Bodyweight Deadlift On New Rolling Thunder Handle

Hubgeezer

I haven't kept up with this but wouldn't mark Felix doing 301 lb. at 294 bodyweight be by far the "best" most weight lifted plus heaviest bodyweight?.I am glad they put that extra pound on to break the 300 barrier. RS

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hubgeezer

• Malice

• IROC-Z

• odin

I haven't kept up with this but wouldn't mark Felix doing 301 lb. at 294 bodyweight be by far the "best" most weight lifted plus heaviest bodyweight?.I am glad they put that extra pound on to break the 300 barrier. RS

Richard, Chad did the same weight at around 265 pounds bodyweight, so I think he's got Felix beat by quite a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8leuq37l9o

Richard, Chad did the same weight at around 265 pounds bodyweight, so I think he's got Felix beat by quite a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8leuq37l9o

That is really huge.

Richard, originally, this thread was talking about the "new" Rolling Thunder handle, which was much tougher than the "old" one. Then we found out that the "new" version I was talking about was only made for a few months, and then there was a "third" version that came out right before the 2009 Arnold. We seem to think that the "third" version is not that much tougher than the first one. However, Mark's 301 World Record was on the "original" first version.

Whew! It is hard to follow.

Did another pull on the RT tonight, matched Saturday's pull of 181.8, but was a bit spent from benching and other grip stuff so I had a hard time controlling the descent. Probably good for a little more when fresh, but unfortunately my body weight seems to be going in the same direction, so I'm not gaining ground on this challenge...

Brent C.

Did another pull on the RT tonight, matched Saturday's pull of 181.8, but was a bit spent from benching and other grip stuff so I had a hard time controlling the descent. Probably good for a little more when fresh, but unfortunately my body weight seems to be going in the same direction, so I'm not gaining ground on this challenge...

Brent C.

Great pull Brent!

• 2 weeks later...
I suppose we now have:

Version I - 1993-2008, some variability from product to product, gets easier over time.

Version II- Late 2008 to early 2009, extremely difficult, limited number of them out there, never will know much about them, variability, etc.

Version III- Early 2009 on, "somewhere in between" Version I and Version II in difficulty, probably closer to Version I. Unknown as to variability, unknown as to the effect of "seasoning", wear and tear, age, etc.

Weighed 210 this morning. This evening pulled 187 easily on Version II.

Put 190 on. Pulled it super solid, long hold.

Put 192 on. Pulled it solid, legal hold.

18 pound spread Version II.

Have not trained Rolling Thunder in months. Missed 180 in plates (186 total Version I) at the Nationals in September in the Medley, and the RT was the first thing I tried. Got home, in later September, failed at 181 for the first time in over 4 years on Version I. Did not touch it for months.

Today, 186 Version I felt light as a feather, so I put 206 on. Weighed 204 this morning. Got it 80% up. Tried it again and got it over 90% up (some would have given it a White Light). Put 196 on teflon-style Version II. Got it up 50%.

I should have asked for Version III for Christmas...no question I am going to get bodyweight on it if I start training again on it.

Today, I sent my Version II back to IronMind and hopefully I am going to get a free Version III back from them.

Got my FREE Version III recently. It definitely holds chalk. Pulled 187 at a bodyweight of 208. Then pulled 196 on my old Rolling Thunder. The new handle is definitely harder than Version I, and definitely easier than Version II. My guess is that it is 2-5% harder than the original Rolling Thunder, depending on the person. I think Mark Felix will eventually break his own record (301) on this style of handle.

It really is a nice piece of equipment.

Now that I have an RT, I can truly appreciate a 187 lb lift. Nice work. I'm starting a new thread regarding training with the RT, looking for info on what training approach to improve the lift. Feel free to pitch in!

Brent.

• 2 months later...
I suppose we now have:

Version I - 1993-2008, some variability from product to product, gets easier over time.

Version II- Late 2008 to early 2009, extremely difficult, limited number of them out there, never will know much about them, variability, etc.

Version III- Early 2009 on, "somewhere in between" Version I and Version II in difficulty, probably closer to Version I. Unknown as to variability, unknown as to the effect of "seasoning", wear and tear, age, etc.

Weighed 210 this morning. This evening pulled 187 easily on Version II.

Put 190 on. Pulled it super solid, long hold.

Put 192 on. Pulled it solid, legal hold.

18 pound spread Version II.

Have not trained Rolling Thunder in months. Missed 180 in plates (186 total Version I) at the Nationals in September in the Medley, and the RT was the first thing I tried. Got home, in later September, failed at 181 for the first time in over 4 years on Version I. Did not touch it for months.

Today, 186 Version I felt light as a feather, so I put 206 on. Weighed 204 this morning. Got it 80% up. Tried it again and got it over 90% up (some would have given it a White Light). Put 196 on teflon-style Version II. Got it up 50%.

I should have asked for Version III for Christmas...no question I am going to get bodyweight on it if I start training again on it.

Today, I sent my Version II back to IronMind and hopefully I am going to get a free Version III back from them.

Got my FREE Version III recently. It definitely holds chalk. Pulled 187 at a bodyweight of 208. Then pulled 196 on my old Rolling Thunder. The new handle is definitely harder than Version I, and definitely easier than Version II. My guess is that it is 2-5% harder than the original Rolling Thunder, depending on the person. I think Mark Felix will eventually break his own record (301) on this style of handle.

It really is a nice piece of equipment.

