Gorilla With Hand Gripper

darthsith19

This "gorillas vs humans" thing has been done to death.

A gorilla wouldn't be able to bench a huge amount of weight (i.e much more than the strongest man) as it's got extremely long arms.

It's unlikely a gorilla would be able to close these huge grippers, as even though they sometimes swing about one handed etc, they have no need for a ridiculous amount of crushing strength in their day to day life. I'm sure chimps and gorillas could put in some "massive" numbers on a hand dyno, but the dyno numbers quoted in these studies for chimps are based on a deadlift style movement, or braced pulling.

At the end of the day they're wild animals and can and do kill humans by tearing them to bits, but this doesn't mean they're 10 times stronger, just that they've got an animal mind, no real inhibitions and massive amounts of functional upper body strength from the way they live.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hamil1km

• Magnus

• Grippster

• eltorrente

Guest Bullitt

A chimp's palm is longer and thinner than a man's so he would have to get a really good set. :laugh

A gorilla's hand is proportionally very similar to a man's. Just way bigger. He should be able to handle a bigger spread with no problem. ;)

Orangutans are pretty much screwed. No thumb pad. All of these guys would be brutal with a rolling thunder or blob though. lol

http://www.cryptozoology.com/forum/images/..._hands_1633.jpg

What would be really cool would be to see them slam a #3 with their feet... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

http://custance.org/old/evol/5ch3/feetbot.gif

Edited by Bullitt

A chimp's palm is longer and thinner than a man's so he would have to get a really good set. :laugh

A gorilla's hand is proportionally very similar to a man's. Just way bigger. He should be able to handle a bigger spread with no problem. ;)

Orangutans are pretty much screwed. No thumb pad. All of these guys would be brutal with a rolling thunder or blob though. lol

http://www.cryptozoology.com/forum/images/..._hands_1633.jpg

If there were any Gorillas that belonged to this board I think they would probably pimp slap all the doubters :D

Orangutan vs Human

Here is a contest between a female orangutan and a sumo wrestler.

Even though the human is much heavier he can't move the monkey.

Now a sumo wrestler might not be the best match up, given they have much body fat, some of our best strongmen would do a better effort I'm sure.

But then again we are talking a match against a skinny female orangutan. This match between the worlds strongest man and an equal weight silverback gorilla will either make the

man fly through the air several meters or rip their arms out of the socket.

As grip strength goes, imagine weighing 500lb doing one handed pullups on a rope/lian on a daily basis. You want to shake hands :D

This is from the series animal face-off gorilla vs leopard, maybe not very credible but entertaining, I love the way the gorilla ended the fight - brute force

Guest Bullitt

The orangutan looked bored. You put a silverback up there and train him to pull and you could have 10 of those guys pull with everything they have and he would yank them in the mud. That was awesome. Pudz might have given the female orangutan a run for her money, but i don't know. Didn't even look like she was trying. :laugh

Could the gorilla really close the beat gripper?

If a human can close a 365lb gripper, I have zero doubt that a gorilla could close an 1800lb one. A Gorilla is much more than 5 times stronger than the guys that have closed the #4.

Nobodies ever closed anything near a 365lb gripper. They're IMs ratings, which are completely arbitrary. A #4 is really about 210lb. The highest RGC-calibrated close we actually know of is Chad's 205lb #4 close. However, the Universe/Beast is a completely different animal altogether. The (old) rating is 1800, but in reality, may actually be there or better, considering it takes over 500lb to bring a Galaxy to parallel, and that's nowhere near a Universe...not even the same ball park. No doubt a gorilla is strong, but I seriously doubt it'd get the universe to parallel, even. And Warren really buries the spring, sound I don't think there's too much of a chance of the handle breaking. It just wouldn't close it, period. I think this gorilla-strength stuff is way exaggerated. 20 x the strength of an average man? Well let's see; your average guy can strict press about (and I think I'm being pretty conservative) 100lb. So a gorilla can strict press 2000+lb? Mmmmm. 8 x the strength of an olympic lifter? Let's just use a 400lb C&J for argument's purpose. A gorilla can clean and jerk 3200lb? Over 3 x Andy's deadlift? C'mon...

Actually yes, it probably could. A gorilla could lift a car if it was motivated. Remember that these animals are very peaceful 99% of the time.

Just because a Zr1's way more powerful than a Sentra, doesn't mean it has 20 times the power of a Sentra. A gorilla is way stronger than a human, but not 20 times stronger. People get carried away with these things.

And then there's also the point Chris brought up. Their fingers are very short and opposed to their palm length, so I'm not sure the could close any gripper just do to leverage. I have no doubt that, regardless of leverage, they are capable of closing much bigger grippers than humans, but not to the magnitude it's getting taken to.

