? For The Nail Benders In The Uk

Beev

Hey folks.

After a bit of pondering for while, Ive decided I want to have a blast at nail bending. As im from the UK, the cheapest I have seen for stock is the Ironmin Bg O Nails, which is £85! I know that it would be a good start if I am aiming to certify (I know that is years away and may not even happen!), but I dont really want to spend £85 just to end up with a bunch of half bent white nails an greens I cant even kink.

So as a beginner to the world of nail bending, where will I find some cheap stock in the UK? I have seen some nails that are roughly the equivalent of the 60 penny nail in B&Q, but they are not really a beginning nail are they? These are the ones I mean

So any advice would be useful. I noticed some rods in B&Q, but they were only aluminium, which I am assuming would be alot easier to bend than a rod made from cold rolled steel. So alhough it may be useful to start with the aluminium while I practice the techniques of bending, its not going to be much of a challenge really is it?

Thanks in advance.

Yours,

Beev

I'll let more knowledgeable people than me answer the question about steel in the UK, but if you DO go down the route of importing steel then get the banders bagt from FBBC, more steel, cheaper, cheaper shipping and you'll be supporting John Beatty-gripboard sponsor and one heck of a nice guy.

Your best bet is to find a local steel supplier.

Failing that, I ordered some 3/16 and 7/32 stock from here a while back, which would probably be about right for getting started and learning the techniques:

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Chronos...l_EN1A_283.html

For what it is it's relatively expensive, but cheaper than getting IM stock. Once you've got the technique sorted you'll find 60d aren't too hard, and can start getting those in bulk.

Thanks for the info noob saibot.

So the 3/16 and 7/32 stock you linked to, are they similar to the white and green nails in terms of strength? And am I right in thinking that on the site the cost of each length is per foot?

Thanks again.

Yours,

Beev

Oh, and twig, yes that looks like a much better deal as far as stock goes. Ill definitely look into that. If I go with the FBBC stock, which would be the best bending wraps to order? Ive seen that David Horne sells bending wraps on his site, would it be simpler to just order them from him?

Thanks in advance.

Yours,

Beev

I wouldn't know about the IM nails to be honest, I've never tried them. The white and green nails are both 3/16" aren't they? Yeah they come in 12" lengths, so you can cut various lengths.

If you decide to get an FBBC bender's bag, including wraps probably won't affect the shipping. If you decide not to import, shipping will obviously be cheaper on David's wraps, I have some and they are nice.

Yeah thats right so yeah it should be pretty much the same strength. I might start out with some 8-9 inch lengths just to build a base of strength while learning the technique.

And by the way, Thanks for the original link! Im just waiting till the end of the month for my wages to come in then im ordering :). If I order a third size (harder than 5/16 but possibly weaker than the 60D) from that site what would be the best size to get? Apologies if my question seems stupid but im really poor when it comes to the imperial measurements!

Yours,

Beev

Edited by Beev

Just realised im getting my sizes mixed up here. Apologies for the mix up. I plan to order he following:

3/16 x 10 feet

7/32 x 10 feet

Is there any other size that I should order before tackling the 6mm (like the one second link you posted) round stock? And finally, what would the 6mm stock equate to in imperial size, I ask because Im considering just getting the whole lot from the first link, and as I have already said I have no idea about converting the metric to imperial measurements.

Thanks for your time.

Yours,

Beev

Well, 6mm is actually about halfway between 7/32 and 1/4". The difference wouldn't be that great though, I would think you can vary the difficulty enough just by cutting progressively shorter lengths. 1/4" is 6.35mm, the conversion factor is 25.4.

Cheers for the feedback.

I think im going to order the whole lot in one go. Im going to go for the following sizes:

3/16 (this is the same diameter as the IM White and Green Nails)

7/32

1/4 (this is the same diameter as the IM Yellow and Blue Nails)

9/32

5/16 (this the same diameter as the IM Red Nail)

Im probably going to get about 10 feet of each length, maybe 15 for the 3/16 and 7/32. Looking forward to it now :). Im hoping to progress from 7, down to 5 inches in each of them, the first few anyway :) Wish me luck! Thanks again.

Yours,

Beev

Edited by Beev