Huge Hands.

Guest Russell Latterman

Guest Russell Latterman

This was discussed a bit on another post, but not in a great detail.  I've noticed that my hands have become bigger from grip training.  There are tons off small muscles that bulge out when I make a fist.  I know that the muscles are supposed to grow, but can the bones actually grow also?  Since the fingers are such small bones, IGF-1 (the hormone that causes bones to grow) can easily cause a growth affect It doesn't take long for it to get into the thin bones.  Grip training probably causes a release of IGF-1 to the hands to recover from the stress.  People that do huge amounts of labor with their hands seem to have huge hands.  The muscles are bigger and their bones structure seems to be bigger also.  My idea is that more work=more release of IGF-1.  If there is a high enough concetration, then the bones will grow along with the muscles.  If this theory is true, then it will only work for people who do a huge volume of grip work.  Has anyone else noticed people with bigger than normal hands from doing high volume grip workouts or manual labor?  I'm sure there are some people on this board like this.

My hands have definetely gotten thicker, and more dense from hand training.  My right hand is stronger than my left, and it is also a bit thicker.  Not really noticable unless you look closely, but there is a difference.  I don't think they have gotten any longer though.

Michael Falkov

• 2 months later...
Guest kINGPIN

I am starting to notice that my hands are getting a little thicker these days.  Strength wise they have gone up considerably but as for thickness and aesthetics I never realised that would happen.  I have always had scawney long hands but now I am proud of them.  

I tihink that your hands do grow slightly wider and thicker as you use them (ie. get older). Since becoming involved in grip work I have started to study peoples hands and wrists, and a large proportion of older men that I have shaken hands with have larger hands than younger men. I imagine doing a high volume of grip work (whether specific or manual labour-type) would only speed that process.

Chris McCarthy

Guest ThickSkin

Have you ever thought that the reason people that do a lot of labor have bigger muscles and bone structure is because most of the smaller people that can't handle everyday hardwork just do something else. I'm not saying them people can't get strong they just can't handle the workload that some people can.

Guest kINGPIN

I agree with that Thickskin.  Most people who do manual labour are born strong and not made strong by the work they do.  All the work will do to them is make them stronger.

Guest Daniel J

I have been training my grip (not just fooling around) for about three months now and I have gone up 1.5 ring sizes from the LAST time I got my ring sized. Soon I will have hands the size of those mafia henchmen on movies. ...and one day my biceps will respond to being worked in the same way as my hand. One day!

Guest CalvinP

Of course! Working your hands will make it bigger. No matter how you are built. One of the profession that involves heavy use of hands definitely is the shrimp fishing. I had seen many of those guys who're skinny, yet! They have very big and thickened hands. They've told me they 'd pick up two fresh shrimps (finger size or bigger) with the thumbs and the index fingers of 2 hands, then with one motion they 'd pop the head clear from the body, throw them behind then repeat it again. Sometime they 'd do it for hours, approaching several thousands shrimp per person everyday. AS an amateur arm-wrestler I found out the hard way that those shrimpers are very strong in the forearms.