Bodyweight Deadlift On New Rolling Thunder Handle

Hubgeezer

Nice work by Mr. Sundin. He is one strong, determined guy. I hope he takes a ride and visits again on June 26th for Summer Strong#3. A good grip day is brewing for a contest, certifications and "throw down" challenges. RS

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hubgeezer

• Malice

• IROC-Z

• odin

malice, thanks! Yes, 150 now. The hack, thanks for your input. I think I may start doing max weight 10-15 rep sets. Anyone else have any insight as far as RT training goes?

New Model IronMind Rolling Thunder Attempt: 205 in Plates (app. 212 lbs. total wt.)

at a BW of app. 176 lbs.

RTnew205inplates.jpg

My best single with the brand new model is 192.5 in plates. The handle plus the olympic loading pin adds a few more pounds, but my best "new handle" lift was still shy of the 200 mark.

This is as good as any I have seen. Very good job! And, with a hand size under 7.75 inches!

You are the King! :mosher:mosher:rock:rock:bow:bow:D:):cool:cool

Darn! I don't want to stop posting here, as it has been fun.

Thanks Hubgeezer! I realized that I didn't have a video of the lift I mentioned, so I did some Rolling Thunder work today to see if I could get some evidence of a +BW lift on the new handle. I weighed in @ app.176 lbs. today at the time of the lift, have lost a little weight due to a right shoulder injury.

I saw you compete in the 2009 GGC (online) and admired your competitive spirit and heart. You would beat me on grippers and hubs for sure, so don't crown me in any way yet, maybe we can compete someday. Oh, and also...I failed to do more than float Wade's RT with "only" 190 in plates about 2 and 1/2 months ago at the GGC GG shortly after the lift I mentioned in the previous post. Even the new handles can very a little, I'm sure, as I doubt I've gotten that much stronger in that little time-unless the sledge levering has helped me somehow.

Nice work by Mr. Sundin. He is one strong, determined guy. I hope he takes a ride and visits again on June 26th for Summer Strong#3. A good grip day is brewing for a contest, certifications and "throw down" challenges. RS

Thanks Richard, I really appreciate your comment, that means a lot to me coming from you! I hope to make it to Summer Strong #3! Advance Happy Birthday, by the way!

Excellent lift, Bob!

30+ lbs. over bodyweight on the new handle is amazing. I agree with Hubgeezer - you are the current "king" of the RT!

Congrats!

That kicks ass, Bob! Congratulations!

Awesome pull Bob! You put a lot of the monsters to shame with your normal handsize and bodyweight and huge lifts.

holy cow! .. awesome lift Bob!

Excellent lift, Bob!

30+ lbs. over bodyweight on the new handle is amazing. I agree with Hubgeezer - you are the current "king" of the RT!

Congrats!

Thanks Todd! I may be king of my back yard...I'm sure you can lift a lot more than me on the same handle.

:yikes Amazing lift!!

Thanks Malice!

That kicks ass, Bob! Congratulations!

Thank you Eric! I can hope to be nearly as well-rounded as you one day.

Awesome pull Bob! You put a lot of the monsters to shame with your normal handsize and bodyweight and huge lifts.

Thanks Ben, I really appreciate that. I am trying to address my weaknesses and hope to improve, maybe the levering helped my new RT lifts go up.

holy cow! .. awesome lift Bob!

Thanks Paul! I wish I could train with you and the crew from DFW, looks like a blast. I feel pretty unpolished and raw and could learn a lot from you.

Crazy impressive Bob!

Crazy impressive Bob!

That means a lot to me, especially considering the many great things you've accomplished, thanks Heath!

Congrats !! Great lift !! :mosher

Thanks Joefrey!

235 in Plates (app. 242 lbs. total wt.) IronMind Rolling Thunder Attempt: older, seasoned handle

I missed 215 in plates on the new handle (actually had more air last week), so I decided to switch handles and see where I was with the old, seasoned handle. I guess the levering work I've been doing is helping after all.

I also got 213 on the axle 1HDL to ~knee-high and pretty close w/218. I did this after the RT work, figuring if I got close to what I did in training for Gripmas, my RT gains on the new handle were less likely to be illusory (due to seasoning). I did as well or better than I did fresh for the axle 1HDL in the past.

218+axle+att+5-29-10.jpg218

213+axle+att+5-29-10.jpg213

Very impressive Bob! :bow

I'll join the race to 160 if it's still going.

I'm still in for the race to 160 with ya.

I haven't specifically been working RT since I started KTA but my hands felt good after the KTA workout I just finished so I decided to see if I've gained on RT. Last time I managed 137.5 and I just pulled 147.5 and couldn't get 150 so that's a nice increase of 10lbs. I'm happy with that. I'm looking forward to being able to start working RT consistently when KTA is done but I'll give it a shot once a week after my rest day until then.

Thanks Mike, Perry and Ben!

Ben, have you been doing any more GTG work on the RT? Wasn't it you that was lifting the RT whenever you walked past it in your house?

Old+%26+New+RT.jpg

Here's a still comparing 205 in plates on the new-style handle with 235 in plates on the old, seasoned handle, done a week apart.

Just finished an impromptu RT workout. I didn't plan on doing it but I got home from work and looked at the RT sitting there with a hundred pounds on it and decided to do a couple pulls. Hands felt good so I just kept adding 10 lbs. at a time and ended up lifting 157.5 lefty (only a couple inches of air righty), which is a PR by 10 lbs. I only managed to get about an inch of air with 160 lefty and couldn't budge it righty. This is with a new handle by the way (only a month old).

Granted, I know with a 8.25" hand and weighing 235 I should probably be able to lift a lot more on RT but I haven't trained it much and am in the middle of KTA right now so I'm very happy with this. Plus I've only been working grip stuff for about 2 and a half months. Maybe I'll actually meet my goal of 175 by the end of the year after all :whistel

I tried a few attempts with 160 (not including the weight of the rolling thunder) yesterday and the best I could was about 1" of air with both hands.

• 3 months later...

Got a PR on RT today...just a little one but a PR none the less and since I haven't trained it since I last posted in this thread that's pretty good. I decided to post it here cuz I plan on training RT consistently every week now so hopefully my PR's will keep going up. Anyway, I got 160 (face value of the plates only) which totaled 167 and change when I loaded the whole thing on the scale with weight, pin, carabiner and handle attached. Then I dropped down to just under 90% of the new PR and banged out reps. It felt good and I got a nice little pump in the forearms. My goal for this year is 175 lbs. so I'm happy that I'm not as far away as I thought.

How's everyone else doing with their RT training? Has everyone but me already lifted their bodyweight or just lost interest in this thread? :whistel

Got a PR on RT today...just a little one but a PR none the less and since I haven't trained it since I last posted in this thread that's pretty good. I decided to post it here cuz I plan on training RT consistently every week now so hopefully my PR's will keep going up. Anyway, I got 160 (face value of the plates only) which totaled 167 and change when I loaded the whole thing on the scale with weight, pin, carabiner and handle attached. Then I dropped down to just under 90% of the new PR and banged out reps. It felt good and I got a nice little pump in the forearms. My goal for this year is 175 lbs. so I'm happy that I'm not as far away as I thought.

How's everyone else doing with their RT training? Has everyone but me already lifted their bodyweight or just lost interest in this thread? :whistel

Congrats on the new PR. :rock

I'm in the process of building some strength back up on the RT after taking quite a few months off due to injury. Hoping to see this thread continue on!