Back on my Version III Rolling Thunder, The New One, got 190 today at the bodyweight of 210. My goal is to do over 200 at a bodyweight of under 200 on the New Version. I have not weighed under 200 since 1989 so that might be the hardest part :tongue

• 2 weeks later...

I can see that this thread is getting boring to some of you, but I got another PR on Version III of the Rollin Thunder today, 192 at a bodyweight of 210. I had 195 about 90% up. The 192 was very solid so I thought I had a lot more in me. A pound or two on that device can make a big difference when you are close to your max.

Steve Gardener already won this contest without knowing he entered it, but I want to be the first under 200 in bodyweight to do over 200 on Version III. It's still a ways off.

If someone has already done that (under 200 to do over 200) chime in so you can get congratulated.

Guest Bullitt

I can see that this thread is getting boring to some of you, but I got another PR on Version III of the Rollin Thunder today, 192 at a bodyweight of 210. I had 195 about 90% up. The 192 was very solid so I thought I had a lot more in me. A pound or two on that device can make a big difference when you are close to your max.

Steve Gardener already won this contest without knowing he entered it, but I want to be the first under 200 in bodyweight to do over 200 on Version III. It's still a ways off.

If someone has already done that (under 200 to do over 200) chime in so you can get congratulated.

Nice job Mike. Sounds like the 200 pull is coming soon. Time to start working on the 210 piece of the puzzle. :tongue

I tried the rolling thunder deadlift for the first time the other day. At 195 I pulled 200 easily after 3 hours of armwrestling practice. I didnt know this was a lot until someone else told me. Let's see how it works out when I'm fresh next week.

I'm in for the race, but at 190 and currently at 142.5 on the new RT handle I'm probably in last place....I'll get to bodyweight some day!

I'm in for the race, but at 190 and currently at 142.5 on the new RT handle I'm probably in last place....I'll get to bodyweight some day!

I'll challenge you for last place Dan :mosher

I currently weigh 235 and am lifting 130 on the RT (that's all I can fit on my loading pin cuz all I have are a bunch of 10's) and don't know how much, if anything more I can lift on it. I just started finally using it last week and plan on picking up some 25's so I can load more weight on it so hopefully my numbers will go up.

I tried the rolling thunder deadlift for the first time the other day. At 195 I pulled 200 easily after 3 hours of armwrestling practice. I didnt know this was a lot until someone else told me. Let's see how it works out when I'm fresh next week.

Okay, you may be the Winner.

Question: how old is the Rolling Thunder? If it was purchased prior to 2009, then it is an "old" handle. If it was purchased after 2008, it is a "new" style handle. I am not sure of the exact date, but it was late 2008 when the change occured.

Even if it is an old, beat up used handle, pulling bodyweight is very impressive :rock . Keep us informed.

I was looking on YouTube and found this.

old handle, but Bobs getting 60lbs over bodyweight.

I was looking on YouTube and found this.

old handle, but Bobs getting 60lbs over bodyweight.

Thanks Dan, but as you know the older handles that have been used a fair amount are often much easier.

My best single with the brand new model is 192.5 in plates. The handle plus the olympic loading pin adds a few more pounds, but my best "new handle" lift was still shy of the 200 mark.

I've been focusing on the Inch, 2HP and levering lately, but will make another run with the new handle when I get the urge.

Keep working at it, there are a few good threads on training techniques you might want to search for.

My best single with the brand new model is 192.5 in plates. The handle plus the olympic loading pin adds a few more pounds, but my best "new handle" lift was still shy of the 200 mark.

This is as good as any I have seen. Very good job! And, with a hand size under 7.75 inches!

You are the King! :mosher:mosher:rock:rock:bow:bow:D:):cool:cool

Darn! I don't want to stop posting here, as it has been fun.

What kind of workouts do you guys do with the RT? High reps, max singles? How often do you train with it? Noob questions I know but I'm a noob with RT. I'd really like to hit at least 150 on the RT this year if not 175 and I'm only at 137.5 right now.

I'm new to the RT as well, but I have been training once a week. I alternate max lifts one week, and max weight timed holds the next. I only use 30 seconds because it seemed like a good number. I'm interested as well what other people are doing!

Question for guys that have trained RT for a while. Did you see significant gains early? I went up 7.5 lbs from last week and wonder if this is typical when you first start. Thanks in advance!

Question for guys that have trained RT for a while. Did you see significant gains early? I went up 7.5 lbs from last week and wonder if this is typical when you first start. Thanks in advance!

Nice gain. So you're at 150 now?

3months ago i bought RT and lift 70kg at first. Before i trained on homemade rolling handle which was half inch thinner, so i was not newbie.

I continued to train on me old principle- every 4 days 1 set toward 20 rep and 1 with low reps-about 5-7.5kg more, with other grip exercises after, but RT was first in schedule.

Month ago i changed on every day RT after every days squats. In this principle i would not have warm up sets,there were no changing weight, it is always standing same. I would just after squats lift 1rep for adjustment, rest and do 1set only, aswell toward 20 reps. When i lift 20times with that weight i increase 1kg and do the same.

Difference btw 1kg could be even 10 reps, when you reach 15 reps then only good day is waited and you will surpass 20.

Reps are touch and go( with firm stop but without fixing hand) untill goes, after that untill goes with fixing hand in each rep, no rest more then 1sec btw reps, just so you fix grip.

Few days ago i lifted 85kg(187).

First principle worked very well but i felt that it was time to swap routine.

From mine experience with homemade rolling handle i made two conclusions:

holding for time is not working and 15-20 reps are bringing best results.

Edited by The Hack