20 Lb Sledge Lever

jpmmkrahling

That was decent mike! Did u weigh the tape?

Rico :)

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jpmmkrahling

• Bob Lipinski

• The Natural

• rico300zx

Guest Bullitt

That was decent mike! Did u weigh the tape?

Rico :)

:laugh:laugh The whole thing weighed 16.5 on the bathroom scale. I figure 1/2 pound for handle and 1/2lb for tape. :laugh

Good lever. The cotest setups let you concentrate on the lift more than your arm position.

Only problem with form is the "hard stop" on your head there- Don't know if that will go with the Gripmas setup. You are more than strong enough for 17+ come gripmas.

Here is my best recent shot. I should have made the platform an inch or so higher. Also, it was very juryrigged and very unsteady.

Guest Bullitt

22 pounder last night. Get to work Mike!

-Rex

Damn bro. That's huge! Strong stuff. I bought a new hammer the other day. Supposed to be 16lbs but it weighed 18.25 on our postal scale. It's giving me fits. Still have to choke up on it a little.

You can do it! Take a day or so off, don't beat your self up over it, or you'll strain something then you'll be out for sure.

Rico

-Rex

Damn bro. That's huge! Strong stuff. I bought a new hammer the other day. Supposed to be 16lbs but it weighed 18.25 on our postal scale. It's giving me fits. Still have to choke up on it a little.

I usually subtract a pound from total hammer weight to account for handle weight. That would mean in this case that the head of the hammer is still heavier than it's supposed to be, at a weight where one pound can really matter. Or are you putting just the hammer head on the scale?

-Rex

Guest Bullitt

-Rex

I usually subtract a pound from total hammer weight to account for handle weight. That would mean in this case that the head of the hammer is still heavier than it's supposed to be, at a weight where one pound can really matter. Or are you putting just the hammer head on the scale?

-Rex

I put the whole thing on the scale. It has a lightweight fiberglass handle with a rubber grip. I was figuring about a pound for the handle and grip too, so I was expecting 17 or so. The grip makes it a little fatter at the handle too which seems to add a whole new dimension as well. I figure the head is somewhere between 17 & 17.5. I just have to keep working at it. The bottom line is that you have nothing to worry about from me in the sledge levering department anytime soon. 22 is massive bro. Not sure these old wrists will ever get to those levels. :cry

-Rex

Nice job Rex, Looks like i need to start trying :laugh

Guest Bullitt

So of course I got motivated to try it tonight. :whistel

Weighed it on our bathroom scale which only goes in 0.5lb increments. It was 18.25 on the postal scale at work. 18 on this home scale. When I weighed just the head, holding the handle, it was 17. The handle is 31.25" long from the head.

Anyway, I levered it:

Still need to work on form and also using a platform like there will be at Gripmas.

Weighed it on our bathroom scale which only goes in 0.5lb increments. It was 18.25 on the postal scale at work. 18 on this home scale. When I weighed just the head, holding the handle, it was 17. The handle is 31.25" long from the head.

Anyway, I levered it:

Still need to work on form and also using a platform like there will be at Gripmas.

Nice lever Mike. You're like Eric in preferring the slow descent.

-Rex

Guest Bullitt

Anyway, I levered it:

Nice lever Mike. You're like Eric in preferring the slow descent.

-Rex

Thanks. Self preservation instinct. :laugh

Solid lever, Mike!

Here's an idea I had for contests to insure all the gripsters attain the same angle of lever:

Here's an idea I had for contests to insure all the gripsters attain the same angle of lever:

Eric,

your devise would definately make sure people had the same range of motion, but it would not help with the arguments about dropping of the arm during the second part of the exercise. But its a start

I have a question: is there any carry-over in strength between wrist curls and sledge lever movements?

At the moment I do wrist curls with 10kg metal plates, so Im curious to see how strong I am at doing sledge lever work ...

Thanks for the response :)

I have a question: is there any carry-over in strength between wrist curls and sledge lever movements?

At the moment I do wrist curls with 10kg metal plates, so Im curious to see how strong I am at doing sledge lever work ...

Unfortunately no. There is no carryover. Levers and plate curls or plate wrist curls are two very different movements.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

I don't know - it seems like doing behind the back wrist curls seem to help my sledge work while regular wrist curls do not. Maybe worth a try.

I might be wrong, but Eric's device should solve all arm dropping questions- The arm lowering mostly serves to decrease ROM. If it happens just cause the hammer is heavy and you are contracting everything hard (which usually is the case), if you reach the required depth anyways you should be good.

Although, just to mention, you could cheat this with some body lean. I have noticed it in some of my videos- Nothing I did on purpose, but if you lean forward to meet the hammer then lean back on the positive it takes alot of wrist out of the movement.

-Rex

-Rex

I put the whole thing on the scale. It has a lightweight fiberglass handle with a rubber grip. I was figuring about a pound for the handle and grip too, so I was expecting 17 or so. The grip makes it a little fatter at the handle too which seems to add a whole new dimension as well. I figure the head is somewhere between 17 & 17.5. I just have to keep working at it. The bottom line is that you have nothing to worry about from me in the sledge levering department anytime soon. 22 is massive bro. Not sure these old wrists will ever get to those levels. :cry

mike watch out for that home depo model with the rubber finger notched grip. it makes the levering really easy. your see when you compare to a wood handle, it really takes the pressure of your thumb webbing. dont trick your self cause youll be regretting it at gripmass. im not sure if climber is allowing grip aids like tape on the handle either. did anyone notice?

rico

Guest Bullitt

-Rex

-Rex

mike watch out for that home depo model with the rubber finger notched grip. it makes the levering really easy. your see when you compare to a wood handle, it really takes the pressure of your thumb webbing. dont trick your self cause youll be regretting it at gripmass. im not sure if climber is allowing grip aids like tape on the handle either. did anyone notice?

rico

This actually seemed to make it feel harder cause the handle was fatter. There aren't any finger notches, but it does give you a different grip for sure. It was the only big one I could find around here.