2010 Dino Grip Challenge

bencrush

I'm the meet director of the 2010 Dino Grip Challenge in Holland, Kansas on February 13th, 2010. This is the first USAWA-sanctioned grip contest since the 2003 Super Grip Challenge, so I'm proud that Al Myers is excited about holding this contest at his superb training facility (The Dino Gym) in Holland, Kansas.

The entry form is available online at www.usawa.com. Click on the Event Calendar button and scroll down to the February 13th Dino Grip Challenge entry. There you'll find the entry form and the disclaimer. Print, sign, and mail them to me - along with your entry fee. You can purchase your USAWA membership on the day of the meet.

The events are:

2" Vertical Bar Deadlift - one hand

Thumbless-Grip Deadlift - one hand

Deadlift - 2 "Inch" Dumbbells - 2 1/2" Handles

Little Fingers Deadlift

Weaver Stick - to front

USAWA rules apply, so be sure and read up on the rules for all the events, even if you're already familiar with them. Grippers and bending are not included because they're not official USAWA events at this time. They may eventually work their way into the lineup though. I'd love to have a big turnout at the contest and so would Al. The Dino Gym has a stunning array of equipment. From strongman equipment to Highland Games implements to Inch Replicas and more.

The USAWA contests are great and the judging is very tight. There will be some very strong guys there and I hope to have some members of the board there to represent the GB in style. :cool Just because grippers and bending aren't in the contest doesn't mean you can't bring all your toys and goodies and we can have a blast at the after-contest showoff session. There will be some elite benders and gripper closers there. Don't miss your chance to learn from them.

There will be 2 weight classes:

Up to 199lbs

200lbs and Over

Also a Junior, Open, and Masters divisions. Female division if there is enough interest. A few ladies have already expressed their interest, but they are holding out for a few more to sign on before they decide to start training for it. So if you know any ladies who are on the fence, give them a friendly nudge OFF of the fence so they can start training in earnest for the contest. ;)

I plan on being in the 199lbs class so if anyone wants to come and beat on me, here's your chance. :D

The scoring is very easy. All the events are added together for a total poundage.

There will be many chances for competitors to break official USAWA National records on all the events. If you have any questions or comments, you can contact me at the cell phone number I have listed on the entry form.

I will continue to make instructional videos on the contest events to help out those that are interested in training for the contest. You've got a full 5 months to train for this - so there ought to be some phenomenal performances!

This will be a drug-tested contest. So bring your mean - but keep it clean. :D

Hope to see you there! :rock

Looks fun. I met Al in Columbus at the 2008 USAWA Nationals. He's a great guy and I hope to make this meet.

Looks like a lot of fun Ben! I guess there is no entry fee so the 25 bucks for the USAWA membership is the total cost?

I think the weaver and Vbar rules will get a lot of guys lifts DQ'd if they're not up on the rules and maybe even some that are, depending on how strictly they're enforced. Ben, do you know if "hand straight" in the weaver means the wrist can't bend? Almost everybody I've seen front lever bends their wrist using any type of real weight. Not saying this is better or worse, just different and definitely something to be aware of.

Looks like a lot of fun Ben! I guess there is no entry fee so the 25 bucks for the USAWA membership is the total cost?

Glad to hear you're interested Josh! :rock Especially since you're one of the elite guys I was talking about. Sorry about the confusion on the entry fee, but it's $15 - to cover food, drinks, drug testing, etc. This contest will cost everyone $40 to enter. That might sound a bit steep, but the venue - coupled with the all-around experience of being in The Dino Gym atmosphere - is going to be well worth it to any grip fan.

Looks fun. I met Al in Columbus at the 2008 USAWA Nationals. He's a great guy and I hope to make this meet.

That would be awesome to have you competing Andrew! You will set new records left and right I'm sure.

Money and back willing, I would love to come out for this Ben!

Let's hope both of those cooperate to get you out to the contest Mike! :rock

Sounds like good times Ben try to plan on it !

