Finally

Guest JD79

I know its small potatoes to most on the board but I finally managed to get my Old #2 to click.  I even ground the handles.  I haven't been working the grippers much so this came as a surprise.  I gave the #3 a squeeze, and holy cow that thing is a monster!  Its going to take awhile but I'll get there.  Best of luck to everyone.

JD

Congrats on the #2 and Good Luck on the #3!

Thanks guys.  I've been working on the #2 on and off for about 2 years now.  It was slow but worth it.  I can't wait to show my Dad.  He told me my hands were too small to ever shut that thing.  Boy is he in for a shock!

JD

Nice shot. I have close the #2 five reps staight out of the bag an I'm now doing seven reps (after two weeks). I'm now going to order the #3 and work hard to become certified. Keep this thing in mind, #2 is a big piece of stell and 99% of trainers can't close it. You can be proud of what you did.

p.s. : my father is quite strong and can't close the #1. You should have seen his face when I crushed it for 30 reps !

Congratulations JD, the older number 2’s are said to be the same as the Master, and you are definitely on the way to the #3.  I think you gave everyone a very subtle lesson your post, basically, that you haven’t been working the grippers so this came as a surprise.  It doesn’t surprise me because I know you’ve been working hard with the Turk.  I’ve noticed a similar story to yours when people first close a particular gripper.  Hard work, good “active” rest and BAMM, it’s closed!

Yes Mr. Black you are right.  As we have discussed earlier I like to concentrate my efforts on a single goal.  I feel that I can put my best effort forth this way.  I had been doing strapholds with the BB #1 and 15 or so pounds.  Then I took a break and started concentrated on the Turk.  I just decided to give the grippers a try because I felt "in the mood."  I was only able to shut it once but it was very easy that first time.  Like I have said before, I have  a real lack of endurance strength in my hands and am usually only good for one real strong attempt.  I also find that my carryover strength between my crushing and supporting strength is high.  I don't find it correlates as well to my pinch grip though.  Another thing that helps is the mental game.  If I can lift more on the Turk than before then I know I'm stronger and I believe that I'm stronger.  As Mr. Black and many others have shown us, alot of grip strength is mental.  You must believe that you can do it first.  I had been working on the #2 for so long that I had almost given up.  Luckily I found this board, incorporated some of the techniques, and finally allowed myself to believe that I could do it.  One last thing, when my dad tried the #2 he came within 3/4 of inch of closing it with no training.  He has huge powerful hands and lucky me, I was blessed with little hands (darn genetics).  Dad say my struggles and kindly told me that my hands were just too small.  Well a little motivation like this goes a long way.  He also told me the same thing regarding the #3 so look out, hehehehe.

JD

Guest AghastGrip

JD- I've always found that having small to average hands is an advantage to closing the grippers. I've let people try them who have very large hands, and they couldn't budge them, while someone with smaller hands could get them a lot closer. Who knows though?

I have small hands (7 inches) and I'm closing the #2 easyly. One of ny friend is a very strong guy with 9 inches hands and he can't close the #1. However, people like Joe Kinney and Richard Sorin have enormous hands and their crushing strength is out of this world. I think hand size is not a factor of hand strength. Technique is the key.

Guest AghastGrip

Tou- Yeah, you're probably right. I imagine it depends on the person, and their training experience and perhaps genetic makeup of muscle and tendons.