Gorilla With Hand Gripper

darthsith19

I saw a picture of a gorilla holding a hand gripper a while back... a C.O.C. I think. Can't seem to find it now. Anybody know about it?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hamil1km

• Magnus

• Grippster

• eltorrente

Yes, Randal Strossen was there and he made sure it was a full CCS with no help from the opposite hand, you'll see "Binky the Gorilla" on the cert list soon... haha, I have no idea.

living in london, ive been to London zoo a few times. theyve got a nice gorilla enclosure, and around it are some gorilla to human comparisons, size of skull (model), size of various bodyparts, etc. the best one i found was the hand comparison, they have a to scale model of a gorilla hand. i dont think most people realise the freakish size of the hand of an gorilla, its fingers were as thick as my nephews wrist (who was 12 at the time). also seeing the gorillas hang around with 1 hand from thick ropes in the enclosure, its very clear that these guys have hands (and bodies in general) that are far, far stronger than what most people realise.

Edited by indiladhar

Yes, Randal Strossen was there and he made sure it was a full CCS with no help from the opposite hand, you'll see "Binky the Gorilla" on the cert list soon... haha, I have no idea.

:laugh

That would be really cool to see one close a #4 for reps - which they could do very easily.

I've heard various estimates on their strength on various nature shows and things, and have heard that a 400lb silverback was anywhere from 10-20 times the strength of an average human man. One said "8 olympic weight lifters" was their strength. Whatever the case is, they are unimagineably strong.

Humans are such weaklings for their weight compared to basically any other animal.

That would be really cool to see one close a #4 for reps - which they could do very easily.

I've heard various estimates on their strength on various nature shows and things, and have heard that a 400lb silverback was anywhere from 10-20 times the strength of an average human man. One said "8 olympic weight lifters" was their strength. Whatever the case is, they are unimagineably strong.

Humans are such weaklings for their weight compared to basically any other animal.

Nope, elephants are actually weaker, pound for pound.

Nope, elephants are actually weaker, pound for pound.

Yeah, they can't even jump.

Really??

Really??

Of course!

they might have the strength, but i think maybe their hands are too huge. if you look at a gorilla's hand print it is unbelievably huge. not enough leverage because of the size of it's huge palm.

Give it the beast gripper. It would close, no matter what. Either the spring would snap or the aluminum handles would bend until they touched. Gorillas can very easily bend thick steel, a hand gripper for them - of any resistance - would be like us squeezing a soft therapy ball. I'd like to see this picture, it would be nice as a novelty.

wow. that's is ridiculous. i want to know more about that picture, like if the gorilla did anything with the gripper besides hold it. imagine if they had some gnarled mangled gripper that was bent up. that would be pretty crazy to see too.

Could the gorilla really close the beat gripper?

If a human can close a 365lb gripper, I have zero doubt that a gorilla could close an 1800lb one. A Gorilla is much more than 5 times stronger than the guys that have closed the #4.

Edited by eltorrente

A gorilla would destroy any hand gripper that has ever been made. A chimpanzee could probably close any of them also and they weigh 120lbs

If a human can close a 365lb gripper, I have zero doubt that a gorilla could close an 1800lb one. A Gorilla is much more than 5 times stronger than the guys that have closed the #4.

Nobodies ever closed anything near a 365lb gripper. They're IMs ratings, which are completely arbitrary. A #4 is really about 210lb. The highest RGC-calibrated close we actually know of is Chad's 205lb #4 close. However, the Universe/Beast is a completely different animal altogether. The (old) rating is 1800, but in reality, may actually be there or better, considering it takes over 500lb to bring a Galaxy to parallel, and that's nowhere near a Universe...not even the same ball park. No doubt a gorilla is strong, but I seriously doubt it'd get the universe to parallel, even. And Warren really buries the spring, sound I don't think there's too much of a chance of the handle breaking. It just wouldn't close it, period. I think this gorilla-strength stuff is way exaggerated. 20 x the strength of an average man? Well let's see; your average guy can strict press about (and I think I'm being pretty conservative) 100lb. So a gorilla can strict press 2000+lb? Mmmmm. 8 x the strength of an olympic lifter? Let's just use a 400lb C&J for argument's purpose. A gorilla can clean and jerk 3200lb? Over 3 x Andy's deadlift? C'mon...

Just because a Zr1's way more powerful than a Sentra, doesn't mean it has 20 times the power of a Sentra. A gorilla is way stronger than a human, but not 20 times stronger. People get carried away with these things.

And then there's also the point Chris brought up. Their fingers are very short and opposed to their palm length, so I'm not sure the could close any gripper just do to leverage. I have no doubt that, regardless of leverage, they are capable of closing much bigger grippers than humans, but not to the magnitude it's getting taken to.

They could probably beat us at weighted pull-ups done on thick ropes as well. Maybe even hanging from a regular bar too.

:D

Nobodies ever closed anything near a 365lb gripper. They're IMs ratings, which are completely arbitrary. A #4 is really about 210lb. The highest RGC-calibrated close we actually know of is Chad's 205lb #4 close. However, the Universe/Beast is a completely different animal altogether. The (old) rating is 1800, but in reality, may actually be there or better, considering it takes over 500lb to bring a Galaxy to parallel, and that's nowhere near a Universe...not even the same ball park. No doubt a gorilla is strong, but I seriously doubt it'd get the universe to parallel, even. And Warren really buries the spring, sound I don't think there's too much of a chance of the handle breaking. It just wouldn't close it, period. I think this gorilla-strength stuff is way exaggerated. 20 x the strength of an average man? Well let's see; your average guy can strict press about (and I think I'm being pretty conservative) 100lb. So a gorilla can strict press 2000+lb? Mmmmm. 8 x the strength of an olympic lifter? Let's just use a 400lb C&J for argument's purpose. A gorilla can clean and jerk 3200lb? Over 3 x Andy's deadlift? C'mon...

Just because a Zr1's way more powerful than a Sentra, doesn't mean it has 20 times the power of a Sentra. A gorilla is way stronger than a human, but not 20 times stronger. People get carried away with these things.

And then there's also the point Chris brought up. Their fingers are very short and opposed to their palm length, so I'm not sure the could close any gripper just do to leverage. I have no doubt that, regardless of leverage, they are capable of closing much bigger grippers than humans, but not to the magnitude it's getting taken to.

They could rip your arms off without much effort, doubt they'd have any trouble with a gripper. Plus these animals swing around and climb stuff all day which makes there grip strength probably that much more insane. Either way we'll never find out.

Guest Bullitt
A gorilla would destroy any hand gripper that has ever been made. A chimpanzee could probably close any of them also and they weigh 120lbs

And then chew your face and hands off. Those chimps are nasty little suckers.

And then chew your face and hands off. Those chimps are nasty little suckers.

I love going to the zoo and picking fights with the chimps so they throw dirt and feces at me