#3 Race

JayPierce

I've noticed a few gripsters on the board lately who have just recently closed the #2.5, myself included. I could use some competition to spur me on, so I hereby throw down the gauntlet.

We'll use the MM0 rules, since I'm sure we're all after the MM0 anyway.

Who's in!?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JayPierce

• tchcalvin

• griparrayxp

• thehardway

I barely closed my bbsm last week and now I'm weaker and cant close it. I'm just beginning the KTA so count me in as well!

I'm in! I might be alittle ahead of the pack here(already mm the rb260) but we'll see still havn't been able to mm the coc#3 so I guess I'm qualified :D

Where I'm at:

right handed - 2 reps with 125lb #2.5, 7 reps with 116lb #2

lefty - 1 rep on the 125lb'er, 6 with the #2

How about you guys? (just trying to see how hard I'm gonna have to work to win this thing) :shifty

Yeah I'm a bit behind you Jay... my best day was closing my #2 lefty and getting within a gnat's ass on 2.5 and bbsm. I started with the grippers about a month ago so I am progressing well. Maybe the #3 will fall this year, maybe not.

I'm in too!!!

Also just recently closed my #2.5 for the first time about a month ago.

MMS is right, that's what we all looking for, which was how it was done on the CoC Cert's until mid-2004.

Problem is that I can only do a single on the #2.5 - definately gotta improve on that.

I just have to say that with this many of you in the race, it's going to be a VERY satisfying victory! :tongue

im at 2.5 for 4

righty

havent gotten the 3 without a chocker yet though

im at 2.5 for 4

Dang!!! I need to hurry up!

In other news, I barely missed a lefty attempt at five dimes today. I'm really getting close on this one. Probably need to start recording my attempts.

hey all...........I'm at 5 reps coc#2.5 righty.....0 2.5 for lefty though paper thin from closing, also paper thin from closing coc#3 chocked at 1inch

I'll get in on this one. I will be at a bit of a disadvantage though. I have to order a #2.5 and #3. But, I was a hair away from closing Paul's #3 this morning. I'll "officially" start when I get the #3. I might be too late by then....

Edit: I got Paul's RB 240 this morning to give you guys an idea as to where I am at. Hopefully he will have the vid up soon.

Edited by huntca

I`m some 2-3mm from closing my BBGM(2.84) with my right hand. I`ve never tried to rep my #2,5 but for singles it`s pretty constant. I haven`t closed the #2,5 with my lefty yet...it feels really weird. I guess I`ll have to work with my technique there. about 2mm to go..

I have been closing the 2.5 (overcrush) without chalk for the past week. talk about different feel. I guess I didnt realize how much chalk helped the gripper stay in place. I got down to about 4-5mm, or less, on my #3 two nights ago without chalk. So....long story short, makin some progess. Needless to say, however, I never thought I would even be close to the #3 when I started 5 months ago with the trainer for six reps...lol

Edited by tchcalvin

I do so many things 'wrong' when doing grippers, it's pitiful. I do my gripper workouts at work, during downtime, so attracting attention to myself would be bad. Seated, with minimal chalk (so I don't have white powder all over me), and I can't really put in a ton of effort to get a deep set. Even so, I've made good progress the last couple of months.

My next attempt at the #3 will be at home, after some squats, with lots of chalk, and a good deep set. I'll post a vid of it.

ive been resting my hands, right hand index started to hurt from too much thick bar work, so well see how i do today, first time hitting grippers in weeks

I do so many things 'wrong' when doing grippers, it's pitiful. I do my gripper workouts at work, during downtime, so attracting attention to myself would be bad. Seated, with minimal chalk (so I don't have white powder all over me), and I can't really put in a ton of effort to get a deep set. Even so, I've made good progress the last couple of months.

My next attempt at the #3 will be at home, after some squats, with lots of chalk, and a good deep set. I'll post a vid of it.

Lots of chalk ?

This is worth thinking about.

In my case, I only chalk palm and pinkie and not too much. I have experienced that when my whole hand is chalked and too much, the gripper can slide. Plus, the chalk stay in the knurling of the handles and make them smoother and so subjects to slide in your hand. Make your own experience and see if you find some difference.

Train hard !

I hear ya. There is definitely an 'optimal' amount of chalk to use, and I clean my grippers every now and then to get that greasy chalk out of the knurling.

I really need to work on my set more than anything. I had a real eye opener today while repping the #2. I set it in my left hand and went for it, and got ten reps. I normally only get six, but I guess I just hit a perfect set and it felt really easy. It was as if I needed to just squeeze instead of trying to touch the handles together, if that makes any sense.

Need to go back through the 'how to set a gripper' vids and see if there are any cues I'm missing.

I have found that I like a lot of chalk on my hands. And I like to clean the handles before every workout. I also like to play with the chalk. Meaning, that sometimes I will wet my hand, then barely dry it then chalk it. Sometimes, I will do the opposite, make sure my hands are really dry then chalk them up. Sometimes you just have to play around with it....the chalk that is.

Just my two cents.

I had to dig a bit to find the 'how to' vids. I'll save you the trouble.

For anyone who needs a refresher (like me):

I'm in as well. coc 2.5 for 5 or 6 reps. coc #3 i can only get in a choker. I know I'm close.

Matt

Edited by turbinepro

Plus, the chalk stay in the knurling of the handles and make them smoother and so subjects to slide in your hand.

Just a bit of personal information, I just buy a strong bristled tooth brush, cut half the handle of it off and keep it in my Iron Mind bag that I carry my grippers around in, helps with getting chalk off the knurling in between heavily chalked closes.