My Search For An Inch Dumbbell...

Jaz

So a long time ago i saw in ironmind about the inch dumbbell. I wanted it, but at the time i didn't have the money.

So now I feel like i have a decent enough balance and I want to buy one. I of course check the ironmind website, i didn't see it for sale so i emailed them. They replied and in short said "no". I tried richard sorins comany because apparently they carried them. No luck. I searched the net for a long time and came up dry. I tried ebay several times, never even saw one. Finally i came to the gripboard where I read about heavygriptools. I emailed them a couple days ago, along with londonkettlebells (another company i found (i think on here)).

Lol here are the replies.

"Hello

yes I do shippings to canada, but its quite expensive. Its 490 CAD$ up to 3 or 4 dumbbells (it means you pay for one dumbbell the same as for 3 or 4 dumbbells). But I did not yet get the exactly quote for this from the shipping company, but it will be around this price.

The dumbbell would be 440 CAD$."

My reply was something along the lines of "I could buy a car and melt it down for cheaper"

Londonkettlebells response to my email to them mentioned that yes the price was in pounds, and that shipping wasn't included. Oh and did i mention the price -399 british pounds........

I did some quick calculations, here is what i came up with (google)

"399 British pounds = 710.81124 Canadian dollars"

I almost puked when i saw this number. Keep in mind that shipping would probably be around 400+ pounds as well. Not to mention the payment id have to make to UPS or whatever when it arrives too.

altogether i come up with 1400++ dollars.

This was my reply..

"That would be close yo 600 dollars Canadian. That doesn't even include shipping, which would be another 500+ dollars or so it sounds. I could fly to the USA and make a mould, fly back, build a forge in my backyard, take a course on blacksmithing, buy the steel. And finally make the bell... It would cost me less then what I would pay your company......

Thanks anyways."

Thought id post this for you guys, in case any of you are planning on getting an inch...

Oh and if anyone has any leads on where i can get one that is on THIS CONTINENT, please let me know!

I think my max for the bell itself is 350 dollars or so. I honestly dont want to pay 500 dollars for 172 pounds of iron.

- Im starting to think i could buy a mould (or make one from some flimsy mould of someone elses) and take it to a foundry here in calgary (im sure we have one) and save myself 300 dollars.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jaz

• mobsterone

• maidenfan

• The Mac

So, in short, you want quite a lot of something for not very much.

There are plenty of threads about getting Inch Dumbells bought and made, and they don't come in a great deal cheaper - the reason for this is that they are not that cheap to make, at least in the quantities required. I am sure that if you can make find them cheaper the world will beat a path to your door - good luck with that.

Steel is expensive, and shipping definitely is expensive as well.

I bought mine from Theo and I had to drive 300 miles to pick it up, but as I see from all other threads about it, it was well worth it ;)

Try finding some more people in your neighbourhood wanting to buy one, and buy them together. you should get the dumbbells a bit cheaper then, and you can split the shipping costs ;)

Edited by White Scorpion

God forbid a company make a buck as well. Threads here have clearly stated that the odd company that made them sold 8 (yes 8) in a year. That's EIGHT per annum. And 'ha ha' shipping is ''so expensive''. Well what a shocker. :dry

Yeah, I figured out years ago that getting one was going to cost a lot more than I was willing to spend just to say I have an Inch(replica). I bought a Coulter Bell instead for a fraction of what I would have paid for an Inch and it's just fine. If I ever pick that up I'll dominate any Inch.

So, in short, you want quite a lot of something for not very much.

There are plenty of threads about getting Inch Dumbells bought and made, and they don't come in a great deal cheaper - the reason for this is that they are not that cheap to make, at least in the quantities required. I am sure that if you can make find them cheaper the world will beat a path to your door - good luck with that.

Ill pay 100 dollars more then the person paid for it.... which is completely reasonable. Ill also pay for shipping. Thats around 500 dollars..

God forbid a company make a buck as well. Threads here have clearly stated that the odd company that made them sold 8 (yes 8) in a year. That's EIGHT per annum. And 'ha ha' shipping is ''so expensive''. Well what a shocker. :dry

If they arent selling more then 8 a year then you reduce production...... Even made to order. You make it so that you get a group of guys who pay up front, and then you make a batch of say 10.

and "a buck" is almost double the cost of the originals... So companies can complain all they want, but with a little creative problem solving and engineering the problem could be solved.

If ironmind announced that they would do what i just suggested, off the bat they would sell a very handsome amount. They could even mark up the price another 50 dollars, it would still be less expensive then the other ones.

So, you asked how much it would cost to buy and ship an Inch replica, and when you didn't like the answer, you responded with an attitude.

Alrighty.

So, you asked how much it would cost to buy and ship an Inch replica, and when you didn't like the answer, you responded with an attitude.

Alrighty.

For the first guy i actually just said that i understood how it was so expensive (shipping) and thanked him anyways.

