Bodyweight Deadlift On New Rolling Thunder Handle

Hubgeezer

Pulling your bodyweight on the old Rolling Thunder handle was quite a challenge. With the newer version, it will be tougher.

In January, at the Fit Expo in Los Angeles, with Randy Strossen, Wade Gillingham, and Odd Haugen watching, I did not lock out 167 on the new style handle. I don't think I had failed at anything under 190 in years on the old version, had done over 200 in competition, and had a garage PR of 216. Very embarassing, humiliating, awful, horrible. At the time I weighed 237.

Last night I came closer to locking out 187 than I did 167 less than 4 months ago. I now weigh under 220.

I am hoping to pull 202 on the new handle at the weight of 202 in another 4 months.

Has anyone here pulled their bodyweight on the new version of Rolling Thunder? Wanna race?

Only reward is Bragging Rights. Or maybe there is already someone who can brag about it?

Hbgzr

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hubgeezer

• Malice

• IROC-Z

• odin

that's great if you do it. if i pull my body weight on a rolling thunder i'd break the record by quite a bit of poundage lol

I will be glad to try. I have to see if I can get my hands on a new rolling thunder, maybe Paul or Eric has one. . .

I'll try at Chad's comp. Last time I tried on Paul's I can't remember where I was at, 145 or something.

Hbgzr

I dont have a RT old or new, but i do have a trainer i made up, i think it works very well and is sized the same can i get in on the body weight race? i'm 240 now. here are three pics of it if you care to see.

rico

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=8835

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=8834

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=8692

• 2 months later...
In January, at the Fit Expo in Los Angeles, with Randy Strossen, Wade Gillingham, and Odd Haugen watching, I did not lock out 167 on the new style handle... Very embarassing, humiliating, awful, horrible. At the time I weighed 237.

Last night I came closer to locking out 187 than I did 167 less than 4 months ago. I now weigh under 220.

I am hoping to pull 202 on the new handle at the weight of 202 in another 4 months.

Okay, it's been 3 months. I FINALLY locked out 187 last night. Did it at the weight of 210.

So, in January, I had a 70 pound spread/difference between my weight and the new Rolling Thunder (237 v 167)

In May, the spread was 38 pounds (220 v 182)

Last night the spread was 23 pounds (210 v 187)

I don't think I am going to make my 202 v 202 4 month goal that I had 3 months ago, but I am making progress towards it. :cool

I am sure there are some "under 200 pound guys" that can do this, right? :rolleyes:bow Let's hear from you! :rock

205@295 for me on the new style handle. No chance of ever doing a BW pull.

Good luck Mike you can do it!

I've never used a rolling thunder, but I have confidence that if I were to get my hands on one I could give it a good go.

I weigh about 147lbs right now and on a good day I can deadlift in the 460lb range, I have eight inch hands and grip is never an issue for me with Olympic size bars, but I don't know how I would do with a thick bar. Still I think that I could pull 150 on an RT with just a couple months of practice.

I've never used a rolling thunder, but I have confidence that if I were to get my hands on one I could give it a good go.

I weigh about 147lbs right now and on a good day I can deadlift in the 460lb range, I have eight inch hands and grip is never an issue for me with Olympic size bars, but I don't know how I would do with a thick bar. Still I think that I could pull 150 on an RT with just a couple months of practice.

That's a heck of a hand for your bodyweight! You should pull 150lbs in your sleep with an 8" hand.

That's the thing, I have large bones (8 in hand, 7 1/2 wrists) which I think helps me have a good foundation and pretty good strength for my size. I bench 315x2, dead 460+, and squat 505x1, I have been able to continually add strength since high school without a lot of trouble, but now I think I need to figure out the best way to pack on size. I think if I could put on even 40lbs of muscle to be at 185lb I would be able to increase my strength a lot.

That's the thing, I have large bones (8 in hand, 7 1/2 wrists) which I think helps me have a good foundation and pretty good strength for my size. I bench 315x2, dead 460+, and squat 505x1, I have been able to continually add strength since high school without a lot of trouble, but now I think I need to figure out the best way to pack on size. I think if I could put on even 40lbs of muscle to be at 185lb I would be able to increase my strength a lot.

Jeez man those are huge numbers for your BW. thats a more than 3x BW DL, almost 3.5x BW squat, and more than 2x BW bench. Very Nice!

