Nathan Holle - 2003

David Morton - 2003

Tommy Heslep - 2004

Magnus Samuelsson - 2004

This is from IM's own website.

I think what you meant is video proof of #4 closes which means

nothing to some on this board.

Mighty Joe

He was saying IMs official 5 IN ADDITION to the people he listed, he said that as one entity that included those 5 people.

I believe Gorilla Hands also closed one but I'm not positive. We've had this discussion before many times I'll try to dig up an old thread.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• acorn

• Magnus

• jad

• vikingsrule92

Big congrats Aaron! That is an amazing feat of strength.

Tim

literally got home saw the package in the mail ran in opened it and gave the #4 a squeeze. We had to leave for a dinner appointment in like 5 minutes so I grabbed a #3 closed it hard, grabbed a #3.5 made the handles click loudly, then set up the camera did this close and ran out the door for dinner.
P.s. I hate you.

:dry:bow

Hey acorn, can you bend the plier hands together with one hand now? I'm not even gonna talk about the #4 close... that really is an unbelievable feat of strength.

Awesome Aaron you smacked that sucker shut nice work!!!!! :mosher:mosher:mosher:mosher:mosher

Congratulations Aaron!!

You've probably been strong enough to do this for awhile, but now it's official. :)

Yea! For Aaron!

Rico

Just seen this, Amazing strength Aaron, congrats bro. :rock

I have to wonder.... Aaron says that about 10 years ago or so, he was Clean+Jerking over 400 pounds and deadlifting over 800. I know some have a hard time believing it but I do. People always say that overall body strength helps grip tremendously. If he would've focused on grip the way he's been doing in the past, I don't know, 2-3 years (??), back then when his overall body strength was so incredible... would it be fair to assume he would've gotten even stronger? I'm curious.

Or is there a point where overall strength doesn't help much. Like, if you can DL 500 then you're strong enough to get worldclass good at any grip event. Or a guy who DL's 750 has a greater potential just because of that?

I have to wonder.... Aaron says that about 10 years ago or so, he was Clean+Jerking over 400 pounds and deadlifting over 800. I know some have a hard time believing it but I do. People always say that overall body strength helps grip tremendously. If he would've focused on grip the way he's been doing in the past, I don't know, 2-3 years (??), back then when his overall body strength was so incredible... would it be fair to assume he would've gotten even stronger? I'm curious.

Or is there a point where overall strength doesn't help much. Like, if you can DL 500 then you're strong enough to get worldclass good at any grip event. Or a guy who DL's 750 has a greater potential just because of that?

As Eaton and I joke, "Aaron's a thoroughbred!". I think his explosiveness plays a bigger role than his overall bodystrength. I've watched Aaron compete in person twice and a ton of his videos and IMO the thing that is most impressive is how explosive he is. It's like he can just fire all his fibers at any given time. I remember watching him do 1HDL at MGC and it looked more like he was trying to explosively row it vs dl. Same thing on the grippers, who else can MMS close their choker max (at parallel)? It's obvious that he was an Elite athlete at one time and IMO that stupid amount of fast twitch fibers he has plays a bigger role than some of his gym numbers.

jad: thanks for your input bud. However, my other question remains: how strong is "strong enough" to develop a monster grip? I ask because of this, for example: Wade Gillingham recently stated that he has done 600x1 in the DeadLift, using DO no-hook grip. But he said he wouldn't be surprised if his brothers could do more because this is "supporting grip" and "it favours the stronger man". But isn't Wade already hellishly strong? I mean, he deadlifts over 600 for sure... isn't that enough body strength? Or is he at a disadvantage against, for example, one of his brothers who can DL 200 more pounds? I would've personally thought that at that point, it didn't matter.

jad: thanks for your input bud. However, my other question remains: how strong is "strong enough" to develop a monster grip? I ask because of this, for example: Wade Gillingham recently stated that he has done 600x1 in the DeadLift, using DO no-hook grip. But he said he wouldn't be surprised if his brothers could do more because this is "supporting grip" and "it favours the stronger man". But isn't Wade already hellishly strong? I mean, he deadlifts over 600 for sure... isn't that enough body strength? Or is he at a disadvantage against, for example, one of his brothers who can DL 200 more pounds? I would've personally thought that at that point, it didn't matter.

You seem to be asking two separate questions.

Question #1: To be world class at grip, is it required to have a level of overall strength beyond point X?

Question #2: Would going beyond point X help you grip?

For the first question, I'd say that you can defintely be world class in grip without having numbers like that of a national level powerlifter or strongman. Deadlifting 600 pounds, e.g. is plenty for anything you'd encounter in competition, including things like Dinny Stones, a WR axle attempt, etc.

Would going beyond 600 be of help? Definitely, though it's not required to be world class.

-Rex