A New Black Log

Tom Black

I just posted a new Black Log.  In this log I was still only dreaming about bending the Grade 5 bolt that is now on my site, I'm a little behind in posting the log.

Go to: Grippage

Great work, Tom.  Glad to see that your left hand is full strength again.  I notice that you don't give the #3 a shot in your workouts, even though you are now regularly consistent with the Master with your right.  At what point will you begin this?  Will you create a modified Master?

BC.

Not giving the #3 a shot in my workouts started when I was attempting it and realized that he took so much out of me that I was shot for the rest of the gripper workout.  Also, I reasoned that attempting a gripper that I could not close was a problem because I was not performing a full range of motion on the gripper.  I tried pushing the gripper against my leg for a while, but these seemed to cramp up my hand.

This was the genesis for the mod #2, because I felt that I could create a gripper that I could always close each workout as I progressed up in strength.  Since I can still do reps on the mod #2 I am guaranteed a few more weeks of modifications before dropping to singles on the mod #2.  If I’m lucky I will continue to be able to doing reps on the mod #2.  At some point, reps on the #2 will equal the #3.  I do try the #3, usually 3 days after my workout, but recently my forearms have been too sore to try!  I will start doing this again soon.

In theory, there is no reason to modify a Master because the modified number 2 has essentially the same spring.  If you look a gripper as a simple model of 2 lever arms mounted at an angle, the Master and mod #2 are identical when the #2 has ¼” cut off the handle.  The Master does have wider handles, so this factors in, but of course my #3 gripper angle is more comparable to the mod #2.

You make great sense.  So you think that you can take up to 1/2" off of the #2 with no ill effects to the gripper?  I suppose the handles' angle at closure would be slightly larger that an unmodified #2, but you seem confident that this lost leverage will not effect the strength of the spring further.

Thanks again, Tom.

BC.

I am very sure that the spring of my modified #2 gripper will not fatigue significantly more than, for example, the unmodified Master will fatigue.  

In order to verify this I took a gripper and put it in a vice and measured the space between the handles at 1/2" up the handles.  They were only 5/64" apart at that point, just slightly more than 1/16".  You can test this yourself by closing an easy gripper and eye-balling the distance.  I feel this extra handle movement is very minor.  People who cut off 1/8" from the inside of #2 grippers reported spring fatigue, however, this is an additional 1/4" of movement, almost 4 times the amount.  Further, I could make an argument that the Master, by virtue of the handles being almost a centimeter wider than my mod #2, would ultimately suffer from more spring fatigue than the 6/64" extra movement would cause on the mod #2.  

Also, it is my belief that I would never even cut off this much because the mod #2 would then be equal to a #3, so what would be the point.  I predict I'll stop modifying the gripper at around a "2.8".  Hopefully, I'll still be repping it so I will then be able to close the #3.  This "2.8" gripper will be handy to have.