Really hope you can make it Jason, it'll be a great time man! :cool

I think the weaver and Vbar rules will get a lot of guys lifts DQ'd if they're not up on the rules and maybe even some that are, depending on how strictly they're enforced. Ben, do you know if "hand straight" in the weaver means the wrist can't bend? Almost everybody I've seen front lever bends their wrist using any type of real weight. Not saying this is better or worse, just different and definitely something to be aware of.

You're exactly right Josh. That's why I stressed that everyone should familiarize themselves with the specific USAWA rules on these events. They are judged TIGHT and it will no doubt put a crimp in some plans if the training doesn't match the contest-specific rules. I can't say for sure how the Weaver Stick event is judged. I did it at the 2003 Record Day event in Columbia, MO (Clark's Gym) - but I really don't remember that event to be honest. I just did one attempt and it passed. I would guess that the wrist can bend, but that the hand must remain "level" with the floor. Not tilted drastically is what I interpret the rules to mean.

Sounds like good times Ben try to plan on it !

You better be there Medium Nasty :D

Haha! We'll be in trouble if he decides to cut to 199lbs. We'll have to leave our women folk at home.

• 4 months later...

Ben,

Is the contest in Holland or Abilene? The forms on the USAWA website list an address in Abilene but the topic says Holland?

Any chance you can push the start time back to 11? That's V-day weekend and my wife wants to go out Friday night and it's a 6 hour drive for me. No problem if you can't, I know it's not your gym, but I figured no harm in asking.

Ben,

Is the contest in Holland or Abilene? The forms on the USAWA website list an address in Abilene but the topic says Holland?

Any chance you can push the start time back to 11? That's V-day weekend and my wife wants to go out Friday night and it's a 6 hour drive for me. No problem if you can't, I know it's not your gym, but I figured no harm in asking.

It's listed as Abilene in Al's address, but on MapQuest it shows up as Holland, so you're not far off. I don't think we can push the start time back...but if it means you won't be competing unless it's at 11 I'll push HARD (asking) to get it moved back if possible! Dang, wish it wasn't a 6-hour drive too. Hey, now that I'm thinking about it...I should call you and maybe we can figure out a way for you to meet me at my house and drive down with me in my rental car to save on some gas and let your hands rest a bit before the contest. I guess it'd only save you 1.5 hours down there, but altogether it'd save you at least 3 hours of drive time that day. We might be able to figure something out. Of course now I might've spoken too soon...since I need to get there an hour BEFORE the contest start time to go over some of the Meet Director responsibilities that I have. Hmmm...you could drive down the night before and stay with us and then drive down with me. It's all good.

No worries, Ben, I'll make 10 work. I can't stay the night before because my wife and I are going out and doing the V-Day thing then since that's when we can get a babysitter. I'm going to pick up my wife's cousin Travis (the Dinnie Stone Lifter) in Blue Springs on the way and then stay with him that night. I don't think he'll compete but he said he wasn't turning down the chance to see the famed Dino Gym.

Looks like we'll have at least 1 fantastic male armwrestler (also a COC) and possibly an elite female armwrestler competing at the Dino Grip Challenge. Looking forward to seeing Mary McConnaughey again if she can make it! One of the few women who has closed a #2. And the only one I've heard of that has closed it INVERTED. Nick Zinna is a grip monster from what I've heard from a very knowledgeable source. This will be an awesome contest! I think I've been officially knocked out of the top 3 in my own contest, lol. :D

One of the people coming to the contest is friends with Steve Justa...just thought that was interesting.

It would be great to have such contests in Belgium or in border countries (within a decent radius). You speak about Holland but unfortunately, it's not the place I'am thinking about ! :laugh:laugh

Have a good time and be amongst the best !

It would be great to have such contests in Belgium or in border countries (within a decent radius). You speak about Holland but unfortunately, it's not the place I'am thinking about ! :laugh:laugh

Have a good time and be amongst the best !

Thanks man! Wish it was closer to where you're at too. Another well-known COC told me he's interested in competing. I would love to see him again since 2003 was the last time I saw him.

