Gorilla With Hand Gripper

darthsith19

It's kind of silly comparing gorilla strength to human, but since I reckon this board have a collection of some of the best grippers in the world.

Let's get some facts straight:

1: The gorilla is the largest of all primates.

2: Adult male mountain gorillas (Gorilla beringei beringei) may weigh up to 220 kg (484 lb) and females weigh about 97.7 kg (215 lb).

3: Gorillas have larger muscles in their arms than in their legs (the opposite is true for humans). This is primarily due to the fact that they use their increased arm strength for bending and gathering foliage and for defense.

4: Gorillas' arms are much longer than their legs and their arm span is about 30 cm (1 ft) longer than that of an adult human male.

5: An adult gorilla's upper body strength is six times more powerful than that of an adult human - enabling them to lift, break, and squeeze heavy objects.

Source: http://www.seaworld.org/animal-info/info-b...acteristics.htm

To grasp just how big the gorilla hand is -

- it's a bit creepy, but it's the best comparison I could find.

If these facts are correct - they estimate upper body strength 6 times as of a man, other sources claim much more.

They have much bigger bone structure and tendons in their arms than humans - that is a given.

As far as grip strength goes - a gorilla is buildt for gripping, but we have no information about how strong their grip is.

Humans can train their hands to get a very strong grip, despite having a small hand we have a big thumb we can utilize as well.

My estimate will be that a large silverback gorilla has twice the grip strength than the strongest human trained for grip strength (years of training)

It would be cool to see what a gorilla could do to a gripper though, shouldn't be so hard to train them, they can learn sign language - so to learn how to close a gripper should be easy ;)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hamil1km

• Magnus

• Grippster

• eltorrente

The chimp is doing an angled overhead press :rock ..... remarkable :cool

2: A gorilla could probably sweep any gripper you care to name, but the final close? Tricky.

That makes me laugh. The thought of a 400lb silverback not being able to get that last 1/4inch is silly

Look at the video where Mark Felix has trouble with a #3 because of the size of his hands, leverage is everything, you can have all the strength in the world but if you can't apply it where it's needed, it's useless.

i agree with this 100%. just look at the gorilla's hands, it's like 4 times the size of a human hand. i don't think he could get proper leverage unless a specifically thick handled large spread gripper was made for him.

i agree with this 100%. just look at the gorilla's hands, it's like 4 times the size of a human hand. i don't think he could get proper leverage unless a specifically thick handled large spread gripper was made for him.

I agree with this, the grippers are buildt for humans, not gorillas.

Now who want to build a gorilla gripper?

Guest Bullitt
2: A gorilla could probably sweep any gripper you care to name, but the final close? Tricky.

That makes me laugh. The thought of a 400lb silverback not being able to get that last 1/4inch is silly

Look at the video where Mark Felix has trouble with a #3 because of the size of his hands, leverage is everything, you can have all the strength in the world but if you can't apply it where it's needed, it's useless.

He would pinch a #4 between 2 fingers like an IMTUG. lol

:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh

Guest Bullitt

Done. 1800lb BEAST

Quite the spread. lol

Done. 1800lb BEAST

Quite the spread. lol

HAHAHA - quite the beast utilizing the gripper also :bow

Guest Bullitt

yea, that kid is hilarious. "off day" :laugh

This old Chimp has taken extreme offense to the lack of respect he and his fellow friends are getting on this thread.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...uilderchimp.jpg

No wonder they are so freakin strong. That old boy has quite the testosterone factory going on there. He looks like a little powerlifter. lol

yea, that kid is hilarious. "off day" :laugh

This old Chimp has taken extreme offense to the lack of respect he and his fellow friends are getting on this thread.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...uilderchimp.jpg

No wonder they are so freakin strong. That old boy has quite the testosterone factory going on there. He looks like a little powerlifter. lol

He's actually having a stare down with Mark Felix in that picture. Mark backed down :laugh:laugh

This thread is hopeless. I could give reason after reason why this is all speculation completely devoid of any logic, why a staged video of a chimp having a tug of war (with a rope that remains slack) really ISN'T an indicator of diddly-squat, why these "scientific tests" are anything but AND why the actually prove my other posts right, why saying "a gorilla is really thick, a gorilla has long arms, a gorilla has really fat hands, therefore it must be able to do..." means nothing, how all of this is unproved, no videos, pictures, ZIP, how these claims are getting more and more ridiculous as the thread grows, etc, but none of it seems to matter...it's a waste of my time. I've seen that video of the gorilla "effortlessly" pulling over bamboo. Yeah. Pulling...and pulling...and pulling. Then, when it finally gets it over, manages to rip some of the skin off of it, and that makes a gorilla capable of closing a Universe, bending 2" x 15" steel, all these other ridiculous, baseless claims? Even in Richards post, where is there a single feat of strength performed by the gorilla? Slamming a door frame? That's all body weight. Dominic Filiou could do the same thing. Why, if you watch videos of gorilla fighting, aren't they whipping each other around like ragdolls, crushing each others bones, etc? They can barely move each other. 400lb. Big whoop. And, on top of all that, where is there ANY indicators of a gorilla's grip strength through all this?

Also, Neils post is completely feasible. The spread of the Beast has nothing to do with the final close, which, as Neil and Chris pointed out, a gorilla still couldn't close just do to leverage. Despite ridicule, the comparison to Mark Felix was a very good analogy.

Guys, nobody's saying gorillas aren't stronger than humans. You'd swear we were saying gorillas are weaklings. We're not. We're simply pointing out that they're not as strong as these crazy claims are making them out to be.

Just to throw a little fuel on the fire; A bear is stronger than a gorilla :D

I think Magnus is a gorilla hater.

i wonder if gorillas could harness pull a corvette?

:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:tongue

rico

Of coarse it could. A gorilla once pulled the moon out of orbit with one hand. Chuck Norris had to put it back.

Edited by Magnus

This thread is hopeless. I could give reason after reason why this is all speculation completely devoid of any logic, why a staged video of a chimp having a tug of war (with a rope that remains slack) really ISN'T an indicator of diddly-squat, why these "scientific tests" are anything but AND why the actually prove my other posts right, why saying "a gorilla is really thick, a gorilla has long arms, a gorilla has really fat hands, therefore it must be able to do..." means nothing, how all of this is unproved, no videos, pictures, ZIP, how these claims are getting more and more ridiculous as the thread grows, etc, but none of it seems to matter...it's a waste of my time. I've seen that video of the gorilla "effortlessly" pulling over bamboo. Yeah. Pulling...and pulling...and pulling. Then, when it finally gets it over, manages to rip some of the skin off of it, and that makes a gorilla capable of closing a Universe, bending 2" x 15" steel, all these other ridiculous, baseless claims? Even in Richards post, where is there a single feat of strength performed by the gorilla? Slamming a door frame? That's all body weight. Dominic Filiou could do the same thing. Why, if you watch videos of gorilla fighting, aren't they whipping each other around like ragdolls, crushing each others bones, etc? They can barely move each other. 400lb. Big whoop. And, on top of all that, where is there ANY indicators of a gorilla's grip strength through all this?

Also, Neils post is completely feasible. The spread of the Beast has nothing to do with the final close, which, as Neil and Chris pointed out, a gorilla still couldn't close just do to leverage. Despite ridicule, the comparison to Mark Felix was a very good analogy.

Guys, nobody's saying gorillas aren't stronger than humans. You'd swear we were saying gorillas are weaklings. We're not. We're simply pointing out that they're not as strong as these crazy claims are making them out to be.

Just to throw a little fuel on the fire; A bear is stronger than a gorilla :D

I think Magnus is a gorilla hater.

i wonder if gorillas could harness pull a corvette?

:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:tongue

rico

Of coarse it could. A gorilla once pulled the moon out of orbit with one hand. Chuck Norris had to put it back.

Gorilla Hater.... BTW Chuck Norris could definitely close The Beast, no one would dispute that

Gorilla Hater.... BTW Chuck Norris could definitely close The Beast, no one would dispute that

:laugh :laugh :laugh I'm glad that we can finally see eye-to-eye on something :D

Edited by Magnus

Guest Bullitt

:laugh :laugh :laugh I'm glad that we can finally see eye-to-eye on something :D

Chuck didn't have to close the Beast. The Beast closed itself when it heard Chuck was looking for it.

Bears do not have opposable thumbs, so anyone on the gripboard could outgrip a bear. :D

The gorilla is fascinating because they got an anatomy close to ours, only with a much more solid build.

Humans are capable of training up incredible strength (compared to other humans) but we are limited by our bone structure, muscles and tendons.

A gorilla got all what we lack, buildt like a truck with strong powerfull muscles, it's natural that we are fascinated.

A bear on the other hand, don't fascinate me that much, because I can't compare.

Sure they are stronger, a grizzly could pretty much rip apart any creature coming their way, and why stop with bears bring on the rhinoceros and elephants.

This is a grip board and as far as I know these creatures can't grip if their life were depending on it. Gorillas can...

Chuck didn't have to close the Beast. The Beast closed itself when it heard Chuck was looking for it.

Bears do not have opposable thumbs, so anyone on the gripboard could outgrip a bear. :D

They'd kick butt at thumbless RT :mosher

Edited by Magnus

The gorilla is fascinating because they got an anatomy close to ours, only with a much more solid build.

Humans are capable of training up incredible strength (compared to other humans) but we are limited by our bone structure, muscles and tendons.

A gorilla got all what we lack, buildt like a truck with strong powerfull muscles, it's natural that we are fascinated.

A bear on the other hand, don't fascinate me that much, because I can't compare.

Sure they are stronger, a grizzly could pretty much rip apart any creature coming their way, and why stop with bears bring on the rhinoceros and elephants.

This is a grip board and as far as I know these creatures can't grip if their life were depending on it. Gorillas can...

I'm sure a great white shark could close the beast with it's jaws. RIGHT?

I'm sure a great white shark could close the beast with it's jaws. RIGHT?

Nah, but a killer whale could ;)