- Aaron

Guest Bullitt

Todd Coenen (Iroc-Z) posted a few weeks ago a 248lb RT deadlift. Not sure if that was new or old handle and I'm pretty sure that was bodyweight or more. Looked easy for him. I gotta get me one of those toys. :D

How different is the new RT from the 2" crusher that John sells?

Todd Coenen (Iroc-Z) posted a few weeks ago a 248lb RT deadlift. Not sure if that was new or old handle and I'm pretty sure that was bodyweight or more. Looked easy for him. I gotta get me one of those toys. :D

How different is the new RT from the 2" crusher that John sells?

The Crusher is better in every way in my opinion. Its just different. the handle material on the crusher is steel, on the old RT it was painted PVC that was slick. the new RT is some kinda slippery Teflon crap.

- Aaron

Jsmiley those are crazy numbers for your weight. Have you ever considered PL competition? I don't know if you are doing these numbers RAW but if you are you could destroy the World Record for raw PL at your weight. I don't know your age but regardless of age at your weight World Record RAW PL total is 1185. You are 100lbs or more above that.

Thick bar can be a strange animal. In 2005, Dan Harrison, a guy who lost his Gripboard privilges years ago, who could deadlift around 700 at the time, who was working on getting his Pro Strongman card, who had 8 inch hands, who could close the 3...could not lift 160 on the old style Rolling Thunder handle. I think one contest it was 157, and the other was under 140.

You just never know.

LOL i don't see myself pulling 270 on this new handle anytime soon...

Fatso ....

Very cool race ... I'm on a diet right now, weighing about 223 and dropping. I'm probably losing a little strength in the process, but I'll join in ... now I just need to score the new handle.

by the end of my diet, I think I'll be around 210 - 215 maybe even less. Bob Lipinski just mail me an old handle which I will practice on in the meantime until I can get myself the new handle.

187 on the new handle is great ... especially at 202 ... I'm impressed

Andrew Durniat would probably be a good guy for this challenge... I would think anyway

Edited by AuCraigCall

Very cool race ... I'm on a diet right now, weighing about 223 and dropping. I'm probably losing a little strength in the process, but I'll join in ... now I just need to score the new handle.

by the end of my diet, I think I'll be around 210 - 215 maybe even less.

I weigh 210, not 202. :( Although with the Weight Watchers program my wife and I are religiously following, in 8 weeks I will weigh 202. Losing 1 pound per week. Thirty-three weeks into 2009, and I have lost 33 pounds. I suspect the twain shall meet at 197.

Your Mash Monster Profile says you weigh 215. :blink That's okay, as my driver's license has said I have weighed 200 for the last 20 years, and it has been 20 years since I weighed 200. :blush

I doubt if I am going to be the first. If I am not, my goal will be the first person to weigh under 200 to lift over 200 on the new handle. Now THAT would be a tough one to beat.

Bench I always max RAW, with a shirt I am not really great I have put up 353 with a shirt.

Squat and Dead I wear gear, suit belt, knee straps. I don't always use wrist straps for deadlift since training grip.

I don't know exactly what my numbers are RAW last time I checked my deadlift was at 380 and my squat 420.

Still if the total for my weight class is only 1185 that's not really "that" extreme

LOL i don't see myself pulling 270 on this new handle anytime soon...

Fatso ....

by the end of my diet, I think I'll be around 210 - 215 maybe even less. Bob Lipinski just mail me an old handle which I will practice on in the meantime until I can get myself the new handle.

lmao is that your plan now? give yourself an eating disorder to get down to something you can "handle" on the handle?! HAHA!

what is the reason, to change a competition-tool?

only a good business for ironmind?

Probably to make things "harder" for "regular" people, I.E. Non Pro Strongmen, same reason Randy probably changed the rules for the COC certs, it wasn't elitist enough for him I guess.

by the end of my diet, I think I'll be around 210 - 215 maybe even less.

I weigh 210, not 202. :( Although with the Weight Watchers program my wife and I are religiously following, in 8 weeks I will weigh 202. Losing 1 pound per week. Thirty-three weeks into 2009, and I have lost 33 pounds. I suspect the twain shall meet at 197.

Your Mash Monster Profile says you weigh 215. :blink That's okay, as my driver's license has said I have weighed 200 for the last 20 years, and it has been 20 years since I weighed 200. :blush

I doubt if I am going to be the first. If I am not, my goal will be the first person to weigh under 200 to lift over 200 on the new handle. Now THAT would be a tough one to beat.

I was 215 when I certed on the MM1 and had gained about 25lbs of lard since .... I guess they don't update how fat you're getting on the Mash Monster profiles :laugh