Bodyweight Deadlift On New Rolling Thunder Handle

Hubgeezer

EH BUDDEH!! FOR DA QUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!!!!

lol you seriously gotta start saying that in your videos...

absolutely insane lift buddy.. go for the new WR!!!!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hubgeezer

• Malice

• IROC-Z

• odin

Alas the new handle went home with Sam. But I am training on my two for a while yet. Let's see what happens ;)

Alas the new handle went home with Sam. But I am training on my two for a while yet. Let's see what happens ;)

It won't be long til i'm back at your gym again for another session. 2 weeks or so hopefully. Be ready to pull 130kg for queen and country. :rock:rock

Guest Bullitt

It won't be long til i'm back at your gym again for another session. 2 weeks or so hopefully. Be ready to pull 130kg for queen and country. :rock:rock

What did you pull Sam?

I received my "new" RT handle from Ironmind this past Friday. I gave it a try this afternoon, and let me tell you - it's quite a bit tougher than the "old" model. The handle is very slick, and it spins a little bit easier than the old handle. I'm currently pulling 255 on my old handle, and I just barely got 220 on the new handle. I'm hoping that maybe it's just a matter of getting used to the feel of it, but I guess time will tell.

I was amazed at Mobster's 275 lb. pull, but after giving the "new" handle a try for myself, I'm even more impressed with that pull. The open-hand strength required to accomplish a feat like that is off the charts.

Guest Bullitt
I received my "new" RT handle from Ironmind this past Friday. I gave it a try this afternoon, and let me tell you - it's quite a bit tougher than the "old" model. The handle is very slick, and it spins a little bit easier than the old handle. I'm currently pulling 255 on my old handle, and I just barely got 220 on the new handle. I'm hoping that maybe it's just a matter of getting used to the feel of it, but I guess time will tell.

I was amazed at Mobster's 275 lb. pull, but after giving the "new" handle a try for myself, I'm even more impressed with that pull. The open-hand strength required to accomplish a feat like that is off the charts.

Awesome pull for your first try on the new handle Todd. Once that gets seasoned, I bet you will be much closer to old handle numbers. :rock

I suppose we now have:

Version I - 1993-2008, some variability from product to product, gets easier over time.

Version II- Late 2008 to early 2009, extremely difficult, limited number of them out there, never will know much about them, variability, etc.

Version III- Early 2009 on, "somewhere in between" Version I and Version II in difficulty, probably closer to Version I. Unknown as to variability, unknown as to the effect of "seasoning", wear and tear, age, etc.

We know quite a lot about Version I. I had 3 different handles of them over the years, and tried around 7 of them. One abused one that Clay Edgin had barely spun, and when I was a 175lb RT puller, I did 200 on his. To me, it was the equivalent of a Foot Stomped Gripper, and did not "count" as a RT.

It sounds like Version III holds chalk, which was a matter of opinion on Version I, and definitely not the case on Version II.

All that being said, I think what I am getting from this is that Steve Gardener is one of the best Rolling Thunder guys in the world right now. It was new, it spun freely, and it was a big ass weight.

About 10 years ago, a fellow in his 50s at the time, PJ Couvillion, was featured in MILO when he became a Captain of Crush. It said that he weighed 180 and could do 220 or 225 on the RT. That was always my idea of the best pound-for-pound RT lift I ever heard of. Particularly when he said his back got "blown up pretty bad in Vietnam" (or very similar words to that effect).

My purpose in the thread originally was about Version II, because I didn't even know Version III existed. But regardless of which version being used, when someone "over 250" pulls bodyweight on any version, that is just flat out remarkable!

Keep posting guys, this is great. But it appears that Gardener has the Bragging Rights.

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious. Has anybody ever pulled bodyweight on a 2.5" Crusher?

The new handle is vastly nicer than the old one from a mechanical standpoint and really beautiful. Big Rich does about the same with any old or new. He hauled up 267 training last night on the new handle and held it for a "down" signal with not much of a problem. I still have one of the first production run rolling thunders from when they came out about 15 years ago. When grit, dirt, chalk, or general gym goo gets under the handle I think the action would be affected as with any moving part implement.If the

"rollling" is abated by trash lodged in the handle we change the lift totally and loose what the item was "intended to do". I guess cleaning from time to time might be a prudent thing to get accurate results for ascertaining our grip merit.RS

The new handle is vastly nicer than the old one from a mechanical standpoint and really beautiful. Big Rich does about the same with any old or new. He hauled up 267 training last night on the new handle and held it for a "down" signal with not much of a problem. I still have one of the first production run rolling thunders from when they came out about 15 years ago. When grit, dirt, chalk, or general gym goo gets under the handle I think the action would be affected as with any moving part implement.If the

"rollling" is abated by trash lodged in the handle we change the lift totally and loose what the item was "intended to do". I guess cleaning from time to time might be a prudent thing to get accurate results for ascertaining our grip merit.RS

Richard,

do you know of a good way to clean the handle? .. possibly submerging it in some kind of solution? seems it would be a challenge to get inbetween the "roller". Just wandering if you knew of an eclectic way of doing this. Thanks in advance

Air hose and patience seems to be the way to go. You could also grease/oil it. But that the rules have required (for setting a record) a new handle regardless of model is a question of expense.

As good as I have been on any model I've touched needing to buy a new one to set a record is an expensive way to prove one self.

The new version is the best (and yes I know I would say that pulling what I have) allowing chalk to help the grip but spinning far more freely.

As for keeping it clean: use and abuse an old one (drop it, whack it, train hard on it) then bring out the super version now and again as a tester.

I think I can get the same 280lbs I pulled at Chad's event again around xmas time.

Richard,

do you know of a good way to clean the handle? .. possibly submerging it in some kind of solution? seems it would be a challenge to get inbetween the "roller". Just wandering if you knew of an eclectic way of doing this. Thanks in advance

I ran Meguiars medium cut cleaner in there, hooked it to something solid, and kept rotating the handle back and forth while keeping pressure on it, working on a new section for about 5 minutes at a time. Then, I rinsed it out with dish detergent and water, and oiled it with 3-in-1. That worked really well for me.

I suppose we now have:

Version I - 1993-2008, some variability from product to product, gets easier over time.

Version II- Late 2008 to early 2009, extremely difficult, limited number of them out there, never will know much about them, variability, etc.

Version III- Early 2009 on, "somewhere in between" Version I and Version II in difficulty, probably closer to Version I. Unknown as to variability, unknown as to the effect of "seasoning", wear and tear, age, etc.

Weighed 210 this morning. This evening pulled 187 easily on Version II.

Put 190 on. Pulled it super solid, long hold.

Put 192 on. Pulled it solid, legal hold.

18 pound spread Version II.

Other than using high intensity radioactivity I think Magnus might have the plan. I have washed mine out with a bottle of alcohol before( sure works on Blobs too) and if the heat wouldn't destroy the handle a douse in a dishwasher might prove interesting.RS

I blow mine out with the air hose on a regular basis - it seems to help keep it spinning freely.

• 3 months later...
I suppose we now have:

Have not trained Rolling Thunder in months. Missed 180 in plates (186 total Version I) at the Nationals in September in the Medley, and the RT was the first thing I tried. Got home, in later September, failed at 181 for the first time in over 4 years on Version I. Did not touch it for months.

Today, 186 Version I felt light as a feather, so I put 206 on. Weighed 204 this morning. Got it 80% up. Tried it again and got it over 90% up (some would have given it a White Light). Put 196 on teflon-style Version II. Got it up 50%.

I should have asked for Version III for Christmas...no question I am going to get bodyweight on it if I start training again on it.

Guest Bullitt
I suppose we now have:

Have not trained Rolling Thunder in months. Missed 180 in plates (186 total Version I) at the Nationals in September in the Medley, and the RT was the first thing I tried. Got home, in later September, failed at 181 for the first time in over 4 years on Version I. Did not touch it for months.

Today, 186 Version I felt light as a feather, so I put 206 on. Weighed 204 this morning. Got it 80% up. Tried it again and got it over 90% up (some would have given it a White Light). Put 196 on teflon-style Version II. Got it up 50%.

I should have asked for Version III for Christmas...no question I am going to get bodyweight on it if I start training again on it.

Great job Mike! :mosher

good going buddy do we have to change your name ??? thundergeezer w00t.giftongue.gifw00t.giftongue.gifw00t.giftongue.gifinnocent.gif

Just curious. Has anybody ever pulled bodyweight on a 2.5" Crusher?

the 2.5 crusher last time I used it felt much tougher than the old rolling thunder.

on the old Rolling thunder ive done 160 + lbs ( hit bodyweight when I was 150 lbs, old handle)

and on the 2.5 Crusher 128 lbs last I triedm, so is there anyone out there that did bodyweight on the 2.5 crusher, that would be quite a feat!

• 4 weeks later...

Just got a brand new RT in the mail yesterday. Made a 15" loading pin and gave it a spin today. Maxed out at 181.8 lbs. Pin+RT handle and clip: 11.8 pounds. Add 3X45, 1X25 and 1X10 plates for 181.8.

I'd like to join the race, but at a BW of 235.7 lbs, it would seem I am doomed to lose... Probably easier to lose weight!

Brent C.

Guest Bullitt

Just got a brand new RT in the mail yesterday. Made a 15" loading pin and gave it a spin today. Maxed out at 181.8 lbs. Pin+RT handle and clip: 11.8 pounds. Add 3X45, 1X25 and 1X10 plates for 181.8.

I'd like to join the race, but at a BW of 235.7 lbs, it would seem I am doomed to lose... Probably easier to lose weight!

Brent C.

That's a big pull for your first time on an RT Brent!!! :laugh

Thanks guys, I was really happy with that. Been using a fatbell regularly for the past 6 weeks, I think it helped. I'm really excited to get training with the RT. Played with it for about half an hour today. Amazing how when your grip gives up, it just gives up. Should be able to build a bit more stamina up.

Also got a new #2 and #3 grippers, so I'm well set up for now.

Brent C.

I suppose we now have:

Today, I sent my Version II back to IronMind and hopefully I am going to get a free Version III back from them.