, you posted this right before I commented on your huge forearms in the newbie section.

I can nearly close the 2.5 and my forearms are 14". I have found that wrist curls make my arm swell up much more than grippers.

Well I WAS going to post mine but not now. Thanks a lot Frank.

Rico

• Haha 1

Doing 74 reps with the HG150 gives me a out of the world pump. My thumbs throb, all that blood pumping. I feel like my forearms have been inflated. Going nuts on extensors is the same way. I get a huge bulge neaer the top of my wrist.. Feels like a band of muscle. I doubt 14inch forearms are average. I think 12-13 is the norm. My wrist are now 8 inches.. They were always 7 and 3 quarts, so some growth there too. The pic of that guy with the huge forearms look really nice. My arms are 16 inchea.. And mostly triceps, as I usually neglected biceps work.

wow that arm wrestler looks very powerfull!

:angry:

My forearms right now are 15-3/4" cold. Grippers normally take up about 60% my grip training (recent training being an exception), but I think most of my forearm mass is from heavy bicep/back work that hits the forearms hard.

Matt: 19-7/8" :D

Nice.

I was just painting the picture of the ridiculous ratio between lower and upper arm.

My forearms are around 15" cold right now and biceps almost 19". I dont do any bicep work, and haven't for over a decade. Its not the size of them that matters, its what you can do with them IMHO.

Grippers dont usually do much for overall forearm size since the muscles for them are a relatively small percentage of your forearm muscle. wrist flexors, extensors and finger extensors work would make a bigger difference.

-Aaron

Edited by acorn

My measurement from above is with the elbow at 90 and the wrist goosenecked... I believe that pullers will measure that way. It was also off memory, so...

Doing 74 reps with the HG150 gives me a out of the world pump. My thumbs throb, all that blood pumping. I feel like my forearms have been inflated. Going nuts on extensors is the same way. I get a huge bulge neaer the top of my wrist.. Feels like a band of muscle. I doubt 14inch forearms are average. I think 12-13 is the norm. My wrist are now 8 inches.. They were always 7 and 3 quarts, so some growth there too. The pic of that guy with the huge forearms look really nice. My arms are 16 inchea.. And mostly triceps, as I usually neglected biceps work.

My average was going off a thread that asked the same question as you, about a month or so ago. Most people posted about 14." It is also said that anyone whose forearm is double or more than the size of their wrist, is impressive. I'm sure someone on here knows who said that. Anyway, fifteen and up is impressive to me. Devon has 15" biceps and 17" arms. Also, he is 6'5". I have long limbs at 6'3", as Devon does, so I think my forearm and upper arm muscle is spread out more than someone with a shorter limb.

Here's a picture of Brzenk's @ ROTN 2009:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=9286

If your forearm is bigger than John's I want to see a picture of it with the tape on it.

I've seen a lot of forearms in my career and John's has to be one of the BIGGEST I've seen.

If you have a 15"+ forearm flexed & straight, you have a large forearm my friend.

I'm talking muscle here, not fat.

• Like 2

Straight, unpumped and unflexed: 15 inches. Goosenecked is 15.5 inches. Wrist is 8.5 inches.

I'd say Brezenk and Bath have very impressive forearms. And strong to boot.

Anyone willing to post their over all measurements? Maybe even "reach." I've done some research, and there's some controversy about how reach is measured; via armpit to knuckle, or fingertip to fingertip across the chest. FTF adds in your chest, so if you have wide shoulders, it's boosts your FTF reach. Armpit to knuckle is an accurate measurement of arm length. My arm facing forward, from armpit to knuckle, is 28.5 inches. And FTF is about 78 inches. It was kinda hard to do this, so It's not super accurate. 6'3" 245lb

Grippers help your overall strength but do nothing for size, wrist roller helps size but does nothing for strength, go figure?

Grippers help your overall strength but do nothing for size, wrist roller helps size but does nothing for strength, go figure?

I have to totally disagree I think wrist rolls make you really strong when done properly, the prob is most are afraid to use some real weight. see here....

Rico

I have to totally disagree I think wrist rolls make you really strong when done properly, the prob is most are afraid to use some real weight. see here....

Rico

Yup I've done plus 200lbs, does it hit the thumbs? Nope, how bout does it help wrist power? Nah, can it help thick bar? Not that I've seen, does it hit help supporting? Uh, no.

I don't think they are worthless mind you, but they don't seem to help any conventional grip events, maybe you've had success helping armwrestling stuff? I'll do them again doubtless but I won't expect much.

Yea I don't know what your talkin about, your cranking up 200+ and not using your thumbs to hold on or wrists to move the bar? Yea like I said you must need more than 200 then. Oh id like to see that video too when you do it.

Rico

I think the video you showed works your extensors more than anything, witch I believe would make your forearm look bigger, and help prevent injury, and increase stability. Much like working your triceps helps more to make your arm look big, rather than your biceps. I don't think it would help directly in armwrestling, being that your wrist only moves like that when you are losing, or in a shoulder roll (even then, no), but it would definitely help to support the muscles that are being used. Those muscle groups may tie into rising power, though. A very important strength for offense and definitely defense. Now if you were rolling the opposite way, that would be a different story.

Impressive, none the less.