Question: Is Farmers Walk Enough???

python

Question is, Can anyone tell me the full benefit of doing the farmers walk for grip strength? I have been working with regular dumbells weighing 60lbs and walking about 50 feet. Then on alternate days I do them with rollling Thunder Bars with 85lbs on each for about the same distance. I walk about 6 times with the 60's and 4 or 5 times with the 85lbs. I definitely feel my hands and it seems to be working but how often is enough and is it better to go shorter distance with heavier weight? Please all input is appreciated.

If you've ever read the classic, "Dinosaur Training", Brooks Kubik does Farmers with UNGODLY heavy weights (about 150 percent of his BW). :yikes Well, I'm not ready for that yet... although I've done a FW with a pair of 100 DB's, and it is quite a load.

So go as heavy as you can, and walk as far as you can - you'll get the full benefit of the FW then. Good Luck! :)

Guest Harlan Jacobs

I like doing them once a week. If you want to go 60', thats fine. But after a small warm up, go to something that you can only get around 40' with.Set it down,shake your hands for about 5 seconds and pick them up and try and finish. If you can't, do the same thing untill you do or till you can't pick them up. Go through this 3 times. If you are a sadistic person you well love it. If not you will be calling me names. We go a miniumum off 100'. Most of the time it's 200.We also are useing farmers implements not dumbells. The dumbells will be harder because they rotate.

Good luck !

• 2 weeks later...

I'd go a longer distance and heavier weight. Put some turns in there too. Turning is the hardest part of a farmer's walk and brutal on the grip, especially when using heavy weights.

BC.