1 Hand Barbell Cleans

RogerSteffens

Is anyone familiar with the technique for this ? The normal way I do dumbbell cleans is with palm facing me. But to use this approach with a barbell requires that you duck under the barbell which I'm a little afraid to try with a 135lb barbell. On the other hand, facing palm away is like a curling motion and doesn't feel right, even though it avoids the need to duck under.

I do it with palm facing me. I don't see how it could be done any other way. I really like this exercise.

Edited by JeffPeterson

I have seen some very good One Hand Clean & Jerks with barbells done in the U.K. single arm contests. If my memory serves me right 100k by Mohammed Butt. Anyway, I've only seen them use the supinated grip (underhand grip), and after a period of training and competing on this event I can vouch for it's effectiveness. I recently sent a lot of info on this, and one hand swings to Chris James. My best one hand clean with an olympic barbell is 90k and jerk with 70k, once again using a barbell. By the way, you don't curl the bar, but pull, then dip under. There are some good sequence pictures of Grimek in 'Weightlifting' by Hoffman.

David

I recently sent a lot of info on this, and one hand swings to Chris James.

David

Is it feasible to make this information available to everyone? Or at least those interested?

Jason

Yes I'd like to meet Matt.

Jason,

It was sections from books and magazines. Sorry, I haven't got the time to type it up.

David

Roger,

I have seen the lift performed with both style grips but as David pointed out, the majority of the lifters in the IAWA use a supinated or underhand grip. An overhand grip takes more flexibility and balance even if it is brought to rest on both shoulders like in a two hand clean. Since IAWA rules do not allow the bar to touch on the opposite side of the sternum of the lifting arm, the underhand grip is easier for most people. You would need short, flexible forearms to rack the bar on one shoulder with an overhand grip so it depends on what type of mechanical advantages you have.

At the grip contest Matt Graham cleaned 195 lbs. with one hand on a 2" bar using the supinated style. I just got the photo's back a couple days ago and they turned out pretty good. Most people cannot deadlift that much with one hand. One of the other competitors, Bob Burtzloff, did a one hand clean and jerk with 253 lbs. on an olympic bar at a competition years ago. He used the overhand grip for this lift.

• Like 1

Those of you who have the December 1954 issue of

Lifting News magazine, see page 8, where a photo of

Armand Tanny from 1951 is included with this caption:

"Armand Tanny, performs one of the greatest feats of our time with a one hand clean of over 300 lbs. performed three years ago in California."

Armand used supinated grip, right handed.

David,

The lift that I mentioned by Bob Burtzloff was actually done in England at the IAWA worlds many years ago.

What was even more remarkable was that after he jerked the weight, he then tossed it from his right to left hand while overhead and lowered the weight with the opposite hand. Even though I've known Bob for about 24 years and am familiar with his strength levels, I could hardly believe it until I spoke with some of the witnesses. If you ask Frank Allen (IAWA president), Mike Archer or some of the other older British all-rounders they will tell you what they saw!!

Bob is now 46 years od but still benches 500 and Dl's almost 700 raw. He did some impressive anvil cleans after the grip contest this year.

I do them every once in a while to shake things up. The funny thing for me is right handed, I have to shift my hand slightly (about 1 inch) to the left of center, left handed must be perfectly in the center of the bar. I've done 160 lbs with either hand. My form ( well I'll call it that for lack of a better term) is a kind of snatch/side press combo. I'd not call it a C & J. I rip it up to about a foot over my head, then dip under it & kind of half side press to lock out. A lot of fun to watch people's expressions when you're doing them.

I do them every once in a while to shake things up. The funny thing for me is right handed, I have to shift my hand slightly (about 1 inch) to the left of center, left handed must be perfectly in the center of the bar. I've done 160 lbs with either hand. My form ( well I'll call it that for lack of a better term) is a kind of snatch/side press combo. I'd not call it a C & J. I rip it up to about a foot over my head, then dip under it & kind of half side press to lock out. A lot of fun to watch people's expressions when you're doing them.

• 17 years later...
On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2002 at 10:21 AM, Kevin Fulton said:

Roger,

I have seen the lift performed with both style grips but as David pointed out, the majority of the lifters in the IAWA use a supinated or underhand grip. An overhand grip takes more flexibility and balance even if it is brought to rest on both shoulders like in a two hand clean. Since IAWA rules do not allow the bar to touch on the opposite side of the sternum of the lifting arm, the underhand grip is easier for most people. You would need short, flexible forearms to rack the bar on one shoulder with an overhand grip so it depends on what type of mechanical advantages you have.

At the grip contest Matt Graham cleaned 195 lbs. with one hand on a 2" bar using the supinated style. I just got the photo's back a couple days ago and they turned out pretty good. Most people cannot deadlift that much with one hand. One of the other competitors, Bob Burtzloff, did a one hand clean and jerk with 253 lbs. on an olympic bar at a competition years ago. He used the overhand grip for this lift.

I can't find the thread, but I know someone recently mentioned Bob Burtzloff's one hand C&J ability.  Here is a very cool video of 200+ that I bet most haven't seen. 

• Like 1

bob-burtzloff-1armcj.jpg?w=640

A cool picture from the USAWA website (written by Al Myers) of a 231lb one arm clean and jerk.  Bob was a 500+ bencher and 700+ deadlifter too. 

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2002 at 11:04 AM, Kevin Fulton said:

David,

The lift that I mentioned by Bob Burtzloff was actually done in England at the IAWA worlds many years ago.

What was even more remarkable was that after he jerked the weight, he then tossed it from his right to left hand while overhead and lowered the weight with the opposite hand. Even though I've known Bob for about 24 years and am familiar with his strength levels, I could hardly believe it until I spoke with some of the witnesses. If you ask Frank Allen (IAWA president), Mike Archer or some of the other older British all-rounders they will tell you what they saw!!

Bob is now 46 years od but still benches 500 and Dl's almost 700 raw. He did some impressive anvil cleans after the grip contest this year.

Another very impressive detail about Bob Burtzloff's strength and ability.  Tossing the loaded barbell from hand to hand.  I think it was 100kg.