Bullitt's Journal

Guest Bullitt

Walk with the family.  3 ticks.  Two on my wife. 1 attached to boy's ear.  Apparently I don't taste good as I had zero.  Guess we need to start DEETing up before heading into woods.  

Screenshot_20200501-171028_MapMyRun.jpg

IMG_09061.jpg

IMG_09041.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/29/2020 at 10:40 AM, Mike Rinderle said:

BP: 300 for a double.  Thought about trying a 3rd rep but quit while I was ahead.  Lol

Sawyer got 15 for a 2 x 2.  🥰

Steeerong! And you did pretty good too, Mike!

Does Sawyer use one of those hollow standard bars?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

He's got a plastic one that I put 2.5 on each side for floor presses in the family room.  Not sure it would hold anymore.  Need to get him a training bar for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EricMilfeld said:

Whatever we've been feeding him has been working...

Screenshot_20200501-191206_FACEinHOLE.jpg

• Haha 2

Boy and I worked out together again today.  I went for a rep pr with 225 and felt like I was going to get it.  Hammy cramped on 10th rep.  Did 11th with my left leg in the air.  Lol.  Shut it down there.  

Then band work: press downs, assisted pullups, straight arm pull downs, curls.

• Like 2

I've had that same thing happen. Not the leg in the air thing, but the other part. You were probable smart to shut it down.  I just kept going.

• Like 1

Only about 2 hours sleep in the the last 36 due to work, but I needed to get some work in.  

Bench: up to 225 x 13.9... again

Yates rows up to 185 x 20.  No straps, so my forearms got a good workout too

Band curls

Pasta with homemade turkey meat sauce for post workout meal.

• Like 1

Worked up to 240 x 10 on bench.

Band press downs, upright rows, and curls.

• Like 2

Discovered a new branch on one of our usual trail systems.  Very hilly.  Boy and wife handled it better than daddy.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=9222dc44f9f5c4e6

Screenshot_20200514-175459_MapMyRun.jpg

IMG_11791.jpg

IMG_11741.jpg

20200514_164302.jpg

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 2

Nice! But you obviously dye your beard. Adam doesn’t call me Santa Claws for nothing. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Nice! But you obviously dye your beard. Adam doesn’t call me Santa Claws for nothing. 

It looks a lot darker in that pic from all the sweat.  I have the skunk beard.  White down the middle and on the sides.  Haha

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

It looks a lot darker in that pic from all the sweat.  I have the skunk beard.  White down the middle and on the sides.  Haha

Hey that’s actually pretty cool. Didn’t Wolfman Jack sport that style? Mine is akin to snow with a light dusting of chimney soot. And that’s even cooler, FYI. 

• Haha 1

Wife and I got to hit the trail without Sawyer today.  Was a mix of fast walking, slow jogging, and grinding up a lot of steep hills.  Surprised myself.

Screenshot_20200516-195038_MapMyRun.jpg

Wife and I jogged along with the boy while he went on his first bike ride on a public trail (asphalt).  My first actual jog of the year.  Felt ok, but need some new kicks.  My dogs are screaming.

Screenshot_20200517-171052_MapMyRun.jpg

• Like 3

Had a little time today, so I hit the shed for some OHP.  I am terrible at it.  Basically my upper back and shoulder flexibility is so bad, it's tough to press an empty bar overhead.  Literally feels like I have invisible 45s on there.  Lol.

Worked up to a double with 150 and then dropped back down to 135 for 2 sets of 5.  None of which were easy.  But I got some work in.

• Like 1

Picked up the pace a little today.  Not much, but a lil bit.  Slight hills, but nothing major.  263 bw

Screenshot_20200521-195002_MapMyRun.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/20/2020 at 2:39 PM, Mike Rinderle said:

Had a little time today, so I hit the shed for some OHP.  I am terrible at it.  Basically my upper back and shoulder flexibility is so bad, it's tough to press an empty bar overhead.  Literally feels like I have invisible 45s on there.  Lol.

