Rgc?

easyWeight

I still think the grippers should be calibrated from the middle due to the fact that that would give the most accurate rating for actually closing a gripper :D

Because you close grippers with just your middle finger or what? :)

I still think the grippers should be calibrated from the middle due to the fact that that would give the most accurate rating for actually closing a gripper :D

It would provide much less consistent results. A mm in one way or the other makes a difference. The end of the handle is much more repeatable.

• Like 1

I realized that maybe you meant "most accurate rating" as in the actual number should be higher, not that the number obtained at the middle of the handle would be more precise. In that case, think of the calibrations as a reference point. In a way, I think we've all accepted that it's not an ideal system. But as far as getting a number that's relatively useful in comparing two grippers, it's helpful. Calibrating at the end of the handle is less work, and like Magnus said probably more precise.

I realized that maybe you meant "most accurate rating" as in the actual number should be higher, not that the number obtained at the middle of the handle would be more precise. In that case, think of the calibrations as a reference point. In a way, I think we've all accepted that it's not an ideal system. But as far as getting a number that's relatively useful in comparing two grippers, it's helpful. Calibrating at the end of the handle is less work, and like Magnus said probably more precise.

...and on a purely practical level, it means using less weight to acheive the same result...moving the measure point to centre would do nothing more than effectively double the weight you'd need to use AND heft! :rolleyes

I thought about using a 4" wide strap - to mimic an average hand - but it's obvious the weight lifted would be much higher than just using a 1" strap out on the end of the handle.

• 13 years later...
On 8/25/2009 at 1:07 PM, Cannon said:

What exactly does RGC stand for? I've seen multiple answers but I would trust yours the most

6 minutes ago, Kevin Gripz said:

What exactly does RGC stand for? I've seen multiple answers but I would trust yours the most

Rating a gripper at close, also sometimes redneck gripper calibration but people don't seem to like that one as much..they're sort of used interchangeably though

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

Rating a gripper at close, also sometimes redneck gripper calibration but people don't seem to like that one as much..they're sort of used interchangeably though

Thank you sir, I appreciate you!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kevin Gripz said:

Thank you sir, I appreciate you!

Yeah, we really prefer calling the measurement a "rating." 

Calibration is not accurate because calibration would have to be done during the manufacturing process. Calibration requires meticulous accuracy and consistency in production to achieve a desired outcome within a specified tolerance. For example, calibrated plates. Taking the measurement after the fact is really just that--a measurement or rating. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2023 at 4:27 PM, C8Myotome said:

Redneck Gripper Calibrator/Calibration was the original source of the initials "RGC".  "Rating Gripper at Close" is something that was made up later to fit the letters.  If you dig around, you might be able to find the original discussion about finding a way to objectively compare grippers

I think this was the start: 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, bdckr said:

"Rating Gripper at Close"

I had never seen this until this thread. That's kind of clever.

2 hours ago, Cannon said:

I had never seen this until this thread. That's kind of clever.

Pretty sure Chris Rice came up with that.  Brent Barbe was the first to mention it to me.  I've included it in multiple gripper products and youtube videos.

• Like 1