When it comes to a gripper, I really don't think it matters who made it, what the spread was or what the mounting is like. The point is, a gorilla has the ability to crush metal with its hands. Especially something soft like aluminum. Many people speculate that the beast gripper is incapable of closing because the spring would rub on the handles. For a gorilla, I don't think it matters. The handles would touch, one way or another. Something would give out; either the spring will give in to the force, it breaks, or the handles bend together. Look at how fat their hands are. I would be really shocked if a gorilla couldn't destroy any gripper ever made as of May 2009 and it was going all out.

Guest Bullitt
When it comes to a gripper, I really don't think it matters who made it, what the spread was or what the mounting is like. The point is, a gorilla has the ability to crush metal with its hands. Especially something soft like aluminum. Many people speculate that the beast gripper is incapable of closing because the spring would rub on the handles. For a gorilla, I don't think it matters. The handles would touch, one way or another. Something would give out; either the spring will give in to the force, it breaks, or the handles bend together. Look at how fat their hands are. I would be really shocked if a gorilla couldn't destroy any gripper ever made as of May 2009 and it was going all out.

That's what I'm talkin about.

LOL that female oragutan wasn't even trying. Now take a male oragutan, or a female gorilla, or a monster silverback and do the same thing.. (or a chimp)

There was some show on History channel or some channel like that, and they were saying that if a man was a strong as a gorilla, he could lift 4800lbs over his head.. insane. While I doubt the numbers can be calculated like that, or where they get that from - the fact is that they are in a completely different category all together. I think they are likely that strong in pulling movements, but aren't built necessarily for pushing movements. I'm sure if they had the desire to lift something though, whether optimized for it or not, it could lift something that would put any human to shame. The point is that they are friggin STRONG.

I think people are trying to put everything in "human terms" as far as strength goes. If something is really hard for humans than it MUST take a big effort for a gorilla. It's like a normal man is a 3rd grader in strength, and a a silverback is an olympic weight lifter. It simply isn't comparable at all.

I was watching some nature show and they were showing a family of gorillas lounging around some big, huge bamboo shoots off in the thick jungle somewhere. They were all casually grabbing them and breaking and ripping them in half with zero effort at all. No way in hell the strongest man could approach that, let alone over and over again while kicking back casually. These weren't the bamboo tiki torches you find in Pier1 imports, either. :)

Edited by eltorrente

Orangutan vs Human

As grip strength goes, imagine weighing 500lb doing one handed pullups on a rope/lian on a daily basis. You want to shake hands :D

That was so rigged. It's not even a question. Several other indicators aside, watch the sumo wrestler...after some grunting and dramatics - and pretty much nothing happening - he stands up (???????) and then takes an nice dive forward. Totally fake.

And when has a 500lb gorilla ever done a 1-arm pull-up?

Actually yes, it probably could. A gorilla could lift a car if it was motivated. Remember that these animals are very peaceful 99% of the time.

I'm assuming your talking about a gorilla deadlifting 3200lb. I was talking about it putting 3200 overhead. But, I still don't think it can do either, though.

No evidence for any of it.

Also, I wasn't talking about the mount on the gripper. What I'm talking about is the spring-leg depth in the handle, i.e, the strength of the handle.

The spring-legs on BBs are about 2/3 of the way through the handle, so only the bottom 1/3 would be strained. In addition, I'm sure Warren made them a little deeper in the Universe. Regardless of the handles rubbing the spring, I don't think it'd matter, cuz I don't think it would ever get it that far. Fat hands don't mean anything. As a matter of fact, I've never heard of a single witnessed feat of hand strength performed by a gorilla. It's all speculation.

I would really be shocked if a gorilla even got the Universe to parallel, let alone break it, bend it, etc.

Edited by Magnus

A gorilla would destroy any hand gripper that has ever been made. A chimpanzee could probably close any of them also and they weigh 120lbs

And then chew your face and hands off. Those chimps are nasty little suckers.

It could have all been prevented with a simple trip to Dairy Queen

A gorilla would destroy any hand gripper that has ever been made. A chimpanzee could probably close any of them also and they weigh 120lbs

And then chew your face and hands off. Those chimps are nasty little suckers.

It could have all been prevented with a simple trip to Dairy Queen

Unquestionable wisdom :rock

Edited by Magnus

Orangutan vs Human

That was so rigged. It's not even a question. Several other indicators aside, watch the sumo wrestler...after some grunting and dramatics - and pretty much nothing happening - he stands up (???????) and then takes an nice dive forward. Totally fake.

I'm assuming your talking about a gorilla deadlifting 3200lb. I was talking about it putting 3200 overhead. But, I still don't think it can do either, though.

No evidence for any of it.