Worked up to a double with 150 and then dropped back down to 135 for 2 sets of 5.  None of which were easy.  But I got some work in.

You’re not alone. My strict press isn’t much better than half of my bench. And that’s counting the invisible plates!

• Haha 1

Just now, EricMilfeld said:

You’re not alone. My strict press isn’t much better than half of my bench. And that’s counting the invisible plates!

Yea, it's just an extremely hard move for me.  Strangely doesn't niggle my shoulders like bench though.  I do them, but I rarely see any gains in weight on the bar.

• Like 2

Finally had time for a real workout.

Bench:

W/bands (70lb off at bottom & slack at top): worked up to a single with 375 using slingshot.  Then dropped to 315, ditched the slanger and did 2 sets of 4.

No bands: close grip: 185 x 10.  Regular grip: 135 x 20 with 3 second pause.

Then supersey 135 lb barbell rows superset with band press downs.  5 sets of 10 each.  Used different width grips on each set of rows.

Finished up with band curl drop set.  

Destroyed.

• Like 1

2nd workout of day.  Wife and I hit the trail and shaved 4:44 off our time.  Gonna leave a mark.  

Screenshot_20200523-204047_MapMyRun.jpg

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 6:30 PM, Mike Rinderle said:

Yea, it's just an extremely hard move for me.  Strangely doesn't niggle my shoulders like bench though.  I do them, but I rarely see any gains in weight on the bar.

OHP feels good for me. So much so I’m considering giving up benching due to constant niggles. Pretty neat how we all have different strengths and weaknesses. 

• Like 2

Boy and I did some farmers walks today.  

Bumpy back yard & sligthly uphill / downhill about 25' each way.

He and I both did 42 lbs.

I did the following up and back:

190, 360, 440.  Then I did 500.  But I had to rest between the uphill and the downhill on that one.  My ankles and right hip seemed to be pretty angry with me.  762 lbs total waddling along will do that I guess.  Lol

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 3

Nice farmers, gentlemen!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a bad right hip for awhile now.  Arthritis diagnosed in it 15 years ago.  It's progressively gotten worse, but I've always been able to manage it by training around it when it flares up and copious amounts of ibu and tylenol.  It hasn't stopped me from doing much.  I mean, in the last year I've still been able to squat, deadlift, farmers walk, etc. although I always paid for it for a couple days afterwards.  But it has really gotten bad recently.  To the point where I haven’t been able to sleep well or move around like I should.  Pain radiating down femur, etc.

So, I got an appointment with the top sports medicine hip doc in our area this morning.  X-rays showed that the Arthur has progressed from mild to moderate 15 years ago to severe now.  They also think I probably have a torn labrum in my right hip.

Doc was really good.  Said some surgeons would say replacement right away, but since I was relatively young at 52 and had good muscle strength he wants to try to control pain and see if we can't keep the original in there as long as possible. 

He put me on 200mg Celebrex and I'm going in next Wednesday morning to do an x-ray guided cortisone shot deep into the hip socket.  I've had a dozen or so cortisone shots in my life, but the thought of having a big ol needle digging in my groin is not something I'm looking forward to.  Especially since it may be something that we have to repeat every several months.

As far as lifting, he basically said listen to my body.  Damage is already done, but he said to avoid going heavy on squats and that heavy farmers were not a good idea.  Other than that, figure out what I can do without pain and go with it.  After all that, he did say, "but you're almost 53 and have arthritis in all your major joints and have been to our practice for shoulder, elbow, and hip all in the last 18 months.  Maybe easing up on the weights and find some activities that will be a little easier on your body would be smart."  Then he laughed and said he probably just wasted his breath, but he had to say it.  He's a lifter too. Lol

So, we'll see how it goes.  I'll concentrate on upper body for awhile, lose some more weight, and hopefully this gets me through the next 5 - 10 years with my current hardware.  

All in all, I'm pretty happy.  Beats months of recovery.  

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 2

Hope it all works out for you bud. 

• Thanks 1