Top Posters In This Topic

• jpmmkrahling

• Bob Lipinski

• The Natural

• rico300zx

we need a list for hammers.

-Rex

thad be cool

a lever list, dead lift list, and possibly a rear lever list ....

-Rex

I would like to see this up asap. But the list must have a through description of the hammer and the feat itself and any if any gear allowed, and we need a judge like on the mm ladder.. And possibly a sample video so there will no mistakes of what is being preformed. Please

Rico

-Rex

I would like to see this up asap. But the list must have a through description of the hammer and the feat itself and any if any gear allowed, and we need a judge like on the mm ladder.. And possibly a sample video so there will no mistakes of what is being preformed. Please

Rico

Just don't let anyone from the Michigan crew be a judge, or else you'll need to do a 20 pound hammer just to break into the top 20. :D

-Rex

-Rex

Rico

Rico,

From what i learned about the rules while i was in Texas:

1) The wrist can not drop below the elbow at any point.

2) the end of the handle is 31" above the head of the weight

3) no wrist wraps

4) chalk is allowed

5) slight bend in the elbow is okay

6) you have to show the weight of the hammer on the video

7) you have to measure the height of the handle on the video

8) If the handle length is over 31" you can either mark it with tape or cut the handle at that point

9) If you use tape you can not put any part of your hand higher then the 31" mark

So according to thise rules, at the 52 second mark of my video, my wrist dropped below my elbow, even though it was on seen in that second, it would not be an officially recognized completion.

I'm not worried about it not being official because it was only my second attempt at a 20 lb (4th attampt on anything over 10 lbs) and i know with some practice i will be able to keep my wrist up higher.

-Rex

Rico

Just don't let anyone from the Michigan crew be a judge, or else you'll need to do a 20 pound hammer just to break into the top 20. :D

-Rex

Will knee sleeves be allowed on this new list? DFW-style calls for maximum leg drive when popping out big levers to the rear and the sleeves help you explode out of the hole. :D

-Rex

Rico

Rico,

3) no wrist wraps

4) chalk is allowed

8) If the handle length is over 31" you can either mark it with tape or cut the handle at that point

9) If you use tape you can not put any part of your hand higher then the 31" mark

So according to thise rules, at the 52 second mark of my video, my wrist dropped below my elbow, even though it was on seen in that second, it would not be an officially recognized completion.

I'm not worried about it not being official because it was only my second attempt at a 20 lb (4th attampt on anything over 10 lbs) and i know with some practice i will be able to keep my wrist up higher.

Ok fine if that's the rules and we all agree on them let's contact wannagrip and get these rules up on the gripboard records and stats so we can start shooting to be listed there. I think lots of guys here want to dop this. I think a perfect video as a sample onle should be recorded also so we all can see it done properly

Rico

-Rex

Rico

Rico,

3) no wrist wraps

4) chalk is allowed

This isn't pointed towards you Mike, I know those are the rules as dictated to you. This is to those who told you that rule and who continue to insist upon it.

Rule #1 is biomechanically impossible for me to adhere to under maximum load. My elbows hyperextend quite a bit when I flex my arms and that's not just for levers. So that is not and should not be the rule. The point of it was to say "no dipping" but since "dip" is apparently a subjective term to some, they like to use the wrist-elbow as a reference. You'll get some dip, there is no avoiding it. You could just have it be a rule that everyone needs to do them with their arm braced on a platform and it would eliminate a lot of headaches.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

Rule #1 is biomechanically impossible for me to adhere to under maximum load. My elbows hyperextend quite a bit when I flex my arms and that's not just for levers. So that is not and should not be the rule.

This reminds me of the big fat guys at the gym who say it's impossible for them to squat to parallel because their legs are so big.

That may well be true, and if so, it's unfortunate, but powerlifting has no duty to accommodate them. The rules are made with the majority in mind.

-Rex

Sounds like lots of fun. Two questions come to mind:

Do the lifts have to be hammer only, or can they be hammer plus attached weight? If attached weight is permissable, what is the acceptable way to attach the weight?

If not done in a contest, is video proof required or will a witness from the board be acceptable?

-Rex

Rico

Rico,

3) no wrist wraps

4) chalk is allowed

This isn't pointed towards you Mike, I know those are the rules as dictated to you. This is to those who told you that rule and who continue to insist upon it.

Rule #1 is biomechanically impossible for me to adhere to under maximum load. My elbows hyperextend quite a bit when I flex my arms and that's not just for levers. So that is not and should not be the rule. The point of it was to say "no dipping" but since "dip" is apparently a subjective term to some, they like to use the wrist-elbow as a reference. You'll get some dip, there is no avoiding it. You could just have it be a rule that everyone needs to do them with their arm braced on a platform and it would eliminate a lot of headaches.

No table, I would lile this to ba feat that any construction guy could do wile on the job, that's how its always been done amongst guys. Or have a seperate list for tables. What do you guys think?

Rico

Mike, I wouldn't count that as dipping if I was a judge, u were solid.

Rico

No table, I would lile this to ba feat that any construction guy could do wile on the job, that's how its always been done amongst guys. Or have a seperate list for tables. What do you guys think?

Rico

I agree Rico. I'd like for some shred of tradition to remain. If people want to fool with tables, they can go off on their on.

Bullitt, as far as how the weight is attached, again, I don't want to get so complicated that non-grip nerds lose interest. How about just a plate weight, shown in the vid, and then duct taped to the top of the head? Everyone's got tape. You can pick it up at the same place as a hammer. Two birds with one stone. The brand name of the tape does not matter.

-Rex

Hahahahaha, there are a million ways to lever. I finally found the technique on this one.

Really, the tabletop ones are the only good contest tests. Makes the judging less subjective.

Mike, you'll be among the best in no time. 20 is one hell of a place to start.

I've finally got the "texas style" form down. Levering, unless done in the contests, is basically just an art form. Lots of fun.

Now i can see why there will never be a list for a sledge lever. It is too hard to judge and everyone has a difference of opinion about what is considered a good rep. I did not post this to open up a can of worms, i'm just proud that i finally found something grip related that i'm pretty good at. I still can not close a #3, cant hub a 45, cant lift a blob, nothing but bending (and i'm only average in bending) and now sledge lever (this one particular style)

I agree that for comps, the table would make it alot easier to judge. So i'll just have to train and maybe enter a comp and see how i do using a table.

Thanks for all the responses, it motivates me for people on this board to find this worthy of even commenting on my video. My next video will be 22.5 lbs, let's see how long that takes. I'm thinking definately by the end of the year

Mike, well before the end of the year!

You didn't open a can of worms, don't worry and have fun. There are many ways to play. You will do great at the contests too, I am looking forward to some competition! If you come to gripmas you will do 25+ on that setup.

Mike, well before the end of the year!

You didn't open a can of worms, don't worry and have fun. There are many ways to play. You will do great at the contests too, I am looking forward to some competition! If you come to gripmas you will do 25+ on that setup.

Thanks Bob, i really think i will get that 22.5, yup. Like i said i'm no good at anything else so i can focus my training :D . And i'm thinking about Gripmas just to compete at the sledge. of course i'll wrap up last in all the others events but i have to start somewhere.

Mike, you'll be among the best in no time. 20 is one hell of a place to start.

I've finally got the "texas style" form down. Levering, unless done in the contests, is basically just an art form. Lots of fun.

22.5 pounder, Bob?

-Rex

-Rex

Rico

Rico,

3) no wrist wraps

4) chalk is allowed

if your elbow hyper-extends, why don't you just bend your elbow a little so that it is not on a hyperextended position and then perform the lever?

Edited by Paul Knight