• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hamil1km

• Magnus

• Grippster

• eltorrente

only an idea:

yes, a gorilla is the biggest, but they are only walking around the ground.

an oran utan is a bit smaller, but he can climb in the trees (hangig around long time with one hand).

so i would say, they are the better gripper :D

only an idea:

an oran utan is a bit smaller, but he can climb in the trees (hangig around long time with one hand).

They weigh far less and gorillas can indeed climb very well and hang very easily. Yes... 500lbs can hang easily.

only an idea:

at london zoo ive seen a gorilla (female) in the enclosure. there was a pretty thick rope dangling down with a tyre tied to it. the gorilla grabbed the rope-looked about as thick as a coke can, and effortlessly just swung there with 1 arm, not supporting her weight on the tyre or the ground etc.

i think its only wen you see them up close and see them do things, that you realise the level of strength they possess. i was lucky enough to have the silverback come up close to the glass, the thickness of his hands and fingers is astonishing.

only an idea:

at london zoo ive seen a gorilla (female) in the enclosure. there was a pretty thick rope dangling down with a tyre tied to it. the gorilla grabbed the rope-looked about as thick as a coke can, and effortlessly just swung there with 1 arm, not supporting her weight on the tyre or the ground etc.

i think its only wen you see them up close and see them do things, that you realise the level of strength they possess. i was lucky enough to have the silverback come up close to the glass, the thickness of his hands and fingers is astonishing.

They're so strong that they do incredible feats of strength effortlessly, making it look easier than it really is. I agree, their normally calm and laid-back nature masks their power. They'd probably be as strong as me, if they trained grippers the way I do of course.

In tests at the Bronx Zoo in 1924, a dynamometer — a scale that measures the mechanical force of a pull on a spring — was erected in the monkey house. A 165-pound male chimpanzee named "Boma" registered a pull of 847 pounds, using only his right hand (although he did have his feet braced against the wall, being somewhat hip, in his simian way, to the principles of leverage). A 165-pound man, by comparison, could manage a one-handed pull of about 210 pounds. Even more frightening, a female chimp, weighing a mere 135 pounds and going by the name of Suzette, checked in with a one-handed pull of 1,260 pounds. (She was in a fit of passion at the time; one shudders to think what her boyfriend must have looked like next morning.) In dead lifts, chimps have been known to manage weights of 600 pounds without even breaking into a sweat. A male gorilla could probably heft an 1,800-pound weight and not think twice about it.
From Straight Dope web site, Arthur was Cecil Adams

Matt

I've got some suggestions for future main forum topics along this line.

How hard a gripper could the Terminator close?

Why doesn't Ironmind make a #5?

How do I get from the #2 to the #3?

How hard a gripper could the Terminator close with KTA?

-Rex

If it's about physical abilities, human has nothing against wild animals. No strength, dexterity, speed, claws or big mouth and long teeth.

True, but there are certain things that WE as humans can do that animals can't.

What can a man do with bare hands against some animals mentioned before. He can do only one thing. Die.

You forgot evade and hide and if given the chance, run. And if we fight, we do it with tools like weapons invented and perfected by US. We have brains and intelligence, much more of an advantage than fangs or claws or strength.

I've got some suggestions for future main forum topics along this line.

How hard a gripper could the Terminator close?

Why doesn't Ironmind make a #5?

How do I get from the #2 to the #3?

How hard a gripper could the Terminator close with KTA?

-Rex

You're missing one about an injury.