Al Myers told me that Dale Harder has okayed him to "certify" people on his Baseline grip dyno at the contest. So if you guys are interested in getting on Dale Harder's Top 50 list - get to the contest! You don't have to compete to have a shot at the dyno. There won't be many chances to get on Dale's list, so jump at it while you can.

Speaking of grip dyno numbers...Dave Brown (mega grip strength, and a lot of etc.) told Al Myers that he is going to come out to see him (Al) at the Dino Gym sometime in February...possible that he will attend the Dino Grip Challenge. Not a for sure deal yet. But the possibility is there and I hope he gets to make it. Because Al says Dave's grip is simply phenomenal. His story of someone handing Dave a #3 (before they made them "easy" - not my words) while he and Al rested after a Highland Games tourney is freaking hysterically funny to me. Said Dave had a sandwich in one hand and casually took the gripper in the hand that didn't have the sandwich in it and slammed it shut NO SET. Then switched the sandwich to the other hand and repeated the #3 NO SET slam with the other hand. :mosher Al's not an embellisher. So when he tells me something happened it did. No "fuzzy memory" BS with him.

Most guys are aware that this USAWA grip contest is drug tested. For those that don't know that already, here's your announcement. I'll try to let each competitor know by PM or e-mail.

There could be some ladies there too so there will be a Ladies division if we get at least 2. I think most women are sitting it out because they don't want to be the only one there. Don't let that happen if you know any women who are interested!

There is going to be a Masters Division with a well-known competitor making his grip contest debut. Wilbur Miller - a USAWA legend - a superb deadlifter and Olympic lifter has stated that he might make it. I think that he will but until I hear for sure I consider everyone a possibility.

Al Myers told me that Dale Harder has okayed him to "certify" people on his Baseline grip dyno at the contest. So if you guys are interested in getting on Dale Harder's Top 50 list - get to the contest! You don't have to compete to have a shot at the dyno. There won't be many chances to get on Dale's list, so jump at it while you can.

Speaking of grip dyno numbers...Dave Brown (mega grip strength, and a lot of etc.) told Al Myers that he is going to come out to see him (Al) at the Dino Gym sometime in February...possible that he will attend the Dino Grip Challenge. Not a for sure deal yet. But the possibility is there and I hope he gets to make it. Because Al says Dave's grip is simply phenomenal. His story of someone handing Dave a #3 (before they made them "easy" - not my words) while he and Al rested after a Highland Games tourney is freaking hysterically funny to me. Said Dave had a sandwich in one hand and casually took the gripper in the hand that didn't have the sandwich in it and slammed it shut NO SET. Then switched the sandwich to the other hand and repeated the #3 NO SET slam with the other hand. :mosher Al's not an embellisher. So when he tells me something happened it did. No "fuzzy memory" BS with him.

Can we hand dyno first or do we have to wait until the contest is over?

Travis just told me that a guy he does HG with said Dave Brown bends nails while sitting in traffic :yikes

Can we hand dyno first or do we have to wait until the contest is over?

Travis just told me that a guy he does HG with said Dave Brown bends nails while sitting in traffic :yikes

We can do the dyno any time you want. I told him you'd be pretty interested in getting on that top 50 list! Glad I was right. I'll come right out and admit that my number was pretty embarrassing for someone that just smashed the hardest #3 I've ever closed. I rested long enough after that close so I don't think that was my downfall. Only pulled about 187lbs on it righty. Didn't test lefty because it would've been almost the same I'm sure. I tested it this morning after being awake for a while and I pulled 150lbs because I'm so sore and muscularly trashed from all the stuff we did yesterday.

Dave Brown really is someone I'd love to meet because of all the things I've heard about him! If we get half the people competing that say they're thinking about it we'll have a small cross section of the who's who of the strength world.

I think Al said that Dave holds the world record on the Baseline, but I don't remember if it was Dave's name he actually said was the official record holder. Somewhere around 226lbs though. I have new respect for anything even at the 200lbs mark after my meager squeeze on it! I think I'll pull 200lbs+ the next time I give it a shot at Al's gym though.