But the second guy, yep that was attitude. I find it offensive for them to be asking for so much, thus i responded the way I did.

- Im starting to think i could buy a mould (or make one from some flimsy mould of someone elses) and take it to a foundry here in calgary (im sure we have one) and save myself 300 dollars.

Git-r-dun.

If they arent selling more then 8 a year then you reduce production...... Even made to order. You make it so that you get a group of guys who pay up front, and then you make a batch of say 10.

and "a buck" is almost double the cost of the originals... So companies can complain all they want, but with a little creative problem solving and engineering the problem could be solved.

If ironmind announced that they would do what i just suggested, off the bat they would sell a very handsome amount. They could even mark up the price another 50 dollars, it would still be less expensive then the other ones.

It sounds like this could be a good money-making project for you. All of us here at the Gripboard encourage you to go for it. After one respected member gives a good review of the finished product and pronounces that it is as good or better than the previous ones sold by IronMind or Sorinex, and after it is shown that the price will be considered fair by propective customers, I am sure the demand will be great enough that many of them will be sold and you will make plenty of money doing it. If it is a success, what you will have learned may even be enough to help you start up a grip specialty equipment company that treats its customers fairly and you will be rewarded financially. I know a good Chartered Accountant firm in Canada that is always looking for successful clients to assist with their business and tax matters.

What are the odds of all of the above happening? Better, much better, than closing the Number 4. It would be, however, more work.

I find it offensive for them to be asking for so much, thus i responded the way I did.

So he has something of which there are very few worldwide, he knows there's a market and he expects to make a large profit? How could he be so callous? It's like selling a Porsche vs a Chevy, limited supply = higher price.

Good luck finding a foundry where you will "save $300". There is nothing cheap about operating a metal shop of any kind, so I doubt you could save $300 if you bought 10 DBs from a shop that has no experience making them. But seriously, if you find a shop, and cost/shipping/customs fees/etc are less than $400, I'll take one. I'll use it to warm up for my Coulter DBs!!

If you want any chance on getting an Inch, politeness and courtesy will help you greatly. You won't find an Inch for what you want pay. You might have better luck going to a machinist and having them turn an Inch trainer on a lathe like Zach did. If you would kindly ask him, I bet he could give you the specs. In any case, it ain't cheap, and I bet you end up spending around $700- $1000 dollars in the process unless you get a metal lathe and do the labor yourself. How bad do you want it again? :D

Edited by Foxman

Only way your going to get an "Inch" for the price range you want is to make your own version. I made mine out of roundstock steel and welded it up. You could easily have one made for your price range. Not the same thing? Close enough for govt work if you ask me. If you're still not convinced simply make the thing 180lbs, 200lbs, etc, or polish the crap out of the handle and make it slick. If you can lift that the inch will go up just fine. Heck, you may even be able to get Pexter to make you one of his fancy adjustable dumbells (not cheap, but probably cheaper than an Inch replica)

Adjustable DB

Edited by maidenfan

I got my Inch about a year ago on Ebay. ended up paying almost $400 for it plus close to $200 in shipping. They are expensive. I know I've certainly thought about setting up a small home foundry big enough to build a few of these bells a year. But thats still gonna take awhile. I've come up with some decent alternatives though but still the cost for a solid dumbell with the alternatives is in the same range.

- Aaron

I got my Inch about a year ago on Ebay. ended up paying almost $400 for it plus close to $200 in shipping. They are expensive. I know I've certainly thought about setting up a small home foundry big enough to build a few of these bells a year. But thats still gonna take awhile. I've come up with some decent alternatives though but still the cost for a solid dumbell with the alternatives is in the same range.

- Aaron

I suspect that is as good as it gets. "Possibly" the only way to beat it is to pick it up from someone's place yourself. But unless you live within 100 miles, you are not going to beat the $200 in shipping.

With the bad economy and all, there could be someone who would be willing to sell one "that cheap", but because everyone paid a minimum of $250 plus shipping, many years ago, for something no longer produced, any Inch someone finds is going to be a real find.

Do it. Kiss goodbye to the cash. :dry When you've learnt how some of us might actually know what's what and you're down a few bucks will you feel less bitter or more?

Here's a thought. If said item was in demand and could be made and shipped cheaply by companies already in a position to do so (four that you've mentioned already) yet none were able to do so cheaply and then ship 5000+ miles for less than a $ a pound what makes you think you can?

Let's say you reduce production (I said they SOLD 8 per year not produced but what the hey) to 4. Now it's the same start up costs as before but only 4 bells to the the dollars back on. So the price goes up (cost of making spread over 4 not 10, 8 whatever). Now you have to ship them across North America. Go ahead and get a quote but be sure to allow for the container (crate etc) you'll pack them in.

Finally the group thing... been done. But of course the prices you were quoted were for one. Indeed HGT told you that it's as cheap to freight 3 as it is one. But as you say there's more shipping to the door. The sheer weight makes some (DHL) prohibitive. I might have some knowledge in this area selling 3 Millennium dumbbells to Kim Wood a few years back. It cost Kim $2000 back in 2001. And he still had to pay from the docks to his door plus all the taxes and fees.

Like someone else said..your best bet for getting a reasonable deal on an inch from HGtools is to get a few guys and make an order and split costs, thats what we did downunder and it was still quite expensive, my only regret is not getting a baby inch at the time cause I cant see another order happening in the next 20 years :(

I might have some knowledge in this area selling 3 Millennium dumbbells to Kim Wood a few years back. It cost Kim $2000 back in 2001. And he still had to pay from the docks to his door plus all the taxes and fees.

Hey Steve... what about selling one of those Millennium dumbells now? Do you have one and would you sell it to me? I'd like one in my area just for those thrillseekers and the crazy brave. :D

Do it. Kiss goodbye to the cash. :dry When you've learnt how some of us might actually know what's what and you're down a few bucks will you feel less bitter or more?

Here's a thought. If said item was in demand and could be made and shipped cheaply by companies already in a position to do so (four that you've mentioned already) yet none were able to do so cheaply and then ship 5000+ miles for less than a $ a pound what makes you think you can?

Let's say you reduce production (I said they SOLD 8 per year not produced but what the hey) to 4. Now it's the same start up costs as before but only 4 bells to the the dollars back on. So the price goes up (cost of making spread over 4 not 10, 8 whatever). Now you have to ship them across North America. Go ahead and get a quote but be sure to allow for the container (crate etc) you'll pack them in.

Finally the group thing... been done. But of course the prices you were quoted were for one. Indeed HGT told you that it's as cheap to freight 3 as it is one. But as you say there's more shipping to the door. The sheer weight makes some (DHL) prohibitive. I might have some knowledge in this area selling 3 Millennium dumbbells to Kim Wood a few years back. It cost Kim $2000 back in 2001. And he still had to pay from the docks to his door plus all the taxes and fees.

Its not the shipping im talking about here. Thats expected. I would pay 200 dollars in shipping without a problem.

I doubt that any of these companies are producing the items themselves, because if they were they would have lots more control over the actual price. If steel is too expensive why not make it out of concrete? Calculating the weight from the spherical volume of each globe on the end would not be too difficult, An iron pipe could be use as the handle. Concrete is much cheaper to work with. They could even just sell the instructions, or the moulds to produce the globes and the iron pipe. Also i thought id mention that a tonne of steel (not scrap) costs under 1000$.

The only reason im complaining is because the 700 dollar price mentioned above is more reasonable. I would have had to pay over 1400 dollars.... In what way is this not a reasonable complaint?????

And i dont see myself as being cheap here. If you check any of the other inch boards, people are saying that they dont want to pay over 250 dollars for a single unit... I think the highest i saw was 350.

I might as well just make one myself, at least to prove it can be done. Concrete seems like a decent idea, i can add scrap metal to take down the size and increase the weight. If i wasnt currently in university trying to get through my engineering degree i would happily experiment with it.

During the summer i think ill have a go at it.

Jaz concrete is the way to go for the financially challenged amongst us. i think I calculated a globe diameter of about 12"/30cm in order to make the weight of an Inch. I've toyed with the idea of using a couple of old basket balls as moulds, casting one at a time in a vertical fashion.

Its not the shipping im talking about here. Thats expected. I would pay 200 dollars in shipping without a problem.

I doubt that any of these companies are producing the items themselves, because if they were they would have lots more control over the actual price. If steel is too expensive why not make it out of concrete? Calculating the weight from the spherical volume of each globe on the end would not be too difficult, An iron pipe could be use as the handle. Concrete is much cheaper to work with. They could even just sell the instructions, or the moulds to produce the globes and the iron pipe. Also i thought id mention that a tonne of steel (not scrap) costs under 1000$.

The only reason im complaining is because the 700 dollar price mentioned above is more reasonable. I would have had to pay over 1400 dollars.... In what way is this not a reasonable complaint?????

And i dont see myself as being cheap here. If you check any of the other inch boards, people are saying that they dont want to pay over 250 dollars for a single unit... I think the highest i saw was 350.

I might as well just make one myself, at least to prove it can be done. Concrete seems like a decent idea, i can add scrap metal to take down the size and increase the weight. If i wasnt currently in university trying to get through my engineering degree i would happily experiment with it.

During the summer i think ill have a go at it.

Check the Slaters bells. They already do something like that.

Regarding the 700 bucks. It's one thing to want to pay less (hell we all want to do that) but if the items were sold at that price the people making them would need to sleep on your floor. 8 bells, 10 bells, whatever. At 350 bucks a po they ain't gonna make enough to pay their bills. Simple as.