Proposed Program For Coc's

Jonathan McMillan

Jeff,

i remembered my #2 felt the same way when I first tried it, now after cracking the #3 out and trying it...the #2 feels much easier. Must be mental or something.

I'm thinking about doing the whole strap thing in my routine as well. Instead of pennies one could use thicker straps....I think this is what Matt is doing in his training?

Jon@han

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jonathan McMillan

• amaury

• bencrush

• thomas straub

Guest sjeff70

I've heard good things about that...when I first joined the board I found out about block holds from David Horn. A method of closing on different thicknesses of wood with weights hanging off them. Using different thick straps is of the same concept.

I've got my #2 attempt workout today. I hope to have a strong workout. :)

Jeff

Yesterday Sat, was my Coc med day. Changed it up a little bit and tried some improvf strap holds with an old dog collar, here's how it went:

T: x1, x1

#1: 10 singles with a grinding shut! So I thought I could do my strap attempts with my #1 -WRONG? Seems I can't shut my #1 with my arm positioned that way for a strap hold, I've been shutting it with my arm flexed at the elbow and my hand near my head.

Back to the T for my strap attempts. What I did was just lift the weight off the ground in a hammer curl:

T: @2.5lbs -easy

@10lbs -same

@20 -tough

@27.5 partial lift strap slipped out of gripper before my elbow was completly bent.

Finished with some ISG work @148 10 singles and this week they were full closes with both hands!!!!

Fun stuff, how'd the #2 go Jeff???

Jon@han

Yesterday (tues) heavy Coc training day:

T: x1, x1

#1: x1

ISG@ 169 x1 new pr for me!!!

#2: an inch away? :blink my hands must be fried from Monday

#2 5pennies: x4 single overcrushes. I used the non gripping hand to assist into position and then was able to really mash down on the penny pile unassisted!

ISG@202 negative, @242neg, @297 partial close with assist.

#3 partial close with assist -bloody inch away even with helping with my other hand :blush

Jon@han

Coc light training today:

T: x10 alternating left and right singles. x10 alternating L,R

ISG@127 x10 single closes, x8 single closes

Not bad, had a kink in my right pinky that the light training helped rub out. Finished with some plate pinches with individual fingers. Haven't done this in a while and was shocked at my regression. I had built up myself to handling a 10lb plate but my ring and pinky finger couldn't even hack 5lbs so I did some with a 2.5 :blush

Did some towel rollups and 12.5lbs on the outerlimit loops followed with some self resistence for the extensors.

Jon@han

Yesterday was sat. Medium Coc training:

T: x1,x1

#1: 5 singles

#1: SH with 1.25lb x1

T: SH @11.25 x1, @16.25 X1, @21.25x1 (barely)

ISG: @157 x5 singles, not quite full closes -assisted shut.

Finished with some shot rotations x10 with my elbow supported on the floor, and x5 standing.

I'm going to have to start counting while doing strapholds to increase my crush endurance.

Jon@han

Jonathan, the ISG is a great grip tool though the feeling is quite different from the COC's. When i received my grippers i had been training with the ISG for a month or so and could close it @ level 169...and was barely able to close my #1 !

So my point is: favour the COCs in your trainings.

Train hard,

Amaury.

Thanks Mike,

It's kindof fun having a training log...originally I hadn't planned to keep a thread running as you can tell by the title.

Jon@han

Being Tuesday it was heavy Coc training:

T: x1

ISG@169 x1L x1assitedR

#2: x1 assisted shut

#2 5 pennies: x1, x1, x1miss

ISG negs: @202x1, @242x1partial, @297x1 partial

#3: pathetic attempt

#2: x1assisted, x1assisted.

It's nice to be able to finally shut the #2 even if I have to help a bit with my other hand...can finally start doing negatives with the thing!

Finished off my workout with some shot rotations x14 standing and x15 with my elbow posted off the ground!

Jon@han

Woke up at 0630 today...I'm on holidays :blink

So I did a light workout Coc training at that time:

T: x1, x1, x1

#1: SH@1.25lbs barely lifted off the ground x2

T: x10 singles

ISG@127 x10 closes with a 3 count hold

#1: x2 singles

Not bad hands felt ok even though I snuck in some #1 work in.

Jon@han

Sat medium Coc training

T:x1

#1SH@1.25lbs x8count, x8count, x8count, failed

#1: x1,x1,x1,x1,x1,x1

TSH@11.25lbs x8count, @16.25lbs x5countL, 8R, @21.25 x1L, 5R

ISG@157 x1, x1, x1, x1, x1, x1 last one held for a 10 count all were assited shut on the last mm and held for a 3 count.

#1: x3 attempts couldn't shut it hands were toast

Outerlimit loops @15lbs x10, x10 rows thumb was sunk in loop past knuckle.

Felt like a good workout

Jon@han

After my gripper training on Sat, I went to visit my parents and I brought my ISG along with me. After my brothers and my dad tried out the gripper I managed to shut it @200lbs unassisted!!! This was so motivating now I know the #2 will fall shortly!

:) flying high

Jon@han

I fried my grip on Tuesday, brought my grippers into work so no planned heavy training that day other then my numerous attempts at the #2. I think one of them was successful with my right hand but I was bracing my wrist so it's not even worth mentioning. On the positive side I can hold my #1 shut now for 10-15seconds as I did this several times.

I'll see if my grip is up to a light training day later on today.

Jon@han

Wow! I'm impressed with the 200 on the ISG. It's weird how we are so backwards. I can rep my #2, but have only managed 179 on the ISG. I wonder if my #2 is overly seasoned?

Well done Jonathan !!

Alan: i can easily close my ISG at higher settings than the 200lbs mark. Why accusing your #2 ? you also do pretty well on your #3 ;)

Thus it must be your ISG ??

I don't know. Do ISG springs become seasoned with use like the grippers? I guess the only real way to tell is to measure the equipment side by side. I haven't any plans for travelling to France in the near future. Jonathan, are you anywhere near Indiana, or maybe plan to attend the Arnold classic or the AOBS Dinner? Is anyone around that would like to compare equipment?

Animalcage,

Just checking form on ISG use, I grip it farthest away from the pivot point instead of in the centre of the gripper and I also have the pivot point above my hand instead of below so that it mimics the Coc's a little more.

I think their has been posts about ISG springs have wide variation just as the Coc's do as well.

I'd really like to attend the ABOS sometime but I doubt I could get to it this year. It's difficult for me to get the time off when I need it, unless I know by November of the previous year :angry:

About the only thing I'm planning to do stateside this year is head to the Nascar race at Michigan speedway in June, I think my girlfriend's dad trucks into Indiana to one of the autoplants (GM) Fort Wayne ring a bell?

BTW I still haven't got a metal ruler yet, been busy as hell the past two days maybe next week....

Thanks for following my progress guys!

Jon@han

Brought my grippers into work with me so I attempted a med Coc workout here's how it went:

T: x1 held for 8 count

#1 SH wt???? x8 count, x8count, x8count, x8count, x10 count

I forgot to bring my strap setup so I improvised with a paper thin dish towel and some canned goods. I'm damn happy with this as my left hand can finally hold the strap tight enough for a good count.

#1: x10 count

ISG@157(3 9) x5 singles problem being I need to assist shutting the last mm but then I was able to hold for a 5 count each time.

ISG@92 (2 6) x20reps feeling the need for some endurance in my grip.

Finished the job with some shot rotations 3 sets of 25-30 rotations!!

All in all I'm quite happy with todays round

Jon@han

This week I kindof crashed and burned on my other training. Could my focus on gripper training be effecting my barbell workouts??? Seems to be, I can't do jack lately. On Monday I usually do my heavy day of barbell work but I had no gas in the tank so I did my heavy Coc routine:

ISG@169 X1

#2: x1 attempt about 1cm away still

#3: x1 attempt to force shut, repeated (can't even close the thing against my thigh :blush )

#2: x4 forced shuts held for 5 seconds each.

ISG negatives: @202x1, @242x1, @297 partial only :blush

ISG@102 x20 reps

Felt good.

Tues I tried my heavy barbell work and crashed out totally.

Wed today, light Coc training:

#1: x1, x1

T: x10 singles

isg@130 x10 singles

ISG@102 x15L, 15R

Jon@han

Yesterday medium coc training:

T:x1

#1SH@3.75lbs x8 holds for a count of 8 except the last one my Left hand was unable to close.

ISG@157 x8 closes some required help on the last mm held for a 5count.

ISG@107 x15

Felt pretty good.

Jon@han

Changing my other training around in a drastic way so now I'll be doing my coc trainin on Mon-heavy, wed-light, fri-med. So last night I did my heavy coc training here's how it went:

T:x1 8 count

#1: x1 5count

ISG@169: shut!!! it's nice to finally close it without assistance. I was beginning to think I'd never get up to that 200 I hit in front of my parents.

#2 attempt 1cm away then forced shut held for 5count

#3 attempt -pathetic I wonder if the handles even moved?

#2 force shuts held for 5count x8 singles.

ISG@109 x15 reps

while doing the #2 force shuts I worked in some outerlimit loops @10lbs 4 sets of 10 rows.

Jon@han

Light Coc training today

T: closed for a 10 count x10 singles

ISG@137 cloesed for 5 count x5 singles

ISG@109 12reps left, 15 right

felt pretty good I also closed the #1 for 8 singles this am as a warm up, going to try to get a warmup preworkout in the am prior to my routine.

Jon@han

Well I finally got a thin metal ruler!!! It had that corkboard backing but it scraped off easy enough. It's fantastic much more challenging to do strapholds with it and yet it is easier to set compared to something that is pliable. Here's how my medium training went:

#1sh@3.75 lbs with the ruler...nope couldn't hold it with either hand

#1sh@1/2lb held for 8 count x10 singles! Fantastic!!

ISG@157 x3 singles held for 5 count, x5singles with other hand supporting gripper held for 5 count

ISG@113 x18reps Left, 17right

Felt pretty good. I highly reccomend the metal ruler setup for straps...it's so much easier to place into position and is so thin and slippery it forces a true hard crush!!!

Jon@han