Also, I wasn't talking about the mount on the gripper. What I'm talking about is the spring-leg depth in the handle, i.e, the strength of the handle.

The spring-legs on BBs are about 2/3 of the way through the handle, so only the bottom 1/3 would be strained. In addition, I'm sure Warren made them a little deeper in the Universe. Regardless of the handles rubbing the spring, I don't think it'd matter, cuz I don't think it would ever get it that far. Fat hands don't mean anything. As a matter of fact, I've never heard of a single witnessed feat of hand strength performed by a gorilla. It's all speculation.

I would really be shocked if a gorilla even got the Universe to parallel, let alone break it, bend it, etc.

A gorilla can hang as long as we can stand, and you don't think he could do a one arm pull-up? I've watched lots of documentaries on these animals in the past. I specifically remember one scene where a baby climbed onto the mother's back, and while stuffing its face with leaves with one hand it pulled them right up into a tree with the other arm and I didn't hear a whole lot of straining. A male is heavier then again, but also a lot stronger.

Keep debating. . . . this one will get figured out pretty soon I think. :D

Are you doubting a Gorilla can pull itself up with one arm? :blink

Are you doubting a Gorilla can pull itself up with one arm? :blink

Gorillas don't live in trees like other apes.....they live manly on the ground. With no need to really climb trees all the time to gather food. But they do climb them....

But I have seen them snap super thick bamboo with one hand like a human would snap a pencil...like you mentioned earlier...which is some crazy strong rotational lower arm strength.

I'm sure the gorilla could pull up with one arm though.....no problem its just the way its built.

Orangutan vs Human

Now a sumo wrestler might not be the best match up, given they have much body fat, some of our best strongmen would do a better effort I'm sure.

But then again we are talking a match against a skinny female orangutan. This match between the worlds strongest man and an equal weight silverback gorilla will either make the

man fly through the air several meters or rip their arms out of the socket.

This is from the series animal face-off gorilla vs leopard, maybe not very credible but entertaining, I love the way the gorilla ended the fight - brute force

Someone with enough strength coupled with the size could give a quick yank before the orangutan knew what was happening and pull it in no problem I think. I think the factor that made the sumo lose is the lack of back and arm strength coupled with a poor technique.

Someone with enough strength coupled with the size could give a quick yank before the orangutan knew what was happening and pull it in no problem I think. I think the factor that made the sumo lose is the lack of back and arm strength coupled with a poor technique.

Yeah probably, a man with a strong back and legs could probably put some more pressure on the orangutan, but the sumo wrestler is already twice the weight of the ape...

The orangutan is trained to pull the rope, she is probably getting a treat when doing this, so it's not really staged.

The sumo wrestler stand up on his feet during the fight because he can't move the ape while sitting down, it's a stupid move though.

While we are focusing on strength and weight we also should be looking into some big advantages the orangutan has, she can grip with her feets making it even harder to pull her down, and she

got freaking long arms, built for pulling.

Another thing I noticed looking at the hands of human, orangutan, chimps and gorilla, is that the humans got the best developed thumb compared to handsize, so as far as grip goes we do have a little advantage there.

Here is a fun video of a

with no effort, they really are pacefull creatures, the gorilla is just showing his power.

A little demonstration of

, at 0.35 the silverback pulls two threes with one hand before charging towards the human crowd. Not the biggest and strongest threes, but it's just so effortless.

this next link will pretty much end any and all disputes

insane :rock :rock

That's Hilarious

Of course a gorilla couldn't bench, press oder jerk much. Such comparisons are pretty silly because it's really obvious

that the bodily levers and the whole physiology of a gorilla isn't built for pressing but rather for pulling movements.

A gorilla couldn't press a huge amount of weight because it's physiological built wouldn't be able to support the load and

keep the gorilla erect during the movement. Same goes for the benchpress stuff. When it comes to pulling and rotating

movements with the shoulders, arms and hands though, apes are far far off the charts. Their strength mostly relies on

very thick and dense tendons and attachments, humans would need 10 times the muscle and tendon mass to make up that

difference in density and tensile capacity. About a year ago there was footage on youtube of a gorilla breaking down a small

tree with some kind of armwrestling movement while holding onto the ground with the other hand. Think about that :D

I think it is time to submit this to Myth :D busters

Guest Bullitt

Or just look up gorilla climbing on youtube and watch them pull themselves up a tree like they are going downhill. The Cadbury Gorilla was priceless.

Here's the footage they didn't want you to see...

:D

Or just look up gorilla climbing on youtube and watch them pull themselves up a tree like they are going downhill. The Cadbury Gorilla was priceless.

Here's the footage they didn't want you to see...

:D

Hahaha - that's more like it :rock