Recovery?

Guest 2DOGZ

Guest 2DOGZ

I am pretty new to the grip game, and I've found that my hands are awfully sore after training (seems to take about 4 - 5 days to recover) What sort of recovery techniques do you people use?

Also, I am beginning to practice a Chinese martial art called "Iron Palm". One it the components is that before and after training one coats and massages their hands with a special Chinese liniment (dit da jow) to help speed recovery, among other claims.  Is any one familiar with it?

2Dogz,

Welcome. Yes soreness after training your grip is common.  Folks here use different recovery methods.  I like to put my hands in cold water after a real hard grip workout, usually for a couple of minutes, the alternate between hot and cold.  Seems to help.

As for Iron Palm.   GO SLOW!  Rome was not built in a day and neither will your ability to slap break a cement paver.  

Common rule of thumb is it will take about 100 days of consistent hand striking before you are getting to the level required to start thinking about breaking bricks.  Mark the days you toughen your hands on the calendar, you may not be training as often as you think. When you hit your 100th session, IF you have been consitent then you can start to think about breaking bricks.

As for the Dit da jow, some folks swear buy it, other think it is nothing special. Personally I think a lot of it is in your head.  Lastly, Dit da jow veries greatly depending on who is making it, how it was made, strored and bottled.

Just like with the grippers persistence and patient pay off with Iron Palm.

Good luck

Bob

Guest Gordon Cooper

I would caution people to think about the implications of having a (yang) Iron Palm. There is a risk of heart attack, nerve damage to the hand, not to mention the accompanying disfigurement associated with Iron Palm.

If you go the Yin Iron Palm route, you can drop your hand on a concrete patio block and break the block just as well, without the damage risks.

As stated, Dit Da Jow varies by manufacturer. Hopefully,  you are getting it from your sifu to avoid any of the occasionally toxic substances that might be introduced by an incautious commercial operation.

In either case, find a good instructor and have at it.

Guest Gordon Cooper

Thanks Tuna.  I'd like to think that we are all in healthy training for the forms, lifting feat, grappling and breaking demos on our 90th birthdays.

Why think small?

I agree with Tuna and Gordon however if you go slowly enough, ie years rather than days it will be a much safer process that hopefully wont end in serious damage.  I've spent a while stricking gravel filled bags, it will affect your other hand workouts.  As for recovery, heat before, cold after, and a little, light gripping each day.

Could someone explain a little bit more on what exactly Iron Palm is and how we can practice it?  I had read something about it (and Iron Body or something like that) in the past, and was interested, but never researched it much farther.  

Also, some more info on Dit Da Jow would be appreciated.  How is it made?  What does it do specifically?

Yang Iron palm? Yin Iron palm?  Differences?

Thank you,

Michael Falkov

Guest 2DOGZ

You were asking about Iron Palm and Dit Da Jo... Well, I've been doing EXTENSIVE research on it and I feel I've got a pretty good idea of what's what… Here is my take.  

Iron palm is one of those things that is so simple you have to wonder why so many books are written about it (I have about 6 in my library, and another 2 video tapes) I mean it's like reading/writing about meditation (clear your mind and think about nothing, Duh... how do I get more information on that????) That said, there are a number of subtle points within the practice that I wouldn't want to give too much information here, other than to say look @ www.wle.com it's a kung fu school that produce a video on this training which, after careful comparison, I believe is the best information on the market. It's a little expensive but, if you’re interested, it's worth it.

As far as Dit Da Jaw is concerned, I bought a few bottles from WLE.com, it's pretty stinky stuff... and, for all I know, it's probably just in my head... (Nonetheless, the Chinese have been doing some WEIRED health things for hundreds - thousands of years they must be doing something right) Any ways, I have a recipe that looks pretty good... it's in Chinese (Cantonese) so, obviously, I can't write it down here.. The problem with translation of Cantonese to English is that it's not standardized, and it gets rather confusing... I’ve made up a bottle of it, but it takes 3 – 4 months to mature, so I haven’t used it yet… If you would like a copy of this I could scan it and e-mail it to you... it's up to you.

2DOGZ thank you for the info.  Please send that recipe  if you don't mind to theirongame@hotmail.com

If it isnt too much trouble, I would appreciate you keeping the file size down as I don't have much space there.

Also, what books do you have/ would you recommend  about Iron Palm?

BTW, that link takes me to a blank page.  Could you double check the URL?  Might just be something wrong with my browser though.

Thanks again,

Michael Falkov

(Edited by Quick Grip at 6:33 pm on Mar. 20, 2001)