Golfer's Elbow?

austinslater

I got elbow pains from a very intense Rolling Thunder program. All the flexors where very tense and pulled on the tendons at the elbow.

The first week I took a week rest. The next week light gym training. Almost every day I massage the flexors to release tension. No more gripwork at this moment. I'm now in week 4 and I feel there are some tight muscle strings in two flexor muscles (triggerpoints). Now I use pressure massage (sometimes with a golf ball) on these strings to release the triggerpoints.

I don't cool or heat the muscle.

The elbow pains are almost gone. If you ignore these pains for to long you can damage a tendon that will have to recover a lot longer.

Edited by Grind
  • Like 1

So I'm getting some nasty tennis elbow pain. I can no longer do curls so I substittuted with drag curls, no pain. Heavy bench 315+ hurts like a bitch and shrugs are all causing me pain. The pain is almost unbearable if I just let go of the bar. So instead I slowly loosen my grip and it's not so bad. If I wrap my forearm tight it's not so bad. Usually takes an entire day to feel better. Has anyone had luck with home rehab? Saw some vids on YT but I don't know where to start. I'm thinking some finger work to start with. Any suggestions?

What do you think has caused your tennis elbow? Have you added something new into your routine?

So I'm getting some nasty tennis elbow pain. I can no longer do curls so I substittuted with drag curls, no pain. Heavy bench 315+ hurts like a bitch and shrugs are all causing me pain. The pain is almost unbearable if I just let go of the bar. So instead I slowly loosen my grip and it's not so bad. If I wrap my forearm tight it's not so bad. Usually takes an entire day to feel better. Has anyone had luck with home rehab? Saw some vids on YT but I don't know where to start. I'm thinking some finger work to start with. Any suggestions?

What do you think has caused your tennis elbow? Have you added something new into your routine?

Haven't been bending nearly as much. I think I need to bend more, much more. Lift a little less.

Armaid is great, I recommend it.

EJ - just squat and bend some golds & KOABS for a week or two.

Edited by JoshW
  • Like 1

only thing that seems to help is rest when it comes to golfers elbow. Had it for almost 2 years trying everything and just training around it really carefully and it eventually goes away. all the rehab stuff, ice, stretching etc didnt seem to help me

hey bro, pain on the outside of the elbow if your palm is facing forward , right? Just making sure because the thread is about golfers elbow (pain on the inside of the elbow) so people might be giving you advice having that in mind.

regardless of inside or outside of the elbow,

you could try (if haven't already)

-finger extensions resisted with bands, I like the hand yoga for the full rom and you can do it in different wrist/elbow positions

- wrist flexibility exercises: stretches static or dynamic ( it helps if you use something like a stick vs pushing directly with your other hand), light wts doing full range of motion as far up/down you can move your wrist

- with a bit heavier wts you can do slow controlled eccentrics again full range of motion

- try loading the wist in any direction with light wts and see if any particular direction feels good/helpful for the elbow

- do you have any exercise bands? those are convinient for light resistance/high reps to get every structure there loosen up/ improve circulation

- self massage or ask a friend to help you out, can use his/her elbow (more upper 3rd of forearm) to apply some pressure along the wrist extensors in the elbow (Starting gentle and going deeper) along the soft tissues. A bit of discomfort is usually ok but it should feel good overall.

you can spend 10-15 min first day and see how you feel during/right after and the next day, try it for a few days and see how your body responds, if needed make adaptations to make the routine feel the most helpful to you. Monitor your symptoms and what you do well if you want to find out what works best for you, otherwise it's easy to forget what you did

these are just some ideas off the top of my head (sorry if a bit repetitive from previous posts) that felt helpful to some people I saw in the past and me personally. But as others mentioned, some times our bodies respond to rehab well sometimes not so well, it's hard to know but these are all safe exercises and it's usually a good idea to try something vs nothing.

edit:

another option is to experiment with doing exactly what you've been doing but lighter workouts (what Josh also mentioned with bending?) and movement modifications, what you probably started doing anyway. But if that doesn't work it's not a bad idea to try a more specialized rehab routine

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos
  • Like 1

hey bro, pain on the outside of the elbow if your palm is facing forward , right? Just making sure because the thread is about golfers elbow (pain on the inside of the elbow) so people might be giving you advice having that in mind.

yes sir on the outside of the arm. didnt see a point in starting a new thread when most things to alleviate the pain can be used for either golf/tennis elbow

regardless of inside or outside of the elbow,

you could try (if haven't already)

-finger extensions resisted with bands, I like the hand yoga for the full rom and you can do it in different wrist/elbow positions

- wrist flexibility exercises: stretches static or dynamic ( it helps if you use something like a stick vs pushing directly with your other hand), light wts doing full range of motion as far up/down you can move your wrist

- with a bit heavier wts you can do slow controlled eccentrics again full range of motion

- try loading the wist in any direction with light wts and see if any particular direction feels good/helpful for the elbow

- do you have any exercise bands? those are convinient for light resistance/high reps to get every structure there loosen up/ improve circulation

- self massage or ask a friend to help you out, can use his/her elbow (more upper 3rd of forearm) to apply some pressure along the wrist extensors in the elbow (Starting gentle and going deeper) along the soft tissues. A bit of discomfort is usually ok but it should feel good overall.

you can spend 10-15 min first day and see how you feel during/right after and the next day, try it for a few days and see how your body responds, if needed make adaptations to make the routine feel the most helpful to you. Monitor your symptoms and what you do well if you want to find out what works best for you, otherwise it's easy to forget what you did

these are just some ideas off the top of my head (sorry if a bit repetitive from previous posts) that felt helpful to some people I saw in the past and me personally. But as others mentioned, some times our bodies respond to rehab well sometimes not so well, it's hard to know but these are all safe exercises and it's usually a good idea to try something vs nothing.

edit:

another option is to experiment with doing exactly what you've been doing but lighter workouts (what Josh also mentioned with bending?) and movement modifications, what you probably started doing anyway. But if that doesn't work it's not a bad idea to try a more specialized rehab routine

great advice. i will start on it today. thank you for taking the time. i am convinced its from lack of bending. yesterday i had a pretty heavy bending session and my arms feel great, no pain at all. and that isnt "normal"

• Like 1