The Steel Slayers' Top 20 and Junior Steel Slayer Bending Lists

EricMilfeld

I just want it to be known that, in order to keep the combined weight of the Garage Crew at a respectable number, I have taken it upon myself to gain every pound that Paul and Eric have lost.

-Rex

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EricMilfeld

• jpmmkrahling

• bencrush

• Tim71

I bent a piece of leftover stock from The Show of Hands Grip Cup 2007: a 6" section of 70D nail that calibrates at 670. Since dropping weight from over 200 pounds down to sub 185 I've noticed a significant drop in crushing strength, but I've maintained most of my kinking ability. Now I need to locate something between this bar and a big 6" grade 5, as this one took only about a 95% effort on the crush. You'll notice in the video that after getting one half of the bar wrapped Sandy has to inform me that I failed to measure the length of the bar. :laugh And she insisted I bend without my shirt on since I'm so sexy since losing most of my flab.

Great bend Eric, you made the kink look easy.

Thanks, everybody!

I just updated the 7" list with a 555lb. bend I did this afternoon. This is a good example of why calibrating is important. The 590 bolt Paul did last night is a triangle grade 5 purchased from the same hardware store that I purchased my 555 triangle bolt from. I noticed by searching through the bin that some were 7 1/16" while others were 7 3/16" and 35 pounds easier.

This bend was close to a max effort for a sub 3 minute effort. I can do the tougher Edgins, but they are taking me about 10 minutes. My goal is to get one of the tougher variety at the contest next month in the 3 minute time limit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biuCPeRx-CU

Wow, I go on vacation and now the list started to grow. I will get my 7" posted this weekend. It is only good enough for 3rd place but its better then not being on the list.

Great job guys, i'm glad to see the list moving along with some high quality bends.

Wow, I go on vacation and now the list started to grow. I will get my 7" posted this weekend. It is only good enough for 3rd place but its better then not being on the list.

Great job guys, i'm glad to see the list moving along with some high quality bends.

Mike, what are you gonna bend? Or is it top secret? :D Regardless, destroy it!

Are the IM and FBBC steels only acknowledged for this list or is, for example, metric bolts, bars, rebars, etc. too?

Mike, what are you gonna bend? Or is it top secret? :D Regardless, destroy it!

Actually it is a 525 lb hexabastard. I missed it by a little bit so i need to work on my crush in these leather wraps. They really seem to give too much. I'll get it in the next couple of days. Are these hex's really harder than crushing stainless? I crushed that 530 stainless easier then this hex. Either way 525 is nothing spectacular but it will get me on the list for now.

Oh yeah, i was going to do a Shiny bastard but it calibrated at 440, so i did not think it was worth it to put that on the list. (Must have been part of those easy shiny's people were wondering about)

Are the IM and FBBC steels only acknowledged for this list or is, for example, metric bolts, bars, rebars, etc. too?

I believe anything can be used as long as it's calibrated by Eric.

Actually, it may be calibrated by anyone using a device that would yield the same results. So, if anyone is interested in getting started let me know.

Mike, I've never come a across a non-stainless hex more difficult than a stainless of the same calibration rating. Are you sure the hex isn't stainless?

David, thank you! I look forward to trying to catch you. :D

Actually, it may be calibrated by anyone using a device that would yield the same results. So, if anyone is interested in getting started let me know.

Mike, I've never come a across a non-stainless hex more difficult than a stainless of the same calibration rating. Are you sure the hex isn't stainless?

Eric he is comparing 5/16 Round Stainless which he cald at 440 compared to the CRS hex which hit 525

Eric he is comparing 5/16 Round Stainless which he cald at 440 compared to the CRS hex which hit 525

But he said he crushed the 530 stainless easier than he crushed the 525 hex.

But he said he crushed the 530 stainless easier than he crushed the 525 hex.

Yea he told me the same.Im gonna try a hex tomorrow and see how the crush feels compared to a shiny.Well that is if i can get the damn thing kinked .........

Yeah, i am comparing the 530 stainless to the 525 hex. And the hex had a harder crush. Maybe it was an off day, i don't know. But both were real close to my max crushing with leather wraps from FBBC. (IMO the leather has too much give to it on the crush) The stainless i put to about 2-3/16" and then i finished it with crush pads. (I know i can not use them for the comp but i'm still in training). Then when i tried the hex about a week later, i got that to 2-5/16" and then the crush pads put it to 2-3/16". The only way i finished it was using crush pads but when i tried to do the crush sideways like David Wigren, my elbow hit my thigh and that gave me the help i needed to finish it, so it did not even count because it was actually braced for the finish. So that is how i came to the opinion that the hex may be a bit tougher then a shiney to crush. Atleast i finished the shiney with crush pads. This was just me asking the question because it was the first hex i ever bent. No big deal, i'll just kill the hex in a couple of days anyway.

Oh yeah, i was going to do a Shiny bastard but it calibrated at 440, so i did not think it was worth it to put that on the list. (Must have been part of those easy shiny's people were wondering about)

holy cow! never heard of stainless calibrating so low!?!?! that's even easier than some reds! .... you sure you cal'ed it right? ... if so that's nuts!

holy cow! never heard of stainless calibrating so low!?!?! that's even easier than some reds! .... you sure you cal'ed it right? ... if so that's nuts!

Yeah, i actually did it 2 times because the first pc i started at 490 and it bend to about 45 degrees right away. But this explains why i did a 6" shiny real easy (about 1:15) and it took me over 3 min to do a 6" golden (and i barely got that because my hands went numb on the crush). The shiny's i was bending were lower then my bastards, goldens & hex's. So basically i had a false sense of accomplishment. But now i can follow a better progression using calibrated stock so that should not be a problem anymore.

Paul, I have 1 more pc from that batch. if you want, i can bring it to the comp so you can try it? Let me know

I finally bent one of those more difficult Edgins in under 3 minutes to tie Paul. :D I'm trying to upload the video onto Youtube right now, but am experiencing some technical difficulty.

Here's my 590 lb. bolt video:

Great job Eric. This list really makes it interesting now that we know exactly what we are all bending. And a 590 bolt is no joke :rock

Yeah, i actually did it 2 times because the first pc i started at 490 and it bend to about 45 degrees right away. But this explains why i did a 6" shiny real easy (about 1:15) and it took me over 3 min to do a 6" golden (and i barely got that because my hands went numb on the crush). The shiny's i was bending were lower then my bastards, goldens & hex's. So basically i had a false sense of accomplishment. But now i can follow a better progression using calibrated stock so that should not be a problem anymore.

Paul, I have 1 more pc from that batch. if you want, i can bring it to the comp so you can try it? Let me know

Sure I'll try it .. maybe cut down a little :devil

awesome job Eric! game on! :rock

I just modified/clarified rule #5. I think you guys will appreciate this. Basically, you can improve upon your own cert bends in 5 pound increments, but as before, you must beat another bender's bend by at least 20 pounds. Your bend of, say, 15 pounds more than my bend which was performed first would make a tie. Also, on this new list it will be possible for bender's to share a number ranking by bending the same calibration rating on different dates.

The rules are seen in the first post of this thread.

Great bends guys keep it up! Can't wait to see the list filled up.