• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hamil1km

• Magnus

• Grippster

• eltorrente

Ok:

1: Open hand strength (thick rope climbing) has very little to do with the crush required for the final 1/4 inch on a gripper.

2: A gorilla could probably sweep any gripper you care to name, but the final close? Tricky.

3:

and most importantly:

4:

Here is a contest between a female orangutan and a sumo wrestler.

Even though the human is much heavier he can't move the monkey.

PLEASE tell me you didn't just call that APE a MONKEY!!! Has Terry Pratchett taught us nothing?

Guest Bullitt

Here are the only scientific experiments I could find on chimp and ape strength. The rest will have to be left up to the mythbusters!

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2...-full-grown-man

In tests at the Bronx Zoo in 1924, a dynamometer — a scale that measures the mechanical force of a pull on a spring — was erected in the monkey house. A 165-pound male chimpanzee named "Boma" registered a pull of 847 pounds, using only his right hand (although he did have his feet braced against the wall, being somewhat hip, in his simian way, to the principles of leverage). A 165-pound man, by comparison, could manage a one-handed pull of about 210 pounds. Even more frightening, a female chimp, weighing a mere 135 pounds and going by the name of Suzette, checked in with a one-handed pull of 1,260 pounds. (She was in a fit of passion at the time; one shudders to think what her boyfriend must have looked like next morning.) In dead lifts, chimps have been known to manage weights of 600 pounds without even breaking into a sweat. A male gorilla could probably heft an 1,800-pound weight and not think twice about it.

And...

Anyone who has ever watched gorillas snap giant bamboo stems will wonder how they appear to do it so effortlessly. Tests on 4 inch diameter bamboo using mechanical 'arms' suggest it takes 580 kg of force before they begin to snap. Wildlife artist Eric Wilson mentions taking a sample of bamboo that had been snapped by a male gorilla and which he was unable to break even when jumping on it. As regards the pulling power of a silverback, Jack Thropp relates how a tug of war apparatus was set up for the zoo gorilla Cameroun..."We had to find a material durable enough to use for a pull. The first material was a 1,000 lb test nylon chain. Cameroun just laid it across his chest and "Samson-like" popped it into pieces. A steel chain was tried, but was too noisy and it kinked. A cotton rope was quickly turned into a frayed rag and hemp rope untwisted. Success was finally achieved with braid-woven nylon rope."

The Ringling Bros circus gorilla Gargantua, who had a tragic life, was always up for a tug-of-war with volunteer contestants, although each time he threw the end of the rope out, he would shorten it somewhat, thus hoping to lure the opponents to within biting distance! In his book on Gargantua, Plowden claims that Gargantua had the strength of 27 men, but surely this would be an exageration. The circus also promoted him as a 500 lb 'monster' when in fact Gargantua was not large for an adult male gorilla (possibly as a result of intestinal damage due to chemical poisoning when he was an infant) and weighed well less than 400 lbs when he died. Another gorilla Willie B was given the opportunity to play tug-of-war and always won when he wanted to pull against crowds of people and zoo staff, but seemed more concerned with getting all the rope into his cage where he could play with it. There are numerous other cases of gorillas performing exceptional feats of strength. Bushman of Chicago Zoo was able to stretch a penumatic car tyre the length of his armspread - a seemingly impossible task and yet he was observed doing just that.

I'm betting on the gorilla. Just saying.

Ok:

1: Open hand strength (thick rope climbing) has very little to do with the crush required for the final 1/4 inch on a gripper.

2: A gorilla could probably sweep any gripper you care to name, but the final close? Tricky.

3:

and most importantly:

4:

PLEASE tell me you didn't just call that APE a MONKEY!!! Has Terry Pratchett taught us nothing?

That makes me laugh. The thought of a 400lb silverback not being able to get that last 1/4inch is silly

I was given the rare birthday treat to be taken inside the gorilla enclosure at the Columbia SC. zoo. There are three males present and upon walking into the enclosure I was greeted by a grunt and a bluff charge with the big male hitting the enclosure door with such force the building shook. I was so startled deep inside my feet were running and my mind was telling me to stand still. After he settled down he sat about a foot away and looked as if peering into my soul. I was allowed to feed him but not touch or look directly at him. He was about 425lb. and so thick , with such gigantic hands and the MOST scary thing was his "quiet potential". After seeing him one on one close up there is no doubt in my mind should he WANT to he could literally rip you limb from limb. The thickness, rippling power, and the ease of control of his mass is unbelieveable. My hand was trying to be steady as I handed him a small food offering and he deftly took it as with the dexterity of a surgeon. I think in hindsight physically they could out-do anything strengthwise we could imagine. RS

He was about 425lb. and so thick , with such gigantic hands and the MOST scary thing was his "quiet potential".

im going to be going to london zoo near the end of may, beginning of june. as mentioned earlier in this thread, they have a great gorilla enclosure, with models to show hand scale and so forth. ill gladly take a few pictures of the model next to my hand, as well as other features there. Sadly, i heard their silverback died recently, so unless theyve introduced a new one, i might not be able to get pics of the ape itself.

they also have this nice little setup outside, its basically a fake tree, with hand prints of a gorilla printed on to show how they climb trees, if need be. im not 100% sure, but if memory serves correct, the hand prints showed the gorilla have a hand on either side of the tree to hold on and climb (imagine squeezing a basketball between your hands at chest level)

*looks forward to his zoo trip with the family!*

A 135lb female chimp ONE HAND pulling 1260lbs is all that needs to be said about primate strength..

A 400lb+ Silverback must possess unimagineable power.

All this stuff about a how a gorilla is "x times" stronger than humans is BS.

Orangutan vs Human

Now a sumo wrestler might not be the best match up, given they have much body fat, some of our best strongmen would do a better effort I'm sure.

But then again we are talking a match against a skinny female orangutan. This match between the worlds strongest man and an equal weight silverback gorilla will either make the

man fly through the air several meters or rip their arms out of the socket.

As grip strength goes, imagine weighing 500lb doing one handed pullups on a rope/lian on a daily basis. You want to shake hands :D

This is from the series animal face-off gorilla vs leopard, maybe not very credible but entertaining, I love the way the gorilla ended the fight - brute force

Silly & staged. At one point they close up on the "sumo" wrestler & he's making the "I'm pulling as hard as I can" face, and the quick pan back shows the rope hanging loose. Also, if the orang was pulling that hard, the sumo guy would have flown off when he was getting up to standing.

I read some litttle factoid years ago that an enraged female chimp "pulled" 1200 lbs in a "scientific" test, as in a sled pull. Pound for pound they may be stronger, but 10-20 times? No. I've pulled partial deads with 1200 for sets of 5 lots of times. A partial with 1520 once. Steve Justa claims 2000 for a 2 inch pull, and go to Odd Lifts sites & the records stand at 2,500lbs+ for the harness lifts. They can't crush steel in their hands either. Take Gazza for example, there. Years of hardcore training for bending & he's way out there above all of Earth on crush power, but actually crush a piece of solid steel, not possible. Bones, tendons & ligaments wouldn't hold up to it. This is a fun little thread, but not much reality.

Do Gorillas even climb? I thought they were ground dwellers.

Guest Bullitt

I'm going with Mr. Sorin on this one and saying gorillas can outdo anything strengthwise we can imagine. He's seen one up close and I don't know of anyone more qualified to assess strength.

And for the record... Gorillas can climb like, well... monkeys. :D

Orangutan vs Human

Now a sumo wrestler might not be the best match up, given they have much body fat, some of our best strongmen would do a better effort I'm sure.

But then again we are talking a match against a skinny female orangutan. This match between the worlds strongest man and an equal weight silverback gorilla will either make the

man fly through the air several meters or rip their arms out of the socket.

As grip strength goes, imagine weighing 500lb doing one handed pullups on a rope/lian on a daily basis. You want to shake hands :D

This is from the series animal face-off gorilla vs leopard, maybe not very credible but entertaining, I love the way the gorilla ended the fight - brute force

Silly & staged. At one point they close up on the "sumo" wrestler & he's making the "I'm pulling as hard as I can" face, and the quick pan back shows the rope hanging loose. Also, if the orang was pulling that hard, the sumo guy would have flown off when he was getting up to standing.

I read some litttle factoid years ago that an enraged female chimp "pulled" 1200 lbs in a "scientific" test, as in a sled pull. Pound for pound they may be stronger, but 10-20 times? No. I've pulled partial deads with 1200 for sets of 5 lots of times. A partial with 1520 once. Steve Justa claims 2000 for a 2 inch pull, and go to Odd Lifts sites & the records stand at 2,500lbs+ for the harness lifts. They can't crush steel in their hands either. Take Gazza for example, there. Years of hardcore training for bending & he's way out there above all of Earth on crush power, but actually crush a piece of solid steel, not possible. Bones, tendons & ligaments wouldn't hold up to it. This is a fun little thread, but not much reality.

So? Some spiders can spin silk that is stronger than steel. Just because it's organic doesn't mean it won't hold up to metal. Sharks have the power to crush thick metal in their jaws. Do their bones give out? No...

And comparing Gazza to a gorilla is absurd. Look man, I thought I was pretty strong too after closing some big grippers until I found out about some relatives who would put me to shame. You can train your damn butt off for years, it doesn't mean nothing can do better than you. A gorilla's tendons are probably 5 times the density of ours. Of course they'd hold. I can bend a steel bar as long as it's only a 1/4 inch. A gorilla can bend a 2 inch because he's bigger and built tougher. There's nothing unreasonable about that.

Sharks can scew on metal sheets and stuff like that. License plates and stuff like that. But they break their teeth and loose them because of that. What they can't do is to bite off any steel rods of considirate size. They bite really hard. But steel is basically the hardest alloy there is and organic matter can't stand up to it.

And gorillas wouldn't be able to crush steel in the sense of picking up a blob and crush it.

as for bending. a 1/4x7" cold rolled steel would take 200lbs to bend into a 30 degree angle

given that a 2" steel rod would have rouphly 6400% more steel in it. It would basically mean that it will take 12800lbs to bend a 2x7" steel rod. Not very likely to happen. Now imagine if we are talking of crushing a steel ball. Even more unlikely.

Edited by David_wigren

No, no... I see the misunderstanding now. Of course, only a very powerful machine (like a steel press) could actually crush something like a blob. What I meant by crushing metal with their hands is that they could probably bend the aluminum handles of a gripper together. Aluminum is soft, don't forget. When I said the beast gripper would close one way or another I wasn't implying they have the power of a steel press, but simply that the small aluminum handles would give in to their grip. I think that's totally reasonable. Oh and also, I was thinking of them bending a 2 inch bar that's bigger than 7 inches long. That is a little far fetched. I was thinking more like a 15"+ piece.

Edited by Grippster

No, no... I see the misunderstanding now. Of course, only a very powerful machine (like a steel press) could actually crush something like a blob. What I meant by crushing metal with their hands is that they could probably bend the aluminum handles of a gripper together. Aluminum is soft, don't forget. When I said the beast gripper would close one way or another I wasn't implying they have the power of a steel press, but simply that the small aluminum handles would give in to their grip. I think that's totally reasonable. Oh and also, I was thinking of them bending a 2 inch bar that's bigger than 7 inches long. That is a little far fetched. I was thinking more like a 15"+ piece.

Oh, I see. My bad.

I totaly agree though that they could bend the aluminum handles. They would most likely do that almost effortless.

I still don't think they would be able to bend a 2" at 15". But around 40-50" that might be posible. Can't calculate what amout of force that would actually aquire. I would be ALOT. But it doesn't seem to far fetched.

I guess it depends on how far down the spring on the beast gripper goes. If the spring goes all the way down or most of the way so the handles won't bend and the pin would hold then even at that I still think the gorilla has the power to touch the handles against the force of the giant spring. The beast gripper is a weird thing, we really don't know much about how it would react when suitable force is applied. I'd like to try it but I fear it could be dangerous. There was a failed attempt at calibrating a Super Galaxy a while ago and the whole calibrator flipped through the wall with over 500lbs on it. Maybe in a vice with a very long handle or high leverage crank attached and some kind of slot to hold the handles firmly in place.

OF COURSE they can.

Are you honestly trying to imply that you possess the strength of a chimpanzee?!?! :laugh

I think Magnus is a gorilla hater.

i wonder if gorillas could harness pull a corvette?

:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:tongue

rico

Edited by rico300zx

Heres what I think....can a gorilla do this?

rico

rico

LOL are you being serious?

rico

LOL are you being serious?

Show me, then I will believe. Superman and The Incredible Hulk can also close big grippers but I didn't have my camera on me.

That makes me laugh. The thought of a 400lb silverback not being able to get that last 1/4inch is silly

Look at the video where Mark Felix has trouble with a #3 because of the size of his hands, leverage is everything, you can have all the strength in the world but if you can't apply it where it's needed, it's useless.

Look at the video where Mark Felix has trouble with a #3 because of the size of his hands, leverage is everything, you can have all the strength in the world but if you can't apply it where it's needed, it's useless.

Yea good point. Mark Felix and a 400lb Silverback Gorilla is a perfect comparison of strength and power

Guest Bullitt

The chimp that pulled over 1200lbs was a 135lb female chimp. A 450 lb male silverback could be expected to pull quite a bit more.

Maybe they can't crush steel, however, the force of their grip and power in their arms is incredible. Again, I quote from the study...

Anyone who has ever watched gorillas snap giant bamboo stems will wonder how they appear to do it so effortlessly. Tests on 4 inch diameter bamboo using mechanical 'arms' suggest it takes 580 kg of force before they begin to snap.

That's 1280 lbs of force they are applying without breaking a sweat. Day in and day out. They can close any gripper one way or another, they can bend 4 pieces of any metal the strongest man can bend, and they can pull 4 times as much as any man. Their bones are much thicker and more dense. They have more fast twitch fibers than our muscles, and they have very low muscle insertions to give them better leverage. Our brains evolved, their brawn evolved.

Mr. Sorin has seen some of the strongest men work their skills (Tex, Rich, etc...), and if he says the Gorilla is hands down superior after being in the enclosure with them and feeding them, I would have to think he is correct. I'm going with science and Sorin on this one and say that a male, silverback gorilla could close any gripper made. That is, if he doesn't rip the arm off the judge and cameraman first. I'm not sure who we could get to do the cc set check either. I'll let you guys work out the details. :D