Bodyweight Deadlift On New Rolling Thunder Handle

Hubgeezer

what is the reason, to change a competition-tool?

only a good business for ironmind?

I was not crazy about the change. I had gotten up to 216 on an "old handle", then the implement changed. And, as I mentioned, could not even lock out 167 on the new one.

The original implement was very popular, but it was not what you would call a finely built quality piece of equipment.

The new Rolling Thunder really is nice piece of equipment, and it is well constructed. Does it train your strength better? No. It is like having leather seats in a car instead of cloth ones.

The PVC models had tremendous variability. For example, I think every person "PR'd" on the Rolling Thunder at Chad's competition. I think the consensus was that particular handle was, for whatever reason, one that helped them pull big numbers. I think that the variability of the new handles will not have nearly as much variabilty as the old ones did.

Was it good business for IronMind? Absolutely. Did I like it when they did it? Absolutely not. Have I adapted? Yes. I had 3 old handles, and sold two of them to young guys on the board, cheap. The way I look at it, everybody wins.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hubgeezer

• Malice

• IROC-Z

• odin

Todd Coenen (Iroc-Z) posted a few weeks ago a 248lb RT deadlift. Not sure if that was new or old handle and I'm pretty sure that was bodyweight or more. Looked easy for him. I gotta get me one of those toys. :D

How different is the new RT from the 2" crusher that John sells?

I did that pull on an old handle. I haven't tried a new handle, but I will order one this weekend and give it a go. My bodyweight fluctuates between 220 and 225.

I have a couple of 2" Crushers, and for me they are much harder than the old Rolling Thunder. I think my max pull on them is around 230.

There were two different materials used when the new handle got developed. Geezr - after Randy watched for a day at the FitExpo he realized the slick Teflon was changing the lift to be more of a wrist test - even my 8.5 inch hands were not big enough to get past the slick surface. The handle material changed by the Arnold and it is much easier. The new handle is far better than the old one.

There were two different materials used when the new handle got developed. Geezr - after Randy watched for a day at the FitExpo he realized the slick Teflon was changing the lift to be more of a wrist test - even my 8.5 inch hands were not big enough to get past the slick surface. The handle material changed by the Arnold and it is much easier. The new handle is far better than the old one.

I agree :rock I have the current new handle and it is A LOT better than the one IM had out earlier this year. Much bigger lifts on this new handle.

so, does that mean that there are 3 versions of the handle? and old one, a new one, and a newer one?

brent

If there are two versions of the new one - were/are they both being sold? Seems like some thorough testing should have been done by athletes before sending the product to market. I don't own a Rolling Thunder (yet) but from the sound of it I wouldn't want to get some old stock of the first new handle.

so, does that mean that there are 3 versions of the handle? and old one, a new one, and a newer one?

brent

The one IM has now to buy is the current version. They do not have 3 versions to buy...only the current one that is very solid IMO.

There is Good News and Bad News to this.

The Bad News is that I am going to have to buy yet another Rolling Thunder handle. :(

The Good News is that I may win the race to pull bodyweight. :rock Then again, I am not going to rush ot to buy the thing, so it is anyone's race.

I wish I had a new handle, I'd work toward this. :D

At 160# I think I will get a body weight lift eventually. Maybe I should start by working toward 160 on my old handle first :blush

I just ordered the new RT today. I'm anxious to see how it compares to the old handle!

I just ordered the new RT today. I'm anxious to see how it compares to the old handle!

Don't forget the vbar buddy. ;)

It's on its way...........along with a 2.5" Crusher and a 4x gripper! :rock

For me it is very close. I have been training reps lately and like Sam says, it holds chalk well so for me it is easier to do reps than an old handle. Max effort I still have to give the nod to the old handle especially if it had a few miles on it.

Hubgeezer, I wasn't going to buy a new handle, but you're tempting me.

Wade, that was interesting re: the changes in the handle, thanks.

For me it is very close. I have been training reps lately and like Sam says, it holds chalk well so for me it is easier to do reps than an old handle. Max effort I still have to give the nod to the old handle especially if it had a few miles on it.

Sounds like a slightly different technique is required for the new handle. Now I'm real anxious to give it a try! Thanks for the info.

I would like to know the time frames the New and NEWER IM rolling thunder handles were sent out.. I have two in the same time frame and if there was a problem and then all of a sudden a new handle MATERIAL comes out I feel like..as a customer having spent good money on these handles...i deserve atleast an update on the products. This is the first time I've heard anything about hte potential of having a different type of lifting apparatus.

I would like to know the time frames the New and NEWER IM rolling thunder handles were sent out.. I have two in the same time frame and if there was a problem and then all of a sudden a new handle MATERIAL comes out I feel like..as a customer having spent good money on these handles...i deserve atleast an update on the products. This is the first time I've heard anything about hte potential of having a different type of lifting apparatus.

Based on Wade's comments, it appears that the handle would have been changed after January, 2009. So, March? April? There is an article on the Rolling Thunder in today's IronMind News.

Everybody is always changing their products. Sometimes for the bettter, sometimes not.

Based on Wade's comments, it appears that the handle would have been changed after January, 2009. So, March? April? There is an article on the Rolling Thunder in today's IronMind News.

Everybody is always changing their products. Sometimes for the bettter, sometimes not.

buddy you said it all

Everybody is always changing their products. why ? rolling thunder ironmind hub ? the first products were quality pieces " answer " money everyone trains on one style then someone says wow this is harder then everyone runs out and gets the newer one . thats what i think but who cares good luck on your body weight lift you can do it on the old and the new :D

I received the first prototype right around Thanksgiving of 2008. We used it in our annual Festivus contest in my dad's garage on Thanksgiving day. I've mentioned this on the board before - we were all down at least 100 pounds on this handle compared to a well seasoned old style handle. This was the super slippery model. We used this model in late January 2009 for the GNC Grip Gauntlet at the FitExpo (Geezer was there). A couple weeks after that I received a new model that was slightly reworked - end caps were rounded instead of sharp - and the handle material had changed to what it currently is today. We used this model for the GNC Grip Gauntlet at the Arnold in early March. As far as I know the only difference between the handle we used at the Arnold and what you are buying today is slighly more gap between the plastic sleeve and the end caps because repeated dropping of the handle was causing the caps to come in slightly and the sleeve to bind. You will know if you got a slippery one - there is no mistaking it. Also if the end caps are sharp on the outside and not rounded you have one of the earlier models of the new model which may be the slippery sleeve and may be the new sleeve. I would just contact IronMind to ask them whether or not a replacement handle can be sent. I have no idea what their policy is on this. I really like the super slipery handle that I recieved. I use it for wrist curls on a cable machine - really hits the fingers and rotates better than the newest ones.

Wade

Guest Bullitt

Not sure what Steve is tipping the scales at right now, but this race might be over...

From his log...

RT

Worked to an unofficial WR (I think 271 is the best on a new version) 275.3lbs / 124.90kg using a new version RT handle. Video:

Guest Bullitt
Not sure what Steve is tipping the scales at right now, but this race might be over...

From his log...

RT

Worked to an unofficial WR (I think 271 is the best on a new version) 275.3lbs / 124.90kg using a new version RT handle. Video:

Steve weighed 270 when he did this. Sick.

From his log...

RT

WOW

Cheers guys. My bodyweight is, as many will know from my log, way down on it's usual 280lbs. I've been as heavy as 296.7lbs (last xmas but then I was very ill and lost loads xmas week) but seem to be 270lbs more or less all the time these last few weeks. So apparently without even being aware of it I did a bodyweight+ RT lift on the new handle.

what is the reason, to change a competition-tool?

only a good business for ironmind?

I was not crazy about the change. I had gotten up to 216 on an "old handle", then the implement changed. And, as I mentioned, could not even lock out 167 on the new one.

The original implement was very popular, but it was not what you would call a finely built quality piece of equipment.

The new Rolling Thunder really is nice piece of equipment, and it is well constructed. Does it train your strength better? No. It is like having leather seats in a car instead of cloth ones.

The PVC models had tremendous variability. For example, I think every person "PR'd" on the Rolling Thunder at Chad's competition. I think the consensus was that particular handle was, for whatever reason, one that helped them pull big numbers. I think that the variability of the new handles will not have nearly as much variabilty as the old ones did.

Was it good business for IronMind? Absolutely. Did I like it when they did it? Absolutely not. Have I adapted? Yes. I had 3 old handles, and sold two of them to young guys on the board, cheap. The way I look at it, everybody wins.

I did a practise pull of 280 on Chad's ''seasoned'' RT handle (way less seasoned than my old handle which I've hit a total of 330lbs once and once only on). I also did the medley weight on a new handle easily. Sam's is a new, new one. It takes chalk well on the handle itself but spins very freely indeed. It has the curved ends Wade mentions.