Hands

bseedot

All this talk of medium sized hands, large, small has me wondering what it means to have a "whatever" sized hand?  Best I can figure, mine are about 7-7/8" from tip of middle finger to the base of the inside of my hand, but I'm not sure I'm even measuring correctly.  I measure from the tip of my middle finger to where?

BC.

(Edited by bseedot at 2:39 pm on Mar. 5, 2001)

bseedot: i dont know really.but i think it is like with you feet and other bodyparts.that they are symetrik with your length.a taller guy have bigger hands then a samller guy...etc.. but not always like that.

but offcourse it would bee great to know some measurements.so you reallly can tell if they are small,medium or large.

are yours 7 and 7/8 inch?

i think thats bigger then the average joe.

mine are 7,4 inch, when measuring like you did.

well hope someone knows..

/ Niklas

I think the average male is a little over 7 inches. On the GripBoard - from a previous poll - we found that our average is roughly 8 inches. So now you know what they say about guys with big hands: They do grip training.

Svein had a long standing poll on the old GripBoard. The data was obviously a sample of the hand sizes of GripBoard visitors so it may not necessarily be representative of the adult male population. My hands are 7-1/4 inches from wrist to tip of middle finger and are considered small.

Thanks guys.  I do remember seeing a poll about this on the old grip board, but that was when I just got into grip work so I didn't know half of what I was being exposed to.  Thanks for rehashing the results.

Yeah, Niklas, you got it right- 7 and 7/8".

BC.

Guest Dr Tom

I got leeetle hands (that's "little" for you, Niklas).  They only measure 7 and 1/8 inches.  Makes it tough, although there was a thread a few months back that claimed having smaller hands was an ADVANTAGE in closing the COC.  That didn't seem to make sense to me. I still think they're tough.   Still working hard on #2.

-Tom

I have weird hands.  If I measured them correctly they are 8in. but when I put my hands up to other peoples my fingers are always shorter.  I wear XL football gloves (if that means anything to anyone) but I have what people call small hands.  If I did measure them correctly I think I have small fingers with a large palm.  My palms also seem very wide.  Weird huh?

JD

Guest CanadaCrush

I have the same problem(if you would call it that) as JD. I have a thick, meaty, wide hand; my fingers, however, resemble an old ladies. They are thin and relatively short. My hand measures 8" how the rest of you measured it. My left is slightly smaller for some reason. *shrug*

-Mark

Mine are 8, i always thought they were small.  However unlike my fathers, my fingers are thin, about 3/4 in accross where as his are well over 1 inch.

I disagree that small hands help in closeing COC's.  My cousin Tommy who stands around 6'6 and weighs around 270 has enourmas bear paws that enabled him to close the number two (right hand only) within 5 minutes of playing with it, a feat which took me 6 months.  

I only see him once a year, however this saterday when I visit I am bringing my number three to humble him a bit!!!!!!!!!!

Mine are 7.5 inches long.  People always told me I had big hands.  Maybe for my size?

5'6.5, 118 lbs.

Still growing though.

Take care,

Michael Falkov

Guest ddtkid

I know that your other body parts become larger when you give it a workout, so would your hands become larger if you do grip workout?  

Guest sonik

Maybe someone could post a picture of their hand with a ruler over it so I can figure out where the wrist starts and the hand ends :)

Guest Danjo

My hands are 8 5/8" from base of palm to tip of middle finger, and 4 1/2" wide across the palm measured between the thumb and fingers (where the "life line" starts). I am 5' 10 1/2" tall and have 8" around wrists.

For COC grippers: I believe large hands help for the initial part of the close, and that small hands may feel more confortable when approaching the close. So medium guys are disadvantaged :)

How to measure:

The base of your hand is where the hand bones end. I have a line roughly at that spot. Use as starting point the middle of the bottom of your hand.

The tip is the end of your longest finger - whichever that is (middle finger in most men, but in some cases it is the index finger).

Dr.Tom:i dont think your handes ar small.they are medium at least. :)

ddtkid: my fingers have grown thicker...and i like that alot.

/ Niklas

WOW...I just measured my hands and they are barely 7" :( I would say I have girls hands but wouldn't want to offend the women. Is it any wonder why I "cantgripcrap"

Fred

7 5/16" from the tip on my index finger to the wrist watch band wrinkle in the skin around my wrist (the wrinkle closest to my hand).  7/8" thick finger at middle of my middle finger.

bug

My hands measure 61/2 inches from wrist to tip of middle finger and 31/2 inches across from below the thumb, do I have the smallest hands on the board (maybe I should change my name to babyhands)

• 6 months later...
Guest Dimitri

I don't mean to be skeptical.......but a 13 in.wrist??????I'm 6'3'' ,270 lbs with a slightly over 9 inch wrist........my hands and wrists have always looked big even at my large size and on my really long arms............I can't imagine a 13 inch wrist unless someone is Andre the giant sized.

I am not like Andre, but i am 6'8" tall and 455 pounds (big overweigt). Must tell, that my forearms are not much bigger than my wrists, only 16" around.

Baer's wrist/forearm ratio turns out to be that

his 16" forearm is 1.23 times his 13" wrist.

For someone with a 7.5" wrist, the same

proportion would be a 9.2" forearm.

But if Baer hits stride and gets his forearms

up to one and a half times his wrists, he will

have a 19.5" forearm. Twice his wrist would,

of course, be 26". Mama!