The Steel Slayers' Top 20 and Junior Steel Slayer Bending Lists

EricMilfeld

Nice bend Mike, it's just the start for your reverse. You will be in the 400's before you know it.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EricMilfeld

• jpmmkrahling

• bencrush

• Tim71

Congrats Mike! :mosher

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations, Darin Heltemes, on a very fine reverse bend! His 7" piece of W1 drill rod hit 410 pounds.

Congratulations, Darin Heltemes, on a very fine reverse bend! His 7" piece of W1 drill rod hit 410 pounds.

Sweet, thanks Eric!

Nice Job Darin, you are makinga statement lately. Keep it up

Thanks Mike! I can't let you get too far ahead of me :D

Very nice Darin! :mosher

• 4 weeks later...

It's great to have Mike Hadland back in the bending game! He's staked a claim on the number three spot with a 565 pound piece of 3/8" x 7" crs. Well done, Booyah!

• 2 weeks later...

The 6" Freestyle list is updated with the results of The Arizona Cactus Grip Shootout 3. New to the list is Paul Knight, Tim Struse, Aaron Corcorran, Jaime Britton, Brandon Azevedo, Ian Gilespy, and Steve Callahan. Congratulations, guys!

Tim, if you could find out Andy's last name I will add him, as well.

Very nice bends guys! Congratulations to all!

Awesome Bending Guys!!!!! and what a serious Bend Paul!!! Congrats :rock

• 3 weeks later...

I added a rule governing how calibration ratings for ranking purposes on the lists are to be attained for nails and bolts. It's at the bottom of the lists page.

Darin Heltemes used IM pads to take down a 480 pound piece of drill rod to grab a spot on the 7" list. Congratulations!

Darin Heltemes used IM pads to take down a 480 pound piece of drill rod to grab a spot on the 7" list. Congratulations!

Thanks Eric!

I added a rule governing how calibration ratings for ranking purposes on the lists are to be attained for nails and bolts. It's at the bottom of the lists page.

I like this idea alot. Because it's only natural that when a bender is chasing after a better bend. He might pick up some grade 5 or whatever and attempt it over and over until he gets it. Chances are then that he might hit an easier bolt or nail.

This idea gives a better chance to more accuratly calibrate the same exact bend that was bent.

Worst case scenbario is when a bender gets a lower calibration then what he bent. Fine, he can just as easily do another bend and improve his spot.

But when it's the other way around and a bender gets a higher calibration than what he bent, then the whole list looses it's point. Wich is why I asked to have my bend removed. The numbers you calibrated for me where just to high for me to beilive it. And after when I experienced a quite wide varyation within my batch I realized that I had probably sent you the harder bars.

Wouldn't it make more sense to take an average over the three bolts? If you always took the lowest calibration, the numbers would still be skewed, whereas an average would result in less error.

Wouldn't it make more sense to take an average over the three bolts? If you always took the lowest calibration, the numbers would still be skewed, whereas an average would result in less error.

I think David did a good job of explaining my reasoning. For me I would feel better about being credited with a 600 bend that was actually 610 than the other way around. I'm pretty sure anyone ranking below me on the list would feel the same way. It's just one of the consequences we have to put up with when it comes to something like nails and bolts, which vary so much. By the way, I've been applying this rule for my own spike bends. For example, the 80D I did last night for the new Hard Eight list came from a batch for which I got three calibrations: 485, 485 again, and 475. Pretty consistent results for spikes! But I took credit for 475. Now it's still possible the bar I actually bent was something like 465. It's not likely, but possible. But requiring that we calibrate more than three seems a bit excessive, especially since we are taking the lowest of the three readings.

I think David did a good job of explaining my reasoning. For me I would feel better about being credited with a 600 bend that was actually 610 than the other way around. I'm pretty sure anyone ranking below me on the list would feel the same way. It's just one of the consequences we have to put up with when it comes to something like nails and bolts, which vary so much. By the way, I've been applying this rule for my own spike bends. For example, the 80D I did last night for the new Hard Eight list came from a batch for which I got three calibrations: 485, 485 again, and 475. Pretty consistent results for spikes! But I took credit for 475. Now it's still possible the bar I actually bent was something like 465. It's not likely, but possible. But requiring that we calibrate more than three seems a bit excessive, especially since we are taking the lowest of the three readings.

Got ya :D Sounds fair enough to me.

• 1 month later...

Congratulations to Carl Donati Jr. for conquering the 6" grade 8 freestyle! His hit 465.

• 1 month later...

Just saw this Carl good Job! My trusted Red